Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will my tires ever come clean

Another thing to remember is that if you like the results of Tuf-Shine Clearcoat, and keep using it perhaps, just 1 quick coat after the first time you wash the tires again, it will build up a little at a time, and eventually, you will perhaps find that place where you really like the way they look after the regular maintenance wash and use that awesome orange Tuf-shine applicator sponge to go over them all real quick..

Been using this product since it first came out around 10 years ago I believe, and it has never done anything but improve the looks of hundreds of tires that have gone through the shop and all my personal vehicle tires..

And I also vote for the Tuf-Shine Cleaner to be the best one I have ever used for cleaning and preparing the tires for the Clearcoat product..

Dan F
    Likes mobiledynamics, Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Yes, as simple as it is, the dumb little orange sponge is not that dumb. It`s the perfect density, the puuuuufect applicator !
    Likes Stokdgs, Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vegas1....it`s hard to explain until you`ve used that orange sponge. But once you do, you might be like me, and buy a few extras to have as spare just in case they don`t make them anymore or switch production. It is really such a overlooked ~simple tool~ that is perfect is soooo many ways.
    Likes Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Try this

Post Thanks / Like

It is kind of expensive- but it cleans tires better than anything out there
    You have to get the can /foam-- the liquid concentrate just is not the same
    This stuff gets the brown off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Vegas, fwiw 1 coat is enough for me on TS. 2 coats is too glossy for me...but then it might be right for the masses eyes
    Then 1 coat it is. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not saying don`t clean your tires......but tire manuf. put anti aging compounds in rubber for a reason. My detailing regime has evolved over the years and for sure , one of them is tires. I don`t scrub brown out anymore. I just do a very mild degrease, HP pressure wash, dry and apply.

It is sooooooo simple to apply, I just top off if needed.
    Likes Vegas1, The Driver, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Never had a tire fail prematurely cause I cleaned one side of the sidewalls too much, and I bet you`d be hard pressed to find a case of it happening. Some people worry about little things way too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Tires are the 1 thing that is most dearest to me in any car.....on my leasers, at 24 months, I often will get new rubber, and sell the used ones on Craigslist. I value rubber...With that said, it`s not long enough to see a failure but the fact that anti aging compounds exist in rubber (manuf put them in for a reason), why go to great lengths to scrub it out.

Maybe this would be a different conversation if we dial it back and I am using Z16 and wanted to extend as much life as I wanted out of each application.

In modern times with modern detailing supplies, TS is soooooo easy to apply even that if the ~look~ falls off, all I need to do is just give it another `swipe of the sponge.
    Likes Vegas1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Tires are the 1 thing that is most dearest to me in any car.....on my leasers, at 24 months, I often will get new rubber, and sell the used ones on Craigslist. I value rubber...With that said, it`s not long enough to see a failure but the fact that anti aging compounds exist in rubber (manuf put them in for a reason), why go to great lengths to scrub it out.

Maybe this would be a different conversation if we dial it back and I am using Z16 and wanted to extend as much life as I wanted out of each application.

In modern times with modern detailing supplies, TS is soooooo easy to apply even that if the ~look~ falls off, all I need to do is just give it another `swipe of the sponge.
    I`m with you on tires - that is literally where the rubber meets the road and is critical for handling and safety.
    I have TS cleaner and coating and late spring before I swapped out my snow tires I scrubbed and scrubbed with TS Cleaner until the foam was white and applied a few layers of TS Coating. It lasted a couple of months - which seems to be a way shorter time than most others are experiencing, but way longer than all the other tire dressings I have used. I had recently applied Optimum All Purpose Cleaner diluted and I think that stripped off the TS Coating. Anyhow, I don`t think I will use that anymore on the tires and simply use the car shampoos. Anyhow, I appreciate and am listening when you and others mention not to keep scrubbing and scrubbing those tires removing whatever and all the protection placed into them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually started a thread about this before...probably so long ago it won`t come up properly in the search. I also found that some high-alkaline cleaners seemed to endlessly pull the anti-ozonants from the tire, and decided that it wasn`t such a good idea to keep cleaning and cleaning. And newer tires are definitely more prone to this...as they have more anti-ozonants in them.

Over time I switched to cleaners that are less aggressive (at least to the anti-ozonants), as Stokdgs noted, the Tuf-Shine cleaner is one of the best. I also switched to better tire dressings which also seem to cause less browning. I`ve also discovered something else...I bought some CarPro Ech2O on a lark on a good sale. Usually when I do a rinseless wash I still do a conventional wash on wheels, because I like it better and because I have so much conventional soap to use up. Anyway, it was winter, so no hose, so I used the Ech2O on some dirty tires where the dressing was tired and had some brown spots. Darned if it didn`t shine the tires back up and lessen the brown.

In fact I just did this the other day, because I`m old and tired, instead of scrubbing and redressing some tires that had some brown around the edges, I scrubbed them just in the brown spots with the Ech2O, and hey--they`re not brown anymore.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Setec.
    Old-tired is a good combo

Old-tired-angry would not be a good combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, as a guy who simply *hates* sliming his tires, I`m finding this thread interesting, or at least amusing You guys make prepping for/applying the coatings/etc. sound just as bad as the stuff I hate doing! OK, I bet it`s not really as bad, but it really does sound like it to me.

I don`t seal/coat my tires so I guess I don`t *need* to get them all that clean, which is good since I don`t. I`m glad nobody seems to be damaging their tires doing it, but I dunno.....

Setec Astronomy- IIRC you`re not much, if any, older than I am and I`m certain you`re younger than Accumulatorette. If that`s indeed the case, mister...we`re not old yet, so you`re not..not by a long shot

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulat. Have you jumped the fence yet and tried a coating.

Tires is much different than paint...in that in comparison to paint, it`s really not ~that permanent~ on tires, I suppose just due to dynamics of how conditions tires see. Try it. Maybe it will be the 1st step to paint coatings , Ha.

I like it and it`s not overly gloss. The one thing is does it that it last a whole lot more than Z16 ...which was my former top tier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I`m with you on tires - that is literally where the rubber meets the road and is critical for handling and safety.
    I have TS cleaner and coating and late spring before I swapped out my snow tires I scrubbed and scrubbed with TS Cleaner until the foam was white and applied a few layers of TS Coating. It lasted a couple of months - which seems to be a way shorter time than most others are experiencing, but way longer than all the other tire dressings I have used. I had recently applied Optimum All Purpose Cleaner diluted and I think that stripped off the TS Coating. Anyhow, I don`t think I will use that anymore on the tires and simply use the car shampoos. Anyhow, I appreciate and am listening when you and others mention not to keep scrubbing and scrubbing those tires removing whatever and all the protection placed into them.
    What dilution ratio did you use? I use OPC at 5:1 out of an IK foamer and have had very good results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information