Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s HCW update

I`ve had the HCW on the car about 2 weeks now, with the 2nd application on for about 4 days. My observations so far:
    For the first few days, the HCW is a dust MAGNET. After about the third day, the dust just seems to "fall off" and is gone. There was also some light smearing from the 2nd application that lasted about 2 days and then it was gone.

This morning it`s raining lightly, but it`s too dark to see the beading, hopefully it will rain harder later today so I can see how well it beads up under rain water ... I would say that I hope for heavier rain so I can see the self-cleaning, but since the all of that dust seems to have fallen off on its own ...
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes SWETM, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar`s HCW update

Maybe you put a static charge into your car which dissipated after a few days. Who was that member here who had a detailing shop who used to talk about taking a jumper cable and attaching it to the car chassis and to a drain pipe to ground the car so as not to build up a static charge when buffing off residues with a MF towel. He`s retired now...Jimmy Buffit, that`s it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Maybe you put a static charge into your car which dissipated after a few days. Who was that member here who had a detailing shop who used to talk about taking a jumper cable and attaching it to the car chassis and to a drain pipe to ground the car so as not to build up a static charge when buffing off residues with a MF towel. He`s retired now...Jimmy Buffit, that`s it.
    That`s actually not a bad idea, I`m gonna try doing something like this and try it. Especially on the higher end jobs

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the 4th application of HCW. This last time, I used a wet mf wax applicator and a single spritz of HCW per panel. Going one panel at a time, I applied the HCW, then immediately buffed it off with a clean dry microfiber cloth. Once complete, I took a fresh microfiber and gave the finish a final wipe.

The whole process about 20 minutes (I washed the car last night & it sat in the garage until I pulled it out to apply the HCW). I`m really starting to like this stuff, it seems like the car gets slicker and darker with every application.

Forgive the haziness of the pic, my phone`s camera has been acting up lately.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a beading pic of HCW after over 500 miles of accumulated dirt & driving in the rain. This was after a light rain after I got to work.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s HCW update

My hood after a little rain today. The left side of the pic is MHCW. It’s been 4 weeks and 3k miles since it was applied or the truck has been washed PBs EX on the right side of the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Application #5

WARNING LABOR INTENSIVE

I got off work early today and the car needed washed, so I decided to try a slightly different application method ... applying it like a "regular" wax.

I washed & dried the car, then using a damp mf applicator I sprayed the HCW on the damp pad (one or two sprays per panel) and applied it in a cross-hatch pattern to ensure full coverage. It went on semi heavy this way and once I had the whole car covered, I rinsed it off the best I could, but I don`t have a pressure washer OR decent water pressure so I was left with a wet car, heavy smearing and so-so water beading.

Taking a clean mf cloth, I dried the car, which took about 90% of the smears away, and I didn`t want to `dry buff` the car and possibly cause marring, so I rinsed the car a second time.

THIS TIME, the water beading was the best I`ve ever seen with HCW, very tight and many of them were silver, almost like droplets of ice they were so tight.

The 2nd (actually the third) drying went extremely smooth and the paint finish was flawless, there must be some kind of filling properties because the few fine swirls in the paint were gone.

I would definitely consider HCW a "beauty wax," even more so than Pinnacle Sovereign, with much better longevity than Sovereign.

Speaking of longevity, I`m probably not going to be the one to ask, since I`m the type to apply SOMETHING after every wash, I`m THAT OCD.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    What Last-Step Product ( i.e.; wax, sealant, or coating) do you have on this Camaro that is underneath the Meg`s Hybrid Ceramic Wax OR did you remove that LSP before applying HCW?
    Seems to me that you used Meg`s Fast Finish sealant some time ago and that your co-workers noticed the appearance of your always pristine Camaro was even "better" or "different". Do you get comments from your co-workers about the appearance of your Camaro using HCW??

I also think that your "heavy application, two rinse methodology" might be a key to using this new product OR that the use of a pressure washer rinse may activate the chemicals better in this "wax" to make it "work" on a vehicle finish. What specific microfiber (s?) are you using to wipe down/off is HCW from the Camaro and how many are you using in this "HA-2R" process?

Your analogy comparison of HCW to Pinnacle`s Sovereign as a "beauty wax" is unique. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One thing that is definitely NOT comparable is the price difference. That is one characteristic that HCW has over sovereign: value for performance. If I can get 90% of the look for 25% of the price with half the effort, that`s a no-brainer bargain for me!

More questions: (What else is new, Captain Obvious!!)
    1) Would you characterize HCW as a:
    a) Stand-alone true Last-Step Product
    b) Maintenance spray over Meg`s Fast Finish sealant or their Ultimate Wax
    c) Topper/gloss enhancer, although you already KINDA answered that by saying it is NOT a quick-detailer
    2) Any comparison to the much-touted Renny Doyle Double-Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant??
    (I would hope other Autopians would chime in on this if they have any have tried and "experimented" with these two sprays.)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Obesssed Garage on you tube...Great video on HCW at their headquaters.

Post Thanks / Like

Best to just post the video here

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Don:
    What Last-Step Product ( i.e.; wax, sealant, or coating) do you have on this Camaro that is underneath the Meg`s Hybrid Ceramic Wax OR did you remove that LSP before applying HCW?
    Seems to me that you used Meg`s Fast Finish sealant some time ago and that your co-workers noticed the appearance of your always pristine Camaro was even "better" or "different". Do you get comments from your co-workers about the appearance of your Camaro using HCW??

I also think that your "heavy application, two rinse methodology" might be a key to using this new product OR that the use of a pressure washer rinse may activate the chemicals better in this "wax" to make it "work" on a vehicle finish. What specific microfiber (s?) are you using to wipe down/off is HCW from the Camaro and how many are you using in this "HA-2R" process?

Your analogy comparison of HCW to Pinnacle`s Sovereign as a "beauty wax" is unique. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One thing that is definitely NOT comparable is the price difference. That is one characteristic that HCW has over sovereign: value for performance. If I can get 90% of the look for 25% of the price with half the effort, that`s a no-brainer bargain for me!

More questions: (What else is new, Captain Obvious!!)
    1) Would you characterize HCW as a:
    a) Stand-alone true Last-Step Product
    b) Maintenance spray over Meg`s Fast Finish sealant or their Ultimate Wax
    c) Topper/gloss enhancer, although you already KINDA answered that by saying it is NOT a quick-detailer
    2) Any comparison to the much-touted Renny Doyle Double-Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant??
    (I would hope other Autopians would chime in on this if they have any have tried and "experimented" with these two sprays.)
    I`ll try to answer your questions the best I can, in the order asked.

What LSP do I have on the car BENEATH the HCW?

On the hood, roof and trunk, nothing. I polished those surfaces using Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish and a maroon Meg`s cutting pad, the sides had UFF applied a few months ago, but the saline spray from the snowy roads seems to have worn it down pretty well.

My coworkers definitely saw an improvement with the HCW. They have gone so far as to say that there is NO WAY that I could make the car any "Shinier." ... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I`m using generic microfiber-wrapped application pads for the application and Sam`s Club bulk microfiber cloths for the drying and wipe-downs. For the "HA-2R" process, I use 3 microfiber cloths. One for the initial dry after the wash, one for drying the car after the "application rinse," and a third for the "final wipe" rinse and maybe a fourth (lightly damp) cloth for a "just for good measure" wipe to get the odd .remaining smear.

My comparison to Sovereign is not something I can describe or even show in pictures. It`s one of those: "You had to be there" things that only with the naked eye can you "detect." A subtle "over the top" thing that you have to see in person to appreciate - I hope that makes sense. And you`re right, there is no comparison on the price aspect

I would characterize HCW as: possibly "A" (like I mentioned, I`ve been applying it too often to test its durability), But DEFINITELY "B" and "C". It finishes off so smooth, so crisp and clear that IMO, it EXCELS as a topper, maintenance spray OR a gloss enhancer, though it`s definitely NOT a QD (unless used as a spray-on, rinse-off with a pressure washer).

I cannot answer #2 as I have never used Bead-Maker, or another rising favorite, Sonax PNS.

I hope I`ve answered your questions, though I`m sure you will have some more
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Best to just post the video here

Sorry didn`t want to post links to sites, also not that computer savvy….

Post Thanks / Like

After applying HCW to my car 5 times (the 1st time using WAY to much), this is how much I have left:

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a decent consumer level product. The TW ceramic spray wax is getting good reviews as well.

Post Thanks / Like

5 coats of HCW in the sunlight

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information