Post Thanks / Like

Polish Angel High Gloss and Kamikaze Overcoat

Hey everyone, I have a few questions about these 2 products. First off, I have Kamikaze Miyabi on my C5 Corvette and have already used Overcoat on it as a sacrificial layer. My questions are the following; 1. is there a crazy difference between the 2 products? Does PA High Gloss shine that much more than overcoat? Can I layer them together i.e. Overcoat , then High Gloss or vice versa? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish Angel High Gloss and Kamikaze Overcoat

Quote Originally Posted by richiebohrer24 View Post
    Hey everyone, I have a few questions about these 2 products. First off, I have Kamikaze Miyabi on my C5 Corvette and have already used Overcoat on it as a sacrificial layer. My questions are the following; 1. is there a crazy difference between the 2 products? Does PA High Gloss shine that much more than overcoat? Can I layer them together i.e. Overcoat , then High Gloss or vice versa? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I don’t see why you couldn’t layer the two, I also don’t see a reason to cover either of these two expensive sprays with the other.

ive used PA HG a lot, but not Overcoat. High Gloss has a very sharp, vivid look to it and from what I hear, Overcoat may have a bit more of a flowing, carnauba look to it. Probably both are top notch shines but a little different looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I don’t see why you couldn’t layer the two, I also don’t see a reason to cover either of these two expensive sprays with the other.

ive used PA HG a lot, but not Overcoat. High Gloss has a very sharp, vivid look to it and from what I hear, Overcoat may have a bit more of a flowing, carnauba look to it. Probably both are top notch shines but a little different looks.
    I think hi gloss is visually more appealing from what I’ve heard and budget sent me some overcoat v1 and the hydrophobics are BOSS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used both interchangeably and you’d have no trouble using them on your Miyabi coated vehicle.

Is High Gloss way better than Overcoat? IMHO no. I don’t think you’d see a noticeable difference. My advice would be to just stick with Overcoat.

The only way to know for sure though is to drop the coin on High Gloss and decide for yourself Polish Angel High Gloss and Kamikaze Overcoat.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    I’ve used both interchangeably and you’d have no trouble using them on your Miyabi coated vehicle.

Is High Gloss way better than Overcoat? IMHO no. I don’t think you’d see a noticeable difference. My advice would be to just stick with Overcoat.

The only way to know for sure though is to drop the coin on High Gloss and decide for yourself Polish Angel High Gloss and Kamikaze Overcoat.
    Lol, already purchased the high gloss. Comes in tomorrow. After reading all of the great reviews and threads that were made about it for the past month or so, I finally pulled the trigger. I was hoping to be able layer it with overcoat to get extra shine and durability, but from the looks of it it`s not a great product to layer with. Is there any topper that you can layer with either of those two products to make a standout difference?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, already purchased the high gloss. Comes in tomorrow. After reading all of the great reviews and threads that were made about it for the past month or so, I finally pulled the trigger. I was hoping to be able layer it with overcoat to get extra shine and durability, but from the looks of it it`s not a great product to layer with. Is there any topper that you can layer with either of those two products to make a standout difference?

I would bet if you were to ask the guys over at Esoteric Car Care, they would advise using one or the other top coats, not both.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I would bet if you were to ask the guys over at Esoteric Car Care, they would advise using one or the other top coats, not both.
    They did. Was hoping to get a different response from someone else

Post Thanks / Like

Is give one of th PA spritz’s a try I think it looks a touch better (on MY black car) and nearly as hydrophobic. I have cosmic whatcha is probably my favorite. Wanna give viking a try.

Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

They did. Was hoping to get a different response from someone else

These are the guys who play with it the most and if their not trying to sell you extra products to layer.... I’d listen.

If you want something you can top with either of those though.... gyeon cancoat or tac system moonliggt

Likes bob m, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You could layer them and the paint won`t melt but more isn`t always better. While I wouldn`t layer them as a matter of course, like `Wash, apply Overcoat, apply High Gloss` as a routine you could always give it a go for a month or two using High Gloss instead of Overcoat ro see if you like it. I switched one of our cars to PA Cosmic Spritz last summer for a month or two to see if I liked it.

I tried High Gloss back when it came out in 2016 (I think) on a black WRX that was done in WG Uber Ceramic. At the time of course I was convinced it was indeed `glossier` and more reflective but in the end, who knows...it`s all so subjective.

Switching up and/or overdoing it usually causes no real issues but there is the very real possibility that eventually you`ll run into something that does cause some issues...I know I did.

When in doubt, I`d listen to folks who use this kinda stuff every day (Esoteric) as opposed to some guy who probably overdoes it on occasion (like me).
    Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where High Gloss useally stands out is to bring out the metallic flakes to pop. So much is if you have a metallic paint. The deep comes from the darkening effect I think. So that`s also much of a personal preference on what you like. Have no experience with Overcoat. But I would think that it`s more hydrophobic than HG. So there is also what you apply it over.

You could try to do a double application of them and see if you like it or not. That`s so many variables on how just your paint would be in the the little it changes apparence from them. Maybe try as noted above one or the other for a few months as these are quite durable toppers. Or do some testing with one of each side of the hood or a mixed section or all three LOL.

It can get you in trouble to use these more durable toppers too often. And much more if you use 2 or 3 different kind of toppers or products at the same time. Some needs to be letting to bond properly until the next wash. And if it`s often done the paint can be saturated and only a very little product is bonding. That useally meens streaking galour to get of the excess product that don`t bond. The same thing that if you where to apply too much of product at one time.

Overcoat seems to be working great as a drying aid and applyied often. Not sure about HG as I have only used it on dry application. And also think that you get a lot more out of it with dry application vs drying aid.

Not much of help. But these mixing with products even when applyied separately is a try out and see what it behaves like and how it looks like. Some mixes works for them when the same you can maybe not like. And some that think it`s look just the same with both products. No right or wrong.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are use to Overcoat stick with it. I used High Gloss first and it is my favorite. Seems to apply a bit smoother.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper280 View Post
    Since you are use to Overcoat stick with it. I used High Gloss first and it is my favorite. Seems to apply a bit smoother.
    Chopper! Love you man, glad to run across your response as it’s been awhile.

Im in the same boat as you, love my HG for looks, but am really itching to try Overcoat if Esoteric ever does a sale... but in the meantime I’ll be sampling VS1 Final Coat, Viking Spritz, and IGL Premiere before I go buying more sprays... although Angelwax TI-22 has been calling my name. Wish I owned like 8 cars instead of 2.
    Likes Mary B, Chopper280 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For the OP: One thing I will consider doing soon, on top of Essence, is to use a durable SiO2 Spray like Viking Spritz or IGL Premiere to get the 4-6 month base coat (combined with Essence), and then building up some High Gloss on top (applying every few weeks for a month or two). The HG would be purely for cherry on top looks.

This isn’t much different than your idea of High Gloss over Overcoat, as I understand Overcoat is pretty durable. Maybe the one thing that *seems* overkill in your situation is that Overcoat is an extremely premium product and putting anything over it may give the impression of wasting one of the most boutique sprays around.

with that being said, folks can make the same argument with me wasting Viking or Premiere. I don’t think it’s a waste. If you have things available and want to try, go for it!
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Chopper! Love you man, glad to run across your response as it’s been awhile.

Im in the same boat as you, love my HG for looks, but am really itching to try Overcoat if Esoteric ever does a sale... but in the meantime I’ll be sampling VS1 Final Coat, Viking Spritz, and IGL Premiere before I go buying more sprays... although Angelwax TI-22 has been calling my name. Wish I owned like 8 cars instead of 2.
    I have 3 cars and 3 motorcycles and a ton of products. I use it mostly to experiment.
    I spent the winter months neck deep in a new hobby, 3D Printing. That is addictive and involves hours of research to know what you are doing. I love it! Got back into detailing about a month ago.
    Too many toys and not enough time.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Thread Information