Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reining it in a bit on the products - it`s getting silly. You?

A few weeks back I counted my QD`s and Spray Waxes. I had 20. Many of them are so good and overlap in performance that I just randomly reach for one when detailing. This got me thinking. Sh!t`s outa hand.

I can`t (couldn`t) resist a QD or spray wax or WW that I never heard of, so I`d instinctively buy. I`ve probably had 35 or more over the years.

It`s not really the money, it`s just the whole silliness of the whole thing. The redundant factor.

Anybody have similar feelings about their hoard?
    Likes fries, VitreousHumor, PPLd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reining it in a bit on the products - it`s getting silly. You?

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    A few weeks back I counted my QD`s and Spray Waxes. I had 20. Many of them are so good and overlap in performance that I just randomly reach for one when detailing. This got me thinking. Sh!t`s outa hand.

I can`t (couldn`t) resist a QD or spray wax or WW that I never heard of, so I`d instinctively buy. I`ve probably had 35 or more over the years.

It`s not really the money, it`s just the whole silliness of the whole thing. The redundant factor.

Anybody have similar feelings about their hoard?
    Yep. 2019 is the year I plan to really buckle down and use up a good portion of what I have around, mostly just because I’m tired of all the space it takes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes minerigger, DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I came to that realization a while back. Between redundant products, stuff I just don`t use any more, and a multi-lifetime supply of both, I`ve uhm....accumulated... so much that I`ll never use it all up. If I go first my wife`ll have a terrible job dealing with it all...
    Likes fries liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been giving most of my unused products away or use them around home. To wipe appliances, TV, bathroom marble counters.

I`ll use up most of my spray wax/LSPs on wheel wells if I can.

I`ve finally got a good enough arsenal of what works for me, that I have no need to try any new product. Until some new breakthroughs comes out.

Only thing I`m kind of itching to try is a coating. But lets see.

Post Thanks / Like

392hemi- Yeah, I keep meaning to use up my old QDs on the undercarriage/etc. But I can`t really even give stuff like my Paste Waxes away if only because I don`t know *anybody* IRL who does this stuff, not even my pals with rooms full of Concours trophies (don`t get me started..).

Post Thanks / Like

OMG. It`s just overwhelming. All the choices and new products are going to make your brain hurt. I am getting ready to spring detail the ZR2, and for the life I me I can`t really make a sound choice!! Do I stick with what I have here or go another route with different products. Another option is we just got a ceramic pro installer that is just down the street from me. Do I hand it off to a pro for a coating instead? My brain still hurts!!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Oneheadlite, fries liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many new products that people are forgetting the old tried and true. I have to do a yearly purge, when my detailing cabinet gets too full, I give stuff away and keep stuff I love. I too am a sucker for new stuff, just bought Beadmaker and the new Griots BOS SW. What is really funny to me that people used to bellyache about how expensive Zaino was. Their Z6 and Z8 look cheap these days, and BTW are still every bit as fantastic as they were over a decade ago! FK425 is another stellar product that costs less for a gallon than some fancy 16oz QDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    392hemi- Yeah, I keep meaning to use up my old QDs on the undercarriage/etc. But I can`t really even give stuff like my Paste Waxes away if only because I don`t know *anybody* IRL who does this stuff, not even my pals with rooms full of Concours trophies (don`t get me started..).
    I actually sold about 13lbs worth of product, which I know is a very weird measurement of products, to someone through a detailers resale group on Facebook.

Must’ve been like 200 dollars worth of stuff at least, think I sold it for 45 bucks shipped. Was just happy to get rid of it, honestly. Had a 32oz bottle of pinnacle polish in there that was like 60 bucks by itself. Threw my ton of m16 in, and a bunch of other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

finick- Actually, your "by weight.." makes perfect sense to me! Yeah, just not spending $ to make it go away, and the knowledge that somebody will get some use out of it, sounds great. Glad you found a solution that works for you.

If I weren`t so [darn] cyber-paranoid the Facebook route could be swell; if I weren`t so [darn] paranoid period there`d be Craigslist but I just won`t go there.

Post Thanks / Like

Been there and still doing it. It hit me back in 2016`ish. And since then I have been trying to hold off and not buy new "flavor of the month" products and use up most of what I have. I have re-stocked on necessary stuff like Megs Hyperwash but I have held off on stuff. like POLISHANGEL, new Backfire products, etc...

I remember someone saying just because a product is older or a newer better one is available doesn`t mean it still doesn`t work. Due to the costs, etc, I just can bring myself to throw a bunch of stuff away even though it works.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If there is one rinseless/waterless/QD product to have, it would be the trio of DPC Armor, Revive, and Reflect.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I started that rule a few years ago. I have so much unpened product that it`s silly. Problem is, the good stuff I`ve been buying recently seems to be getting more and more expensive
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Wax Addict:
    Could you pick your top three (3) QD products that you like and then your top three (3) spray waxes ?
    Just curious.

If you every want to get rid of your excess QD and Spray Wax inventory, let me know. Maybe we can work something out if I pay for shipping.

Here`s some suggestions for using up that now-obsolete supply of carnauba waxes:
    (Please do not laugh at some of them; remember I am "a seasoned detailer" with "experience")
    1) Snow-blower chutes and lawnmower under-decks to keep snow and wet grass from sticking, respectively.
    2) Slide rule inner log linear vernier (AKA, moving stick part) (Don`t ask what a slide rule is unless you are an engineer or mathematician)
    3) Kid`s bicycles (Good way to develop relationships with neighborhood young people, plus the bad ones do not egg your house at Halloween or in their later years in High School, at Homecoming time. Just sayin`...)
    4) Appliances (especially painted/powder coated refrigerators at holiday time; guests and family are dumbfounded with the shine)
    5) Wooden drawer slides or glides
    6) Driving in nails or screws in hardwoods (an old woodworker`s and carpenter`s trick)
    7) Air conditioner compressor housings or generator enclosures (service tech`s cannot believe what they see)
    8) Painted metal doors (especially white painted aluminum screen or outer doors)
    9) Wood doors edges that are tight in the frame (like those that swell in summer)
    10) Model metal car collections (S100 makes my unboxed 1/24-scale 911 Porsches ready for the holidays)
    11) Varnished wood acoustic guitars or colored lacquer electric guitars(Meg`s M16 was actually a preferred wax by some guitar makers)
    12) Metal or plastic playground slides (Use caution: taller slides can REALLY send small kids flying if adults are unaware of a "waxed" slide, as the kid becomes a small projectile that the adult may not catch or get knocked over with at the slide end)
    13) Toboggan or saucer bottoms (MUCH cheaper than ski wax)
    14) Snow shovels for wet snow OR Dirt shovels or spades for clay (Works REALLY well)
    15) Linoleum or tile floors for sliding across with wool socks on for the longest-distance slide "competitions" (OK, I did this as a kid and it was HIGHLY dangerous and frowned upon by my parents, not to mention the "difficulty" in removing with ammonia cleaners and elbow grease by said applicator!!)
    16) Bathroom porcelain sinks and toilets and fiberglass shower stalls (DO NOT do the toilet seat!! Women will slide off; NOT pretty especially if it is your Mom or significant other)
    17) Black leather shoes as an emergency shoe-polish substitute (Patten-leather REALLY likes M16)

As you can see, I have used carnauba waxes for a lot of "non-vehicle" applications, model cars and bikes as the exceptions.
    GB detailer
    Likes Oneheadlite, VitreousHumor, WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks fries, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve thrown away a couple products that didn`t live up to expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    finick- Actually, your "by weight.." makes perfect sense to me! Yeah, just not spending $ to make it go away, and the knowledge that somebody will get some use out of it, sounds great. Glad you found a solution that works for you.

If I weren`t so [darn] cyber-paranoid the Facebook route could be swell; if I weren`t so [darn] paranoid period there`d be Craigslist but I just won`t go there.
    It was quite the box. The guy jumped on it almost immediately. Apparently he has a detailing business he had just started and was really happy to snatch up some products to try out to see what he likes and didn’t like.

Aww cmon now. You’re our favorite cyber person. Granted, maybe it’s just because I’m young(ish) that I don’t rly care about my information being out there. Maybe I’ll regret it, who knows!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information