Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching a coating fade away...

At about 21 months & 40K hard, daily driver miles it looks like the Kamikaze Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1 is about done. Applied July 2017.

While the car got the Gyeon Tar, Gyeon Iron Spring cleanup, it appears as if life is nearly over for this combo.

Things I`ve noticed recently:

1. The coating, even when topped with Kamikaze Overcoat or Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz is just not as lively w/ regards to water behavior. I don`t really get it but the toppers are less effective on top of a tired coating. Dunno why but it is what it is.

2. While I still get some beading when it gets rained on, the sheeting is reduced significantly.

3. It does not shed things like pollen as well as it used to so leaving it outside for a day or two, followed by a rain leaves more spots and instead of the rain washing things off, I think it contributes (along with the pollen on the car) to `clog` the coating much quicker.

4. It just doesn`t look as alive as it used to.

Compared to my wife`s daily driver (also Miyabi x 2, ISM x 1, applied October 2016 but only 17k mostly local miles ago) it`s easy to see the relative `lifeless-ness` of my car compared to hers. Her car has sat outside pretty much 24/7 since October 2016 but merely sitting outside, often covered with leaves and other `nature garbage`, doesn`t seem to be much of a detriment to the coating as it is doing so well, gonna let that one ride another year; no reason to re-do.

Guess it`s time to start prepping my car for a re-do, starting with Dr Colorchip`g the numerous chips that 40k freeway miles have inflicted. Honda paint must be somewhat brittle as even my 2016 Subaru WRX had less road rash despite the same general time and miles put on along the same daily commute.

FWIW, the expected general longevity of the combo of Miyabi and ISM is generally thought to be 24-36 months, which I would guess in average use would be 24-36k miles so although it didn`t quite make it 2 years on my daily, it did meet what could be accepted as reasonable mileage.
    Likes SWETM, Jaddie, Loach, DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watching a coating fade away...

This seems to be echoing my situation with my 27 month old coating (Nanalex). But I just did a decon yesterday and reapplied the Nanalex topper so I will see how long this will last. What exactly is involved in doing a coating removal?

Post Thanks / Like

I think wind erosion and traffic film may have more of an impact on coating life than actual natural elements?
    Likes BudgetPlan1, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    This seems to be echoing my situation with my 27 month old coating (Nanalex). But I just did a decon yesterday and reapplied the Nanalex topper so I will see how long this will last. What exactly is involved in doing a coating removal?
    Generally, just like doing car for first time prior to coating.

Likely overkill but I`ll hose it down with a citrus cleaner or Poorboys Strip Down, Gyeon Iron, clay, medium polish, fine polish, apply coating.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I think wind erosion and traffic film may have more of an impact on coating life than actual natural elements?
    That`s my contention given that wife`s car has been relatively un-affected by sitting outside all the time. Salt, chemical deicer, brine...all are heavily used in the winter around here. This car has a 70+ mile daily commute, about 95% freeway, each day. 2 of the main freeways I drive on have been under construction for the past 2 years (projected 3 more) so it`s been running through that, driving under "Clean Water Falling From Bridge" areas (why exactly clean water would be falling from bridge, I dunno but it certainly ain`t clean) and all the other nonsense that accumulates through heavy usage. It`s had a tough life.
    Likes Mary B, Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Generally, just like doing car for first time prior to coating.

Likely overkill but I`ll hose it down with a citrus cleaner or Poorboys Strip Down, Gyeon Iron, clay, medium polish, fine polish, apply coating.

That`s my contention given that wife`s car has been relatively un-affected by sitting outside all the time. Salt, chemical deicer, brine...all are heavily used in the winter around here. This car has a 70+ mile daily commute, about 95% freeway, each day. 2 of the main freeways I drive on have been under construction for the past 2 years (projected 3 more) so it`s been running through that, driving under "Clean Water Falling From Bridge" areas (why exactly clean water would be falling from bridge, I dunno but it certainly ain`t clean) and all the other nonsense that accumulates through heavy usage. It`s had a tough life.
    Kinda figured that, but wanted to check. Luckily my car`s paint has very, very few swirls, but I`m guessing the medium polish is to get the coating off more so than swirl removal?
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I though I’d join the mix.

I put gyeon mohs x2 on my daily driver 38 1/2 months ago and it’s done. On a warm day in January I washed it and was unable to blow it dry bc the water was so flat. I used permanon (remember that) to pop back some bedding and that is now mostly gone. I am giving it back May 27th and my am evaluating my plans for my new daily driver.
    Nothing sticks to the gyeon and it’s easy to wash but the beading is long departed.
    Likes Mary B, BudgetPlan1, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update, good info!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Kinda figured that, but wanted to check. Luckily my car`s paint has very, very few swirls, but I`m guessing the medium polish is to get the coating off more so than swirl removal?
    Yup. There`s a few light scratches in it so I`ll go at the scratches and figure whatever gets down to them, will have removed the coating as well...and then proceed with that combo.

Gonna start with the Flex 3401, probably a Uro-Fiber pad and Angelwax Regenerate and then switch to Rupes 15 Mk2/GG BOSS 21 w/ Angelwax Redemption or one of the Kamikaze polishes w/ their pads to finish it out. Worse comes to worse on the black paint, Scholl S40 on one of their honey spider pads worked well last time I believe....or maybe is was Scholl S40 on a LC crimson hydrotech. Either way, in no hurry as I gotta wait a week after Dr Colorchip before coating so could take a week or more to finish. Certainly time is not of the essence.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I though I’d join the mix.

I put gyeon mohs x2 on my daily driver 38 1/2 months ago and it’s done. On a warm day in January I washed it and was unable to blow it dry bc the water was so flat. I used permanon (remember that) to pop back some bedding and that is now mostly gone. I am giving it back May 27th and my am evaluating my plans for my new daily driver.
    Nothing sticks to the gyeon and it’s easy to wash but the beading is long departed.
    I never found Mohs on it`s own to be much of a beader over the long haul. Was kinda more hydrophillic from what I recall. Still stayed clean all the way through but visually not so entertaining.
    Likes Mary B, JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update!

Is it Kamikaze Miyabi and ISM this time too?

The Scholl Honey Spiderpad says to be great to finish on softer paints. My Kia cee`d SW with a silver metallic paint says to be on this softer side as most asian paints is. Have some hairline kind of scratches from taking the snow of during the winter. Otherwise it`s quite good after 2 years since the dealership polished it. Some areas need more attention though. Have these Honey Spiderpads and is interested to see how they does on those where a little more is needed with Scholl S20 Black SS. They say that this combo is a great one step compound even on softer paints. Will be testing if PA Esclate Lotion is enough for correct the other lighter defects with something like the Rupes Yellow pad. And also finishing with it after S20 if needed. Have some options to doing test spots with.

I also have the Scholl White Spiderpad which I think is a hybrid of wool and foam. Man was I scared first time I used it as the feel of the pads surface is very coarse. And was very surprised as how it finishes with Scholl S3 Gold XXL compound. About the same cut or even a notch more than Meguiars mf cutting pad and a notch better finish too. Many here in Sweden uses spiderpads for aggressive one steps correction.

If just Kamikaze ISM had been a little cheaper here in Sweden I would go with that. As I think that the glowing look it has would have suited the silver metallic paint I have and want it to look as. Today they cleaned up the roads here in the little village I live in. So soon it`s time for the spring detail. And since I saw your results with the PA Master Sealant on that grey car you did. I`m eager to get my car done with it LOL. It`s not a coating but I`m looked for one base protection that I get around a year from and can stretch it with toppers during this time. Maybe even apply it again before winter. Have been thinking on to use Carpro Essence since stumbled on that it has TiO2 in it. As Master Sealant also has. But then again Esclate Lotion is a product that gives you a color rich enhancement and was made for MS. LOL all these options to be doing. Maybe I try the Essence and MS combo on the lower side panels and the back of the car where you have most wear in harsher winter environments. Am I overthinking it? Absolutely LOL.

Is it the vertical panels the coating has been worn the most?

There is a brand called Ma-fra from Italy and they have a line named Laboscosmetica. They have a couple of decon products that are effective on some coatings that has a build up of lime scale. This can happen on the long lasting coatings as a little at time you can get water to dry on the paint. These different strength of water spot removers has done some reviving of coatings that has been clogged. It`s slightly acidic based and like a car soap when you use it. It`s a great brand with interesting products that is not the mainstream. They have some different prewashes that you foam on. And those with coatings uses these as touchless washes with great results during the summer months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Thanks for the update!

Is it Kamikaze Miyabi and ISM this time too?
    Zipang-Miyabi-Zipang this time. We`ll see if I can stretch to 3 years as the longevity of Zipang is supposed to be better than ISM...we`ll see

If just Kamikaze ISM had been a little cheaper here in Sweden I would go with that. As I think that the glowing look it has would have suited the silver metallic paint I have and want it to look as. Today they cleaned up the roads here in the little village I live in. So soon it`s time for the spring detail. And since I saw your results with the PA Master Sealant on that grey car you did. I`m eager to get my car done with it LOL.
    I`m always on the lookout for a car that would be suitable for Master Sealant + Rapidwaxx; such a nice combo.

Is it the vertical panels the coating has been worn the most?
    While it`s most visually apparent on lower vertical panels, the entire car is acting `tired`. Couple that with the decreased effectiveness of boosters and it`s time to go. I figrd given vehicle usage, this would be about the limit. In the long run, would require more attention and care to keep it `going` for another year than it would be to re-do it.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Redemption has arrived...now I just gotta find some motivation.Watching a coating fade away...-miyabizipang_crop.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Here is you motivation... a review for us ALL so we can comment, stand in aww and appreciate your contributions to the forum
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Which car was `rubbed` more after the coating was applied? I`ll assume that your car has had more washes and WW over the same time period as your wife`s. I think mechanical abrasion (erosion) is its worst enemy. I think that is why the guys doing LSP tests never seem to get the same durability as other say they are getting. They are continuously cleaning those test panels most likely more often than they would be if not running a test and updating a thread.
    Likes Tc99m, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Which car was `rubbed` more after the coating was applied? I`ll assume that your car has had more washes and WW over the same time period as your wife`s. I think mechanical abrasion (erosion) is its worst enemy. I think that is why the guys doing LSP tests never seem to get the same durability as other say they are getting. They are continuously cleaning those test panels most likely more often than they would be if not running a test and updating a thread.
    While I`d say my car got more washing, probably 3 washes for every 2 hers got, neither really got washed overly much...maybe every 10-14 days. Hers just didnt get washed as often because, to my eye, it didnt need it. It`s Honda Aegean Blue Metallic which certainly generally looks `acceptable` more of the time than my black car.

Given what I`ve seen since coating her car in 10/2016, sitting outside (even over winter) really didn`t have much of a detrimental effect on the coating. Stupid car just always seems to look clean...its not fair! Watching a coating fade away...

My car, in addition to driving, occasionally falls victim to my curiosity and gets run thru the local touchless soap/rinse tunnel 7 straight days to see what effect it has on something.

But yes, in the region I live in, just sitting outside seems to have little effect on the coating. I`d guess Arizona might experience totally different outcomes.

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t remember if I or anyone else asked if there is a difference from the looks of ISM vs Zipang?

Looking forward to see the results you are getting.

Have you played around with the self healing ability on the fleet vehical you did?

I agree with you DBailey that the touching washes abrasions does impact on your LSP. So doing more washes than once a week I think that you will be shorter the longevity of the LSP. Maybe with always ad a sacrificial layer of protection can be a way to save the base coat layer of protection longevity wise. Also that many that does the torture testing to soon is a problem sometimes. Even if no cure time is mentioned on the bottles. I think that many synthetic protection need the time to crosslink and bond properly before washing it and more so go after it with degreasers directly after applications. Or as Jimbos torture testing on Youtube he have found a LSP killer in Optimum Power Clean straight dilution LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information