Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Presoak for rinseless wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    For what? I`ve never used WD40 on anything automotive, the stuff it leaves behind isn`t something I want on my vehicles. If I use WD40 I`ll have to use something else afterwards to deal with *that* residue, and then reLSP (which I generally try to avoid).

Actually, I don`t think I`ve used WD40 for anything in the last few decades.."water dispersal" just isn`t something I need very often.
    ?
    I find it is pretty safe for paint. I use it as chain lube for bicycles and motorcycles. Despite the strong warnings about its poor lubricating properties (I don`t doubt them), it seems like a very effective way to keep a chain working for a long time. In fact I seem to get as much, if not more chain life than friends that are meticulous about using some other product. I think most of that is from the fact that it does not keep dirt, but rather sheds it.

I`ve also noticed that it has no effect, even on rather poor quality(when compared to car paint) finishes.

Last but not least, it is my go to for removing grease stains in fabric. It breaks the grease down and makes it easy to remove. Follow with an old school hand cleaner like go-jo to remove the WD40 and then some APC to remove the go-jo.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Not doubting that it works OK, I just use other stuff. If I dealt with bike/etc. chains I don`t know what I`d use, but the WD40 is too light for my garage-opener chains, too likely to make a mess even after wiping. Guess it`s not one of my challenges as I`ve never had to replace a chain in my life (chainSAW chains excepted).

Heh heh, no way would I do a three-stage grease removal on fabric though, but then that`s not something I deal with either.

If nothing else, you`re reminding me to count my lucky stars that I don`t have to deal with some stuff!

I just don`t see why I`d ever use it on autopaint..what would it replace? Doesn`t it leave something behind that has to be cleaned off? The last time I used it (on a steel machinist`s ruler), it left a film that I wouldn`t want on my cars.

I know some people simply hate on WD40, and I don`t, but it`s never been *the* product that I`ve felt was right for a given job. Never that I can think of...now just watch something come up tomorrow that *does* have me reaching for it! That`d just figure

EDIT: Doesn`t some APC like OPC remove grease all by itself, requiring only rinsing? It`s been forever, but I think that`s what I used the last time I had grease on a fabric...

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw these at Wal Mart the other day; Stoner Bug Eraser wipes. Judging by the review below, the product seems to be pretty effective and perfect for a rinseless wash application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    For what? I`ve never used WD40 on anything automotive, the stuff it leaves behind isn`t something I want on my vehicles. If I use WD40 I`ll have to use something else afterwards to deal with *that* residue, and then reLSP (which I generally try to avoid).

Actually, I don`t think I`ve used WD40 for anything in the last few decades.."water dispersal" just isn`t something I need very often.

It is a (synthetic) wax, hence my use of it as a Last Step Product.

Hey, hold on...did I just get punked (or whatever they call it)?!? I mean..WD40 for bugs instead of just washing them off..."wax" not being a "Last Step Product"?
    Great for removing tree sap so I thought it should be okay for bugs. Just back from a trip with a mess on the front of my vehicle so I didn`t take my own advice. I just laid to large microfiber towels over the fro t of the vehicle and will let it sit overnight so I firmly believe all those bugs will just melt away.
    I deleted my post because of how bad I felt as I have been thinking LSP is last step polish.
    Hey wheres me jacket?

Post Thanks / Like

bcgreen- Heh heh, thanks for clearing up that "LSP" confusion!

I guess I just never think of reaching for WD40 for automotive stuff. The only times I`ve had tree sap I just did a little light claying of the more tenacious bits. I was disappointed that I had to redo the LSP, shows how spoiled I am.

What was on the MFs you kept on it overnight?

SNP209- I`d sure give those wipes a thorough testing before using them and I`d consider how potential downsides would compare to other methods.

[Accumulator bites tongue to avoid being a jerk]

To put it politely, the video you linked wouldn`t sway me one iota, at least not in a positive way. Now if the vehicle is gonna be redone in a big way anyhow, that could be different and then they might be perfectly OK if a Chemical Decontamination isn`t possible (as with the RW/WW approach you mentioned).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information