Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintenence and toppers with Klasse HGSG, question.

Hi all. In my newly adopted philosophy of "use what you got", I used Klasse sealant recently and I forgot how much I like it. It`s fun to visit old friends and know they are still there for you!

My question is the maintenance of Klasse. 3+ layers is a hard-fought reward of intense shine and protection that I`m not keen on loosing due to the wrong toppers. I recently destroyed a few layers of WGDGPS somehow, and I`m not really sure, unless it was the wax topper - that being either Pete`s 53 or Lusso (can`t remember which), and those waxes seem really mild.

Any Klasse experts out there? How can I prolong my hard work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintenence and toppers with Klasse HGSG, question.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Hi all. In my newly adopted philosophy of "use what you got", I used Klasse sealant recently and I forgot how much I like it. It`s fun to visit old friends and know they are still there for you!

My question is the maintenance of Klasse. 3+ layers is a hard-fought reward of intense shine and protection that I`m not keen on loosing due to the wrong toppers. I recently destroyed a few layers of WGDGPS somehow, and I`m not really sure, unless it was the wax topper - that being either Pete`s 53 or Lusso (can`t remember which), and those waxes seem really mild.

Any Klasse experts out there? How can I prolong my hard work?
    I am not a Klasse user, but I do like Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax and Ultima Acrylic WW. I believe the `acrylic` ingredients of these would make it a fine pairing with Klasse, but this is not based on any kind of true experience.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I am not a Klasse user, but I do like Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax and Ultima Acrylic WW. I believe the `acrylic` ingredients of these would make it a fine pairing with Klasse, but this is not based on any kind of true experience.
    Makes since! Now I can buy a new spray wax and "justify" it... thanks!
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

If you’re going to add to your collection as a result of the “use what you got” philosophy, choices are the spice of life:

https://www.autogeek.net/dodo-supern...-detailer.html. Dodo Acrylic (although the Sonus or Ultima may be more cost efficient choices).

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the Sonus Acrylic Spritz on KSG for years with zero downside. I`d just use that and/or put on some more KSG. That`s exactly what I`m doing on the bits I`m using KSG on, works like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

KSG works well but it looks way too sterile for me. It’s just like well polished paint. I do love how well it fills in minor swirls. KSG with water 1:3 is a good spray wax too.
    Likes 392hemi, WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    KSG works well but it looks way too sterile for me. It’s just like well polished paint.....
    That`s a very good analogy. Most sealants are like that to me. Hence the reason The Trash Man and other folks a few years back were saying that the LSP shouldn`t make a difference, because what THEY were using didn`t make a difference (looks wise) to well polished paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely on the look...basically blah. It doesn`t look like "polished paint" to me, but rather "paint with a plastic film on it". Comparing a KSG`ed panel with a merely polished (not LSPed) adjacent one, they looked completely different to me, obviously so (Mazda and Subaru silvers).

But the way you can put on lots of layers and create a definite "thick plasticy build-film" is kinda unique and can provide some serious protection. KSG is the *ONLY* LSP I`ve ever used that has provided adequate protection in the "physical barrier" sense, prevented a serious "oops!" when something that should`ve marred rubbed against the paint (and did that more than once).

BUT..I`ve never had any filling from it. None. But then I`m kinda hard-pressed to think of any LSP that`s ever filled for me..maybe it`s my inspections being rigorous or something. Yeah, I know...all LSPs are supposed to do some concealing if only because of the shine, but that`s not been my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    That`s a very good analogy. Most sealants are like that to me. Hence the reason The Trash Man and other folks a few years back were saying that the LSP shouldn`t make a difference, because what THEY were using didn`t make a difference (looks wise) to well polished paint.
    I certainly agree for the most part BUT there are some LSPs that just make certain paint come alive. And there are also coatings that do the same. For example I disliked how plain opticoat looked. The issue is, to the untrained eye, all looks the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

BUT..I`ve never had any filling from it. None. But then I`m kinda hard-pressed to think of any LSP that`s ever filled for me..maybe it`s my inspections being rigorous or something. Yeah, I know...all LSPs are supposed to do some concealing if only because of the shine, but that`s not been my experience.
    Hey now, I even posted pictures of the filling effect a few years ago. Just shows how much YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- I KNOW!! I specifically remember that...tried it and "oh [crap] just my luck.." You and a few others here had me all excited about it but my hopes were dashed. I would`ve done a gazillion coats of KSG on the `93 Audi and been mighty happy...

Jut being able to do a little filling on the hard/glossy black exterior plastics would`ve been wonderful, but noooo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    … But the way you can put on lots of layers and create a definite "thick plasticy build-film" is kinda unique and can provide some serious protection. KSG is the *ONLY* LSP I`ve ever used that has provided adequate protection in the "physical barrier" sense....
    Yes Accum, agreed. This is why I got it out - to do some work on two cars and my motorcycle where marring is a constant issue due to the human interaction with certain panel parts. But, I went ahead and did the horizontal panels on my Mustang as well.

I think I have a somewhat-trained eye - being a wax aficionado for so many years and seeing obvious differences, and to me, KSG, on properly prepped surfaces, is SHINE and nothing but shine, as opposed to the waxes I use that add depth and darken.

Speaking of sealants vs wax and the look, for the most part, excellent waxes (say Dodo Purple Haze) will make a dark car appear like the paint is floating above the surface, and as you look at the curves (like the haunches of a 911) the effect is just stunning. Sealants on the other hand, exaggerate the lines of a car and make creases and sharp corners pop. That`s what I see at least.
    Likes Oneheadlite, acuRAS82, lloydrm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Yeah, that`s a good way to describe how the two approaches look, although I never thought KSG was all that shiny compared to my other sealants.

IIRC the look you see with good waxes on dark colors is called "jetting". I even get that on the Jag`s sorta-silver (metallic light gray called "Rhodium") lacquer when I use Souveran on it. It`s definitely *the look& for certain vehicles IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Jetting is the look I’m after. I agree,Souveran provides it on all colors. I have it on my white and my black car.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information