Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Soaps for washing coated surfaces

Hello all. I have read numerous times that the go to for washing and rejuvenating coated surfaces is Car Pro`s Reset. However it seems as though it is not necessary to use you this every wash. What soaps or shampoos are out there that leave nothing behind, and are good for a wash when you don`t want to use Reset? I have heard that Meguiars Hyper-wash leaves nothing behind and is good for that. In fact can it even replace Reset? It is cheaper too. I cant find the post I read that on though. Any thoughts?
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soaps for washing coated surfaces

I use the Blackfire Pro Ceramic Coating Wash. I like it a lot. Safe of your coating and doesn`t have a crazy smell to it. Little goes a long way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Likes agtjamesb007, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hyper Wash will work just fine. It won`t replace Reset so you can use both and be just fine.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Reset is my de-facto standard soap. If the car is dusty, I`m using up all my older shampoos but it`s been Reset forever and is my top tier soap ! A smidge goes a looooong way in a 5 gal bucket, so it`s not that ~expensive~ IMO. Great lubricity too, IMO it`s a great shampoo for all paints (coated or not). Love it...
    Likes agtjamesb007, SWETM, Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hyperwash here on all coated and non coated vehicles. Works awesome.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using the RESET product for a while. Good stuff. I bought a gallon of McKee`s coating wash not too long ago. Also a very fine product, supposed to be OK for washing in the sun.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used Optimum Car Wash and Poorboys Super Slick with Suds without any issues on my coated vehicles.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes agtjamesb007, JSFM35X, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks JSFM35X thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have Carpro Reset car soap as a favorite. Followed by Tac System Mystic Bubble which is very simualar to Reset. One that I have thought to try out is Gtechnic G-Wash it`s says to have even stronger cleaning ability than Reset but a notch lower lubrication. Get the 500ml of the G-Wash to get it more economical.

I will throw in a wild card if one would like to test it out or have used and can share their experience with it. Armor All Heavy Duty Car Wash is a product I saw that has just reached Sweden. And if I`m not wrong you guys can get it at a very good price. It`s a car soap that don`t leave anything behind and would work on a coated car I think. Use the higher amount of the recommended volume of car soap as these tend to be a much lower lubrication. I see more and more of a recommendation that Armor All and gtechnic has with their car soaps. And something I useally do with these car soaps that leaves nothing behind. That is if you have a dirty part of the vehical you wash and the mitt don`t get it in 2 strokes over it. Leave it to dwell for 3-5 minutes and don`t dry on the paint. When you take the mitt over it again the dirt goes off with 1 pass. With Reset and Mystic Bubble this works great on sot and other tough dirt. While it`s dwelling I wash the next section and goes back if needed to the dwelled car soap. Also I have started to rinse more often useally around 5 times on a car. So the stronger car soaps surfactans is easier to rinse off. Just some added tips LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Armor all huh? Any website I see that wash in is a European site. I am not sure it is in the US. I never hear anyone speak of armorall on here. It makes me think though, something simple, like an entry level soap like Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash...I dont know if it leaves anything behind, or how harsh it is, but I hear it foams up well for a foam gun. I dont know if the cheap soaps leave anything behind. It would be good for those in between washes but keep in mind I have no idea about the product on a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m kinda surprised that Coatings might require anything special in the way of shampoo. I thought that simplifying the whole maintenance process was one reason for going that route...like, stuff`s supposed to just wash right off the coating (better than it would off a regular LSP).

The coated wheels I`ve had didn`t need anything except the usual regular shampoo (my foamgun-mix concentration). The *only* discernible difference compared to my usual LSPs is that the coatings lasted longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m kinda surprised that Coatings might require anything special in the way of shampoo. I thought that simplifying the whole maintenance process was one reason for going that route...like, stuff`s supposed to just wash right off the coating (better than it would off a regular LSP).

The coated wheels I`ve had didn`t need anything except the usual regular shampoo (my foamgun-mix concentration). The *only* discernible difference compared to my usual LSPs is that the coatings lasted longer.

My take take on it is this, not that I`ve used a coating yet. I think it`s about road film. On a wax/sealant that lasts 6 months. You only get so much build up before the road film is shed off with the wax/sealant that`s lost its bond. On a coating that`s there a year or two. You could get a lot more road film build up. So the need for a non ph neutral soap to remove it. I would think shedding dirt and road film are two very different things. I may be wrong as 99 left shoes too.
    Likes SWETM, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use McKees Sio2 soap. I can wash the entire car before rinsing. It cuts water spots to a minimum.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out with the very first version of Optimum Opti-Guard Coating from the early-2000`s, applied to my personal vehicles first, (To Test it) and then to Clients vehicles..
    There are perhaps a few of us still on here that were some of the original Optimum Coating Certified Installers, on their Installers List..

After the 2nd-3rd year or so, the Coating was not reacting the same way when washing the Coated vehicles, even when using that awesome Optimum Car Wash Soap..

Then Car-Pro Reset was invented, and I tried that product..

It took a couple of really good washes, but it really removed all that stuck on you can`t see, gunk in the coating and voila! the coating was very clear and repelled all dirt much better than it had in awhile..

Yes, Car-Pro has a lot of products now; way more than when they first started. Yes, some of their products were hyped to no end and caused a lot of challenges, etc..

I only use 2 of their products ever.. Reset and Eraser..

I have always played the Long Game, and have had great, great, results with much less $$$ spent trying out every new Flavor of the Month..

When you do this for a living, and have no other income/s subsidizing it, you have to be more careful..

I am glad that all these products have evolved into perhaps better with better durability, ease of maintenance, etc., than what started out almost 19 years ago.. Am always all about moving technology forward..

Now, if they can also be less - "high maintenance" as the very first original coating was, then we will really have something to talk way less about..
    Dan F
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regular type car wash

I’ll start by saying my favorite is poor boys super slick and suds followed closely by optimum car wash. I have used g wash, polish angel glassine, black fire, Mother’s California gold and the only difference I see is price. All good products. All used on coated vehicles without issue.

Sio2 infused washes I’ve only used gyeon. Wow. Works great on paint but messes up glass to for now I’m not planning on replacing once my stock is used up.

Reset I use it once or twice a year per car. Seems fine but I cannot for the life of me see any difference. Once my supply is used up I’ll re evaluate before purchasing. I think it’s brilliant marketing more than a special product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agtjamesb007 View Post
    Armor all huh? Any website I see that wash in is a European site. I am not sure it is in the US. I never hear anyone speak of armorall on here. It makes me think though, something simple, like an entry level soap like Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash...I dont know if it leaves anything behind, or how harsh it is, but I hear it foams up well for a foam gun. I dont know if the cheap soaps leave anything behind. It would be good for those in between washes but keep in mind I have no idea about the product on a coating.
    Yeah the Armor All and also Turtle Wax has an EU manufacturing plant and does do different products and line in their brand. It can be showed up in another name if it works sales wise here in EU. But this is a long shot with Armor All. Before the need of these car soaps that leaves nothing behind. The wax or the synthetic wax had a cheap way to get lubrication from their car soaps. And also with a little extra shine from it the vehicals looked cleaner after a wash. Maybe they found another chemical to mix in the car soap that is cheaper than before to get the lubrication acceptable. Also it`s showing that the coatingshas reached a wider range of people.

The Meguiars Hyper Wash seems to get you a lot for your bucks. And if you use Carpro Reset car soap in a weaker solution I think you are going to be satisfied with it. The recommended dilution is 1:500 but I have used it up to 1:1000 and feel like the 1:800 was a sweet spot for me with a maintance wash on an already pretty clean car. It`s almost feels silly to put in that little amount of car soap in the bucket LOL. I have bought but not used it yet. Bilt Hamber Auto-wash which has a recommended dilution of 1:2000. That`s even more less car soap and not a glugg glugg measure when dilute it LOL.

I will put in another car soap that is coating safe as it`s leaves nothing behind. They have just gone through a rebrand of bottles and names but this car soap is like the older one. And even if you where to ordering it from the UK it can be worth it. On the domestic forum it`s always mentioned when talking about great car soaps. The product is Carchem Super Suds Shampoo and the value of this is awesome when it`s of an awesome quality too. And the dilution is 1:1900 and a 5L is around $30 then comes shipping charges and taxes and the customs cost to that. But you would have a car soap for a lifetime LOL. Carchem seems like P&S company as they sells more to car washes and the high volume industrie. Many combo this with a wash with Reset every 3-4 wash.

And I`m agree with Coleroad that it`s in the longrun you see the difference with something like Carpro Reset car soap. That`s also why it`s a good thing to do a decon wash if needed every 6 months or so. Have an arsenal with tar remover and iron remover and even a water spot remover. And evaluate when trying on a spot like behind a wheel on the panel. To see if the chemicals desolves anything. If not it`s great but if it desolves the build up road film or tar or tree sap or iron particals or industrial fallout or lime scale and so on. It`s a big benefit and ad to the coatings is on their highest level of performance from them. Can be seemed as an extra work to maintain a coating. But it`s just another way of maintance. And a coating on it`s highest performance is very easy to maintain. Then of cause it`s not for every one who has their things dialed in and is comfortable with it. But for those that is interested to change things up a bit you can be rewarded with easier maintance and other things that is much about personal preferences.
    Likes waynvision liked this post
    Thanks agtjamesb007 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information