Post Thanks / Like

APC for a specific purpose

I`ve been using Poorboys APC+D for a couple years now and it`s excellent for almost everything, however from my experience it`s severely lacking in one critical area. Sand/dirt. Specifically on textured interior plastics. You know those interiors that somehow they managed to coat every surface with a layer of heavy dust/dirt that sticks in the textured surface? I`ve tried PB APC+D at 15:1 (via steam injection) and at 7:1 (spray bottle). Dwell time, scrubbing with a brush, basically tons of effort and I still managed to have trouble getting the surface clean. Specifically the crevices of the textured surface.

I`m looking for recommendations for another APC that may be able to tackle this problem. I have another cleaner that I`ve found works but that`s for another discussion. I was hoping to find an APC that would work for this problem as the other option is a bit more cost prohibitive right now. Rather than shoot in the dark and try a bunch of them, I figured I`d see if anyone has some input.

I`m not bashing PB APC+D at all and will continue to use it for most of my needs, but I need to find something that will work better for this purpose.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: APC for a specific purpose

Krud Kutter `original` at 3:1 always works for me with coated textured leather

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB.
    I am hoping someone from Georgia, with its fine-red Georgia clay, would comment on cleaning textured exterior plastic trim, like that on a Chevy Avalance truck. I think clay is the type of dirt/sand your are talking about because that debris clings and binds so well to anything, and yes, it is nearly impossible to remove from porous or fabric surfaces.

My suggestion for an APC? Optimum Power Clean. I assume the type of brush you use makes a difference, like a harder nylon bristle or stiffer boar`s hair. I would NOT use Mr.Clean Magic Pads on them, as it is too abrasive and tends to scratch plastic surfaces, even "harder" exterior plastic trim.

Ultimate suggestion? Steam cleaner or small-engine power washer.
    GB detailer
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The best plastic cleaner I have ever used and I started using it over 15 years ago is still Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner from Germany..
    Awhile back the company sold or something and the people who worked there took over and renamed it - Nextzett -
    So the name of the cleaner is Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner I believe..

It has always worked very well, and leaves a nice satin finish, no grease, oils, silicones, dryer sheet stuff, etc., on the panel..
    Just clean, protected, and back to normal plastic.. Here is a link to it -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-9...l#.XPVcPRapH3g
    Dan F
    Likes trashmanssd, BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I concur on 1Z plastic clean. It is my go to for light color/door scuffs. Or before I coated the seats, light color and heavy color transfer.
    Be aware it`s a high ph. I like to work quick with this product *to minimize it`s time on the surface - clean it till the grime/color goes away. Then many many water sprays/MF`s due to it`s high PH
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ShaneB.
    I am hoping someone from Georgia, with its fine-red Georgia clay, would comment on cleaning textured exterior plastic trim, like that on a Chevy Avalance truck. I think clay is the type of dirt/sand your are talking about because that debris clings and binds so well to anything, and yes, it is nearly impossible to remove from porous or fabric surfaces.

My suggestion for an APC? Optimum Power Clean. I assume the type of brush you use makes a difference, like a harder nylon bristle or stiffer boar`s hair. I would NOT use Mr.Clean Magic Pads on them, as it is too abrasive and tends to scratch plastic surfaces, even "harder" exterior plastic trim.

Ultimate suggestion? Steam cleaner or small-engine power washer.
    Being from GA I understand what you mean by red clay and it’s inherent problems. I believe the Chevy Avalanche has light grey colored plastic cladding and red clay actually stains the cladding. If APC at 4:1 doesn’t do anything I would dilute Clorox and spray it to see if you can bleach it back. I wouldn’t let it dwell for very long though. If all else fails, clean it best as possible and then use Solution Finish to recolor the trim. Red clay stains are close to impossible to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not really focusing on stains, just the stuck in dirt.

Ive use the deep plastic cleaner before but its pricey.

Ive found that Tuf shine tire cleaner works tremendously well for this but its not the most cost effective solution, however I may try diluting it more and see if I get similar results. Its not exactly its intended purpose but it gets the job done so that`s what matters to me. I go thru more Tuf shine on surfaces besides tires than I do for actually cleaning tires . If I can get similar results with it being more diluted then I suppose that solves the cost issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Re-Read the OP after your reply on not stains but dirt. i`ve never resorted to 7:1 with APC. If I felt I needed to go there, out comes Plastic Clean.

Like Shoe Scuffs on the door panel. I can spend time scrubbing and spraying.....or spray plastic clean, 20 seconds, scrub it - shoe scuffs gone. Then there is a couple passes with water/MF`s due to the high PH, but the chems did the work...

Post Thanks / Like

ShameB:
    MY BAD. I "misread" your original post about INTERIOR plastic (not exterior) and the fact that you have used steam injection.

As to how interior plastic gets THAT dirty, I assume its either a convertible ride with the top down, or off-roading/back woods dirt roads with the windows down on a hot day.

If you do find something that works well and is cost-effective, let us know.

I would like to believe that Stokdgs suggestion for Nextzetts Plastic Deep Cleaner is probably your best bet for REALLY dirty plastic, but I have never used that product personally.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ShameB:
    MY BAD. I "misread" your original post about INTERIOR plastic (not exterior) and the fact that you have used steam injection.

As to how interior plastic gets THAT dirty, I assume its either a convertible ride with the top down, or off-roading/back woods dirt roads with the windows down on a hot day.

If you do find something that works well and is cost-effective, let us know.

I would like to believe that Stokdgs suggestion for Nextzetts Plastic Deep Cleaner is probably your best bet for REALLY dirty plastic, but I have never used that product personally.
    A lot of it is more from people who work construction or outdoor maintenance jobs. Sand, dirt, mortar, cement etc.

Tuf shine tire cleaner works amazing, however I am going to try diluting it a bit to see if I can make it more cost effective

Post Thanks / Like

3D yellow degreaser works well for that kind of stuff. Start with higher dilutions first. I know yellow is made for exteriors but it does work well for interiors when needed. Be sure to wipe after with plain water.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to catch flack for this answer but take it for what it`s worth.

My go to interior cleaner is Mckees total interior cleaner. On the majority of my jobs it works great.

Now for really tough stuff and the occasional work truck type job. LAs totally awesome at 50/50 works wonders and is cheap. Just make sure to dry the surfaces thoroughly after using it.

P.S. I`m sure someone will chime in about it but just note this, I stay very busy and have a 2-3 month back log of work at any given time and that`s working 5-7 days a week. Its never ever given me a issue on whatever surface I have used it on.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

I would try Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and is available in the US on HS-tuning. A very strong and effective APC/degreaser that works on most surfaces. Dilute it for the kind of dirt and contaminants you want to clean. On most dirt the 1:10 dilution is very effective to desolve the grime. I use it in the summer months to pretreatment on the bugs in 1:20-1:40 and it rinse off with the PW cleanly. In the winter months 1:20 on road salt and grime it`s very good too. And works okay in a foamcannon too and even more diluted. Give my mom a spray bottle with 1:50 for cleaning in the kitchen or any other surfaces in a home. So even 1L/ 34oz of the concentrate will last you a good while. And be on them on HS-tuning to take in the 5L and you can get it even cheaper.
    Would be intresting to see how it would work on the red clay you talk about. Surfex HD cleaning ability is top notch and worth a shot and see how it works for you. 1L for $27 can seem much but if diluted in 1:10 you get 2.5 gallons RTU from it. When diluting it in the weaker solution it almost feels silly to put that little amount of product in a bottle. And still gets you an awesome cleaning ability on oily and greasy dirt and also on organic dirt.

Thread Information