Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reining it in a bit on the products - it`s getting silly. You?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ... (you ARE cheap, Captain Obvious! Just sayin`!...) ...
    I prefer thrifty. Cheap sounds so... cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Only if you know what Krill, McIntosh, Carver (the brand I have), B&O, Klipsch, Paradigm, Altec-Lansing, TEAC, TASCOM, Nakamichi, or Ballfinger Reel-to-Reel (Google it!) are.
    (Marantz, 3M-Wollensak, Epicure, Onkyo, Bose 901 Series I thru V, Panasonic, Sony, Yamaha, JBL Professional, and Pioneer Signature Series, do not count)
    Agreed on all except Yamaha. Quality hi fi. Not all but a lot of products belong in top tier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Agreed on all except Yamaha. Quality hi fi. Not all but a lot of products belong in top tier
    Funny you mention Yamaha. I bought a Yamaha Receiver for an A-V Audio System with a 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound (it was the lastest technology when I bought it back in 2000) to take the place of my antiquated, but still working Carver System. Wow, does it have some very neat (AKA Patented) sound-enhancing features, which is why I bought it. But I digress....
    Back to reigning in all those car-care products!!
    GB detailer
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Back on topic.....got way too much stuff now...will be giving some stuff away as I`ve no use for it.....decided to try and narrow down products to one (two max) per task...i.e...one wheel cleaner...one APC....one tire dressing...one carnuba...one AIO....
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oneheadlite- Yeah, I have considered a brief Netflix membership. I`d like to see a few things on there and just might do it some time.

I`m quite familiar with M. Kondo`s approach and do like her enough to not be put off by the stuff that makes me and/but I`d still like to watch it (assuming I can deal with the interpreter factor). The whole "does it spark joy?" and the "respect your stuff" aspect of mottainai do really resonate with me. Heh heh, with all the [stuff] I`ve, uhm...accumulated...I gotta keep everything organized or I`d go nuts, and the Responsibility of Ownership has always been a big deal to me.

BUT, I hesitate to pitch things; I have lots of stuff (like in your Extractor example) that doesn`t get used/worn for years, but then it`s *exactly* what`s called for and I`m sure glad I have it.

We did the "label box, if not open in X years just pitch it", but I`m a lot more ruthless about enforcing that than my wife is. And I simply hate throwing away stuff that somebody might use. "How to dispose of things that still have utility" can be a real challenge for me.

Pressed for space...having now spent 18 years in The House we just *had* to have built well..watch what you wish for. [Stuff] really does seem to multiply to fill the available space.
    *googles mottainai* One other nice thing of getting in that kind of mindset is that it helps slow down your buying as it helps you look through the lens of "Where will this fit in" with regards to getting used (not just where will it fit storage wise ).

Like you, the dislike of just pitching something that still has useful life remaining is a big struggle for me. I`m reaching a point where I just want to have less stuff, so parting ways with things I`ve just been moving around is getting easier and easier. Most of our recent thinning is getting boxed and donated to go to a better home.

I have boxes of test parts I built up during my time at the dealership that have been sitting idle in my garage rafters for years now. Off to a friend with a shop with clientele more likely to use them. Plus stuff I had envisioned turning into "garage art" (the headlights and grills I changed out from my E30 M3 as an example, was going to wall mount them), but at this point I`m afraid it would look to much like clutter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    There is or was a forum called freecycle.org which might be good way to get rid of stuff. It`s for giving away things you don`t need or want to keep it out of the landfill.
    Thanks for the heads up on that one, I`ll have to keep it in mind.

Back to to the main topic - this weekend in the garage I grabbed my Griot`s Spray Wax to wipe down some roof rack bars one last time before storing them, and to put a lil something on an extension cord reel I`ll be hanging soon. Realized how I`m down to the last of the bottle for both that and Speed Shine, both products I`ve had in rotation for probably 10-15 years. It`s weird to think that once they`re gone I likely won`t restock them as they just don`t fit in to the flow like they used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    *googles mottainai* ...
    I love it when a Detailing discussion leads members to learn other stuff Probably one of, if not *the*, biggest kick I get out of this place.

...[I have].. stuff I had envisioned turning into "garage art" (the headlights and grills I changed out from my E30 M3 as an example, was going to wall mount them), but at this point I`m afraid it would look to much like clutter to me...
    Yeah, I`m gettig more discerning about such stuff too..preferring a pretty, uhm..sanitary...approach. Stuff you hang on walls needs cleaned too.

.. I`m down to the last of the bottle..[of]... Speed Shine... It`s weird to think..e I likely won`t restock ...
    I sometimes keep little bottles of such products so I can use their scents as a Wayback Machine. My old bottle of SpeedShine is from its intro, when they briefly called it Fast Shine.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love it when a Detailing discussion leads members to learn other stuff Probably one of, if not *the*, biggest kick I get out of this place.
    One of the things I appreciate most here is having a group of folks where I know I`ll value their opinion and input since if their standards are what they are for detailing, it`s very likely to translate to other aspects of life as well.

I sometimes keep little bottles of such products so I can use their scents as a Wayback Machine. My old bottle of SpeedShine is from its intro, when they briefly called it Fast Shine.
    Funny you mention that - When I was using the Spray Wax, I realized I`d forgotten how good that stuff smells...

Post Thanks / Like

I went on quite a run a few years ago and finally had to cut myself off. I`m pretty much down to only buying stuff I run out of (APC`s, Tire cleaners, etc....). I`ve got enough polishes/waxes/coatings to last me for quite some time and I refuse to buy any new until I need to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I went on quite a run a few years ago and finally had to cut myself off. I`m pretty much down to only buying stuff I run out of (APC`s, Tire cleaners, etc....). I`ve got enough polishes/waxes/coatings to last me for quite some time and I refuse to buy any new until I need to
    I was in that same spot too but it took away some of what I enjoy about this hobby. It was nice in that I focused on some areas that needed improvement instead of constantly dabbling with the latest and greatest. There is a happy middle ground out there.
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I gave away like 3 boxes of products last summer to a local detailer, including some nice waxes just because I was tired of all the space they took up. I`ve also been trying to control my purchasing of all the random crap, especially the "me too" products.

Post Thanks / Like

Only if you know what Krill, McIntosh, Carver (the brand I have), B&O, Klipsch, Paradigm, Altec-Lansing, TEAC, TASCOM, Nakamichi, or Ballfinger Reel-to-Reel (Google it!) are.
    (Marantz, 3M-Wollensak, Epicure, Onkyo, Bose 901 Series I thru V, Panasonic, Sony, Yamaha, JBL Professional, and Pioneer Signature Series, do not count)
    Odd list Lonnie. Krell, McIntosh sure, but most of the other choices don`t fit. All of the other brands have stellar products, but they have played in the mid-fi realm more so than hi-fi. Carver, Klipsch, Paradigm, Teac - they run with the NAD, Adcom, Hafler, and Denon crowd, whereas Krell and McIntosh run with the snobs at Mark Levinson, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, Counterpoint, and such.

I was a huge Carver nut in the 80`s and early 90`s. Had 1.0t, TFM-45, C-16, Amazing Loudspeakers, and a Carver CD player made by --- Yamaha!

So BACK on topic, I am also paring down my HiFi. I had a venerable used audio store in my house a few years ago. Down to maybe 15 pieces now. Just like my detailing "stuff", I think with age, and the feeling of mortality, comes an urge to NOT acquire.

Post Thanks / Like

Got 3-4 more boxes in form AG, Amazon and AdamsReining it in a bit on the products - it`s getting silly. You?Reining it in a bit on the products - it`s getting silly. You? All the while compile performance and appearance parts for the GT. Reining it in a bit on the products - it`s getting silly. You?Reining it in a bit on the products - it`s getting silly. You?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, back in the day when I was running my detailing business I had around 250-300 various products in my garage!

Nowadays I`m cutting it down to about 2-3 "go to" products in each category, wash soaps, LSP, polish, wheel cleaner, etc. There`s really no need to have over 100 products in my opinion, just find 2 or 3 in each category that work really well and stick with them.

Post Thanks / Like

What really upsets me is buying something and then discovering that I already have it. grrrr
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I started another binge. I liked ICE spray wax so much I bought the whole exterior line. Just tried the wash and wax today, very impressed so far. Have paste wax arriving tomorrow.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information