Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products and techniques for removing "road film"

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I would never use Reset as a foam but Reset FWIW, is a ahmazzzing shampoo. It`s my top tier - go to only shampoo. I don`t do ROI cost per oz, but it cleans well, lubricious and it does not require ~much~ in a 5 gal bucket.
    I agree I would not use Reset as a prewash. Or any car soap for that matter if you only foam and rinse off. It can be effective to foam a car soap on afterwards you have done the prewash and start touching wash it with the foam on. But Reset is no economical foam soap. If you have some spots left on the paint after 2-3 wipes. I let it be and move on and come back when I`m done with the panel and it`s useally easier to be cleaned.

Even if I preach about prewash process it`s not the holy grail to be absolutely clean afterwards. The last dirt is needed to be aggitated to be cleaned off. So why do I do the prewash? It is so when I touching wash it will be easier to release the dirt and get to use less aggitations when doing it. Also it makes my wash media and rinse water way cleaner after a wash. So I could be rinse the loose dirt off and then touch washing. And get as clean paint as with a prewash. But with less of aggitations you minimize the risk of marring and scratches. Your LSP is often most affected by aggitations so you have a chance off a higher protection until you reapply the LSP. And I feel even when it has takeing longer time between washes than I would like. The contaminants build up has been less than ever before with this car. Next month it`s 2 years since I had it clayed and polished. And still I feel a smooth feeling after a wash on the paint. This have been with various LSP and also a couple of times I have feeled that the LSP has been done. I have gotten some marring and swirls and some RIDS during this time. But only a little I think has come by the washing and drying. The most defects on the paint has come by the need of takeing off the snow. We get fined here in Sweden if we have a build up of snow on our vehicals. So just natural build up from the driving is acceptable to have. The hood and the roof has gotten some marring from takeing the frosen on snow off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Road film for me, is either
    - Film from driving on wet rainy roads
    - And or the wintery salt mess

I`ve tried many methods but it still requires mechanical agitation.
    Last year, it was forecasted for a 24 or 36 hr rain day. This was going to be my ultimate pre-soak test
    Pulled the car out of the garage, and let it sit in the rain.
    The following morning, I used the pressure washer to do a HP rinse, and used of my pre-soak soaps.
    It made no dent in the film and I still needed to do a non touchless - mechanical wash.
    Agreed. I`ve also tried this. It works to break up or soften some of the curb that builds up in seams, molding, etc. But in the end you still need to touch the paint to get it clean.
    A pressure rinse followed by spraying the panel with ONR is my preferred method. Then follow up with a rinseless wash. Coatings help with the ease at which dirt comes off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post

I have used Super Clean as a TFR, but solely when the car hasn`t been washed for a couple of weeks and/or has encountered rain, but the use is rare. On my 17 yr old vehicle, I want to remove all the traffic film that I can and do so most gently, Super Clean can lean towards a bit aggressive and doesn`t give me the dwell time I`d like. Super Clean also leaves a residue in my experience and thats the main reason I don`t use it. Super Clean does really well in the foam cannon though.
    What dilution were you using, TheMeanGreen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superstring View Post
    What dilution were you using, TheMeanGreen?
    5 parts DI water : 1 part cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Purple power vehicle and boat wash is my go too. It`s very effective at salt, calcium chloride oily film removal. I foam it on let it dwell five to ten minutes before rinsing off. Then I go back over it again with light agitation to get that last five-ten percent. Really like it when I do the undercarriage. Cleans well in places where I can`t agitate. At eight dollars a gallon and how it works for me I haven`t thought of trying other stuff.
    Same here! Love this stuff
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    5 parts DI water : 1 part cleaner
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Same here! Love this stuff
    Too bad PP isn`t easily available in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots does not recommend using their foaming surface prep on a coating. Do you guys think PP boat and RV would be OK for a coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

PP is like a 10ph. Are coatings good with high ph cleaners?

of course just the ph doesn`t tell the whole story. One also has to know capacity of the ph. Take coke and lemon juice. Both around the same ph, but very different capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

of course just the ph doesn`t tell the whole story. One also has to know capacity of the ph. Take coke and lemon juice. Both around the same ph, but very different capacity.
    When you say "capacity", are you referring to buffering capacity?

Post Thanks / Like

Chemistry 101: PH values are between 0-14, with distilled water being a value of 7, or neutral. Basic, or alkaline, is above or greater than 7. Most soaps are alkaline (or basic) by chemical nature. So when someone mentions that Power Clean Car and Boat Wash has a PH value of 10, that is pretty high alkalinity! Acids, on the other hand are below or less than 7. In car care cleaning chemicals, detailers use acidic cleaners such a mineral deposit removers or wheel (rim, if you are into semantics!) brake dust removers, or ferrous/iron speck decontaminators.
    One easy way to tell the PH value of the detailing product you are using is to check the manufacturer`s Material Safety Data Sheet or MSDS.Every chemical manufacturer, foreign or domestic, is required by Occupational Safety and Heath Administration (OSHA) law to have one for the products they sell to the public or consumer in the United States. This sheet will tell you its PH value, what health or safety concerns it may pose to personally when using it, and what Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) you may need to use or wear in its use.
    Two "chemicals" that a detailer should have in their arsenal of safety-related equipment on hand and easily accessable (IE near-by and within reach) are Baking Soda (sodium bi-carbonate) and White Vinegar (5% acetic acid), along with a gallon jug of distilled water or spray bottle filled with distilled water. Both of these can save a serious skin burn or even your eye-sight should a detailing chemical "accident" occur to neutralize an acid or alkaline on your person.
    This public service safety reminder was brought to by Captain Obvious, who wants you to be safe while detailing. Back to the discussion on Traffic Road Film soap/cleaners...
    GB detailer
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would dilute 5 to 1 as mentioned above. Wouldn’t dilution lower PH value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It is important to understand that pH is a measure of intensity, and not capacity; i.e., pH indicates the intensity of alkalinity in the same way temperature tells how hot something is, but not how much heat the substance carries. Other than the two pH extremes, the pH scale becomes secondary to the inherent properties of the specific chemical in terms of corrosiveness. As an example, the pH of carbonated cola soda (which contains phosphoric acid) is in the 2.5 range. A concentrated (35%) hydrogen peroxide solution has a pH of approximately 3.5. Carbonated cola soda may be slightly irritating to the eyes, causing no permanent damage. However, a 35% hydrogen peroxide solution will cause chemical burns to the skin or mucous membranes. Thus, it is not the pH factor alone that causes corrosion of surfaces products. Then add in ph of a substance changes with temperatures. I think ph tests are usually done at 25 degrees centigrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax Max Power might be an option for some, its under $5 for a nice sized bottle at Walmart. Its a high PH cleaner that comes in a very thin liquid that is sprayable even at full concentration.

594e0ecf-35a6-4eba-b095-24878de23047_1.87d3986704be7d90c7f7aae9fa5acf9f.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Turtle Wax Max Power might be an option for some, its under $5 for a nice sized bottle at Walmart. Its a high PH cleaner that comes in a very thin liquid that is sprayable even at full concentration.

Products and techniques for removing "road film"-594e0ecf-35a6-4eba-b095-24878de23047_1.87d3986704be7d90c7f7aae9fa5acf9f.jpeg
    Dan:
    Do you use this wash soap for maintenance 2-bucket wash (2BW) AND do you change the dilution ratio to the suggested stronger ratios for pre-correction or LSP application washers?
    I ask because Armour-All had (past tense) a thick citrus-based wash that I bought about 12 years ago at Big Lots. I liked it so much I bought out their entire inventory stock and was sad that I could no longer find it (Hey, it was at a close-out store for a reason!). I just wondering if this a re-formulation of this product that somehow Turtle Wax "copied" (we call it Reverse Engineering in the mechanical design field) and is now selling. It`s inexpensive (cheap) and readily available over-the-counter (OTC). Its only disadvantage is the Turtle Wax name and its associated reputation as a second-rate car-cleaning chemical manufacturer. If it works, why not use it.
    Hey some detailer within this forum uses L.A. Totally Awesome (LATA) from Dollar General for a Degreaser/APC for cleaning wheel wells ALL the time.
    Just because care -care chemical does not have the detailing manufacturer pedigreed or cost an arm-and-a-leg doesn`t mean it may not be good!
    GB detailer
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information