Post Thanks / Like

I tried Car Guys "Super Cleaner" today

After purchasing an Avalon Hybrid that all changed.

I had a lot of my supplies/towels still but decided I should probally invest in some new stuff.

As per my previous post I’ve only used diluted “Simple Green” to clean my interior before applying dressing in the past.

I purchased Car Guys “ Super Cleaner “ after reading a lot of very positive reviews.
    I gave it a try today and really liked it. Albeit I only have my memory of using diluted “Simple Green” from 10+ years to compare it to.

It was hard for me to judge how well it cleaned the interior and leather because my car was owned by a couple in their late 70’s and only drove it 5,000 miles a year. So it was in pretty much new condition when I got it. I doubt the trunk and backseat ever got used because the leather is absolutely perfect and buttery smooth.

I liked it and will more then likely purchase another bottle when empty.

***** The biggest con with this product is the $. Granted $15-$25 for a bottle of a car product is nothing un-realistic but when you compare it to the $5 - $9 stuff you might be used I can see where it might be a tough sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I tried Car Guys "Super Cleaner" today

I`m not familiar with their lineup, but good to know you had a positive experience with the product. Did you try it as a bug remover? I`m curious to see how it does with them. If you see yourself going through a lot of it, it`s available on Amazon in a gallon size for 45.00...much more economical than the price for the 18oz bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Spice&Wood83-Ah, just noticed that it has leather. Although coated leather is pretty resilient to all sorts of stuff (well...it`s as tough as its coating and/but when the coating gets compromised you gotta be a little careful), keep in mind that leather should be left slightly *acidic* and many cleaners are *alkaline*.

EDIT: In all fairness, I gotta say that using slightly alkaline cleaners never damaged the leather surfaces I used them on...but I was very conservative about dwell-time and rinsing and I did usually follow up with something slightly acidic.

Post Thanks / Like

Spice&Wood83:
    I assume you have purchased Car Guys Super Cleaner through Amazon, as I see from their "untested "(according to my virus checker) website that is the ONLY way you can buy their products.
    I`ve used Meg`s Detailer Line D101 All-Purpose Cleaner (D101-APC) and Optimum Polymer Technology`s Power Clean (OPC) diluted 3:1 (water-to-product), but that may be a little strong for leather. APC at that diluted ratio was too strong for leather on a Lazy Boy chair and removed the dye on it. Live and learn. I have also used Woolite, the laundry detergent, after seeing this as a cleaner suggested by GM on older Cadillac leathers in the 60`s from a former respected Forum member, Scottwax. There is still a debate if this is good product to use on leather.
    There are a host of dedicated care-care leather-leaning products and this particular subject draws a lot of attention (AKA questions and responses) in this forum.

I agree with Accumulator on his response to treating leather with a slight acid-based leather protectant/conditioner after cleaning. I currently use Griot`s Garage Leather Care (NOT the 3-in-1 Leather One Step) that I bought at Advance Auto, and it is pretty good. The one complaint that I have is the acid base that they use is urea acid and, yes, it smells like a dairy barn-yard to me after its application. I should know, growing up in rural Northeastern Wisconsin what that smell is like. Other individuals I have used this on in their vehicles with leather do not find it "offensive" and find it a "clean leather" smell. To each their own. It does dissipate in a few days anyway and the leather does look nice and natural when applied and removed properly.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, and of course just IMO, but the Final Word on leather care might be Richard Koh/The Leather Doctor. Big PIA to do business with, and pretty overkill by most standards, but his stuff is simply lightyears beyond most such products. Might be at least worth a bit of research, if only to see what he advocates.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Connelly leather cleaner when it was being discontinued and it works well. No idea if acidic or Alkalinic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That dude Darren from Auto Fetish Detail in sunny CA just put up a video about leather care on You Tube. I actually love his videos.

I’d say he is 100% correct. You’re not doing anything to leather on most newer(ish) cars - because the actual leather is sealed below a layer of some urethane like plastic type of clear coat stuff.

So, how I think of it is, you don’t want to use any cleaners that could damage that coating on top of the leather. TBH I think pretty much most diluted APCs will work fine. Some of Meguiars leather specific cleaners are fairly basic pH wise.. Or, you can use really any specific product designed to clean leather if you’re super concerned.

The trick is to keep it clean. Frequently clean it with something. That is the best way to preserve its appearance. “Protectants”, conditioners, & now paint like coatings are mostly a waste of time and money. If you keep it clean - you can use any waterless/rinseless wash to just wipe it down every so often. Simple

I will use some protectants - mostly because I like how they leave the leather looking, smelling, and feeling for a brief period. But, I’m under no delusion that rubbing anything on leather preserves it. Nor do I think it’s wise to let leather go until it gets so bad you need any specific product to clean it.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some of the Connolly Leather cleaner too. It’s nice and mild. The bottle should last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had, uhm....interesting...experiences with coated automotive leather, as I`ve posted before.

Conventional Wisdom: You can`t soften up`"condition" coated leather because if the coating is reasonably intact the [product] can`t penetrate the coating to actually do anything to/for the leather.

That makes perfect sense to me, and I`d expect it to make sense to anybody else too.

BUT..

My actual experience has been different. I`ve conditioned coated leather in good condition and made it a *LOT* softer. I figure the coating had micro-fissures/pores/something that allowed the product to work as desired, and/but even if I can`t explain it, I`ve experienced it first-hand.

FWIW, on the near-new interior of the S8 I just use The Leather Doctor`s PROTECTANT, not a conditoner. But on all of my other leather interiors, the conditioning provided results that "shouldn`t have happened". YMMV, see what works *for you*.

But yeah..99.9% of it is keeping the leather clean, and keeping stuff like skin oils/perspiration/dog slobber off of it. I usually get by with just some Interior QD. I haven`t actually "treated" any of my leather for years and it`s still doing fine.

Thread Information