Post Thanks / Like

3M perfect it clay before placing 3M pro clear bra. Should I?

Next week I`m planing to have a 3M pro clear bra installed ( by a 3m pro selected installer ) to my entire front bumper.
    I recently just purchased my car. see my introduction post. here --> My intro. Hi everyone. Looking FWD to this forum.

I`d like to keep this paint as new looking as possible.
    I noticed the front bumper has a handful of contaminents in it.
    I`m guessing I want to remove as much as possible before having the clear bra installed.

My only experience with clay in the past is the boxed Meguairs boxed kit from retail.
    But after watching some reviews and videos it sounds like the retail box stuff is garbage compared to some of the more "pro" products.
    I watched a video that discussed how the "3M perfect it" clay destroys the retail stuff.

Should I return my chem. guys Hard clay bar for some of the 3M.
    Holy price difference. The 3M stuff is $75 here.
    But I see it can be found a lot cheaper online. Only $25.

I have until Fri. to have the bumper done.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M perfect it clay before placing 3M pro clear bra. Should I?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, definitely clay it prior to your film being installed. If you have the means, I would correct the paint in the area that the film is going over before the install as well.

I would go ahead and use what you have. If needed, go over it multiple times.

Hope this helps!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

My Auto parts store is having 3M "perfect-it" clay bar delivered to the store today.
    Gonna be close to $83 after taxes. Ouch!

I`m wondering if I should try mt Meguairs clay bar and lubricant before opening the 3M. It should would be nice to save that $83 and not use it if I can get the same result with the 3M ( retail clay kit w/ lube ). Even if it takes multiple passes and some time.

I also have Meguairs 3M ( cleaner wax ) that I have used in the past. That along with the Meguairs clay bar has got me excellant results in the past.

The "cleaner wax" has been opened but store in the basement for 2 years. The clay kit is still sealed.

Post Thanks / Like

Spice&Wood83- What about having the PPF installer do the prep work too? I`d consider the, uhm...benefits...of having all the responsibility on the installer. They`ll have to do *something* anyhow before they put on the PPF, I`d consider having them do it all.

I`m not familiar with either the 3m or Meguiar`s clays, but I`d have no qualms about using either Sonus or Ricardo/Smart clay for that job...well, unless we`re talking stupid-soft clear. Although I`d do a Chemical Decontamination first, and I`d hope that would take care of everything (I`d consider the clay a backup option).

Note that the CleanerWax will be one more thing that the installer will have to clean off (i.e., decontaminate ) before the install. I doubt I`d use that in this case.

Oh, and a belated Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Spice&Wood83- What about having the PPF installer do the prep work too? I`d consider the, uhm...benefits...of having all the responsibility on the installer. They`ll have to do *something* anyhow before they put on the PPF, I`d consider having them do it all.

I`m not familiar with either the 3m or Meguiar`s clays, but I`d have no qualms about using either Sonus or Ricardo/Smart clay for that job...well, unless we`re talking stupid-soft clear. Although I`d do a Chemical Decontamination first, and I`d hope that would take care of everything (I`d consider the clay a backup option).

Note that the CleanerWax will be one more thing that the installer will have to clean off (i.e., decontaminate ) before the install. I doubt I`d use that in this case.

Oh, and a belated Welcome to Autopia!
    assume they would. But I hate to "assume".
    From what I`ve seen on their site and reading reviews they are a very well respected shop.
    Ferraris, Lambo even a McLaren.

I was just gonna do it to make sure it`s done and not just assume.
    I

Post Thanks / Like

Spice&Wood83- Heh heh, appreciate your concerns and I hope it works out OK. I commend you on trying to do as much as you can yourself, especially since you don`t really know what to expect from them.

I`ll admit I`m a bit cynical about trusting others when I don`t know them well, including those who work on expensive items (belonging to others). I`ve seen far too many pricey cars and other things left in simply *awful* condition to put any stock in "we do exotics!", but with any luck your job will turn out just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Any good installer will clay the panel first and ensure it`s free from contamination. I wouldn`t really worry about doing any paint correction though as the film will hide pretty everything and you`d just be removing clear coat for no reason. Heck, I`ve sanded a panel with 1500 grit and put film over it just to see how much it can hide. I couldn`t tell were the sanding started and ended once it was wrapped. On a used car I will give it a light polish to "clean" the paint, but no real correction unless the owner insist on it.
    Likes MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just give the installer a call or email to find out if you need to prep it yourself. I’m guessing no. Normally a PPF installer wants the surface free of any contaminants before installation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I wouldn`t really worry about doing any paint correction though as the film will hide pretty everything and you`d just be removing clear coat for no reason. Heck, I`ve sanded a panel with 1500 grit and put film over it just to see how much it can hide. I couldn`t tell were the sanding started and ended once it was wrapped..
    Hey, very interesting! Thanks for posting that. I knew it could hide holograms (heh heh, guess how I knew...) but didn`t know about worse marring.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Thread Information