Post Thanks / Like

Kamikaze Zipang/ISM application questions

Long time listener, first time caller.

Hey guys, I`ve got experience using ceramic coatings, but this is my first time doing a Kamikaze coating and I`m going with Zipang. I`ve read a few places online including esoteric that the "Best" way to apply this stuff is with a sandwich of Zipang/Miyabi/Zipang and it looks like there was similar guidance for applying ISM.

I was hoping to validate that this makes sense with some of the guys here who have done this (like maybe BudgetPlan). In my simple mind, I would think the second and third layers would have trouble bonding to the base layer and it would just wipe right off, but maybe the coatings can bond to other coatings in a similar way to how they bond to clear coat.

In the past with other coatings, I`ve done two coats essentially to make sure I have full coverage and didn`t miss any spots, but I didn`t really expect that I was getting two layers of coating on there.

Anyway, I`d love to get the thoughts of you guys with more experience. If the three coat sandwich is proven or something similar works with other products, that`s what I`ll do. I would just hate to be wasting product if it`s not really doing anything. Thanks guys! --Big Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kamikaze Zipang/ISM application questions

Kamikaze will bond to itself as long as you do it within the recommended time frame. The gentlemen in Ohio would be the one to provide specific guidance, hopefully.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. Not trying to sound like a jack@ss but I would stick w/ the info provided by esoteric instead of trying to formulate or reason with products you are not familiar with. As soon as I heard u say "simple mind, I would think" ......that`s where u made a wrong turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimjungillest View Post
    Hello. Not trying to sound like a jack@ss but I would stick w/ the info provided by esoteric instead of trying to formulate or reason with products you are not familiar with. As soon as I heard u say "simple mind, I would think" ......that`s where u made a wrong turn.
    No, that`s totally fair. I`m just trying to validate that people with experience have actually seen this work. I haven`t been able to find any kind of comparison that shows one coat longevity/looks vs the sandwich method. You can find plenty of one product vs another long term comparisons but nothing that shows the good/better/best kamikaze application comparisons

Post Thanks / Like

While I can`t speak to the chemistry of why this likes to be layered and that doesn`t, what I`ve been told is:

1. Miyabi can be layered on top of itself
    2. ISM Coat can be used on top of Miyabi (one or 2 coats of Miyabi) but ISM cannot be layered on itself

Now, as for a complete, total and seriously wild-a**ed guess, I`d say that Zipang has some of the characteristics of ISM meaning it doesn`t layer on top of itself well, which is why there is no recommendation with Zipang to do a Zipang + Zipang application. Maybe the Miyabi in between gives the top layer of Zipang something to cling to...heck, I dunno...just a pretty poor guess most likely. When in doubt. call the folks at Esoteric and ask `em as they`re the ones who have actual long-term experience with it as well as better access to the guy who mixes it all up.

Edit: And FWIW. I`m about to do Zipang-Myabi-Zipang on my daily driver. As for why, well, because that`s just following the directions and many times I think "Eh, this has to work..." it usually ends up on my list of "Things That Seemed Like a Good Idea At the Time".

"Ours is not to reason why..."

Also, Gtechniq CSL is another coating that is not noted as "layerable", only 1 coat needed (Like ISM Coat if doing ISM only)
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Big Mac, Drblatz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I had was I ran s little short of Zipang for the top layer. I don`t know if it didn`t go as far as other coatings or not doing the cross hatch pattern like normal. I have part of my roof that didn`t get the top layer.

Thread Information