Post Thanks / Like

1st Use: Megs HCW

I went ahead and took advantage of today`s heat wave (48*) and picked up a bottle of Meguiar`s Hybrid Ceramic Wax at Advance Auto ($14.99 + tax with a $5.00 online rebate).

The car was in dire need of a good wash since it hasn`t been touched in months and was a bit crusty with salt.
    Using a fairly strong wash mix ... 3 oz of Hyperwash to 5 gallons of water, I hosed off as much of the crusted salt as I could, then did an involved two bucket wash.

Once the car was clean and still wet, I started with the HCW. Between the directions and what I`ve seen on the internet, I decided to spray it on and wipe it in. I have the strong feeling that I used too much. It IS thick and comes out of the bottle in a heavy spray.

I sprayed it on and wiped it in, the mf quickly became soaked and I probably made a mistake by not wringing it out, but I kept wiping it in until I went over the whole car.

The HCW was on the paint THICK and I didn`t see it coming off easily so I decided to try the hose off method. Apparently my hose doesn`t have enough pressure to work the HCW off the car, so after getting the car totally soaked again, I began with a fresh microfiber and began drying the car - wringing the towel out this time and it did fairly well removing the haze of the HCW. Once I had dried the whole car, It looked similar to after applying Ultimate Fast Finish, but before wiping off the residue.

So as a final wipe, I took a second fresh, slightly damp cloth and lightly went over the car. This did a fantastic job of removing the `high spots` that remained.

Once finished, I used the back of my hand and felt the finish. It felt very similar to UFF using my hand, but not quite as slick when wiped with a mf.

It`s supposed to rain tonight and maybe tomorrow, so if it does, perhaps I`ll take the car out and check out the beading.
    I know it didn`t happen unless there are pics, so here they are. The car actually looks better in person, my phone`s camera has been acting up.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st Use: Megs HCW

That sounds like a lot of trouble for a spray and rinse product. I’ve still only used Hydro2lite and all I did was spray it on and rinse it off, no rubbing necessary. I would suggest doing the car a panel at the time instead on the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    That sounds like a lot of trouble for a spray and rinse product. I’ve still only used Hydro2lite and all I did was spray it on and rinse it off, no rubbing necessary. I would suggest doing the car a panel at the time instead on the whole car.

Of course I couldn`t leave well enough alone, so I tried a second, dry application a few hours later. Taking a clean, dry mf I sprayed it once with the HCW and going panel by panel, I wiped it on, then buffed it off with a new dry mf and buffed the panel.

It flashed pretty well and only left a few ... smears? high spots? that needed buffed off. The exterior glass came out crystal clear.

Time and probably some more experimentation will tell if it is worth the $11 (after rebate).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Mothers CMX yesterday. I intentionally applied it thick in some places. I got a few streaks and then went over it with a different microfiber and it buffed clean.

I just don`t understand why Megs always mixes their products with inferior waxes and fillers. The last Megs product I tried was Paint Protect and that was an oily mess to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Of course I couldn`t leave well enough alone, so I tried a second, dry application a few hours later. Taking a clean, dry mf I sprayed it once with the HCW and going panel by panel, I wiped it on, then buffed it off with a new dry mf and buffed the panel.

It flashed pretty well and only left a few ... smears? high spots? that needed buffed off. The exterior glass came out crystal clear.

Time and probably some more experimentation will tell if it is worth the $11 (after rebate).
    $11 is very inexpensive and probably well worth it. If you can check on it monthly and let us know how long it protects your car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned, I can`t leave well enough alone ...

39* with a 29* windchill

Getting the car out of the garage, even with the heavy cloud cover, I could see numerous smears/high spots so I took it to the coin-op this afternoon before the race and just using the high pressure rinse, I went over the car. After a few passes, I started getting the water beading/sheeting that I`ve seen in all the UTube videos.

After 5 minutes of rinsing, I pulled it to the vacuums to dry it off. Even in the cooler temps, it dried off like a dream. Absolutely no signs of smearing and the finish looked awesome. Granted, this isn`t a full sun viewing, but still, it looks good.

My question now is was the high-pressure rinse necessary or would the hydrophobic properties have come out on their own after a day or two of rain or a few regular washes?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    It seems like a lot of manual "work" to get this product to do its designed "thing" (AKA work) for you.
    I am interested in the window application and how it affects the front windshield and wiper efficiency , like if it smears or streaks the rain water as it wipes or if it looks hazy under street lights. Those two characteristics of Rain-X are the reasons I do not use it very often on my front windshield. Have not tried the glass coatings out their nor the other rain-sheeting window products out there like AquaPel or Glass Science.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Don:
    It seems like a lot of manual "work" to get this product to do its designed "thing" (AKA work) for you.
    I am interested in the window application and how it affects the front windshield and wiper efficiency , like if it smears or streaks the rain water as it wipes or if it looks hazy under street lights. Those two characteristics of Rain-X are the reasons I do not use it very often on my front windshield. Have not tried the glass coatings out their nor the other rain-sheeting window products out there like AquaPel or Glass Science.
    The effects on glass have all been positive so far, crystal clear (even after a mild rain) and during the rain, the water just slid off like with Rain-X.

As for the amount of manual effort, I did mention that I believed I used way to much HCW, which added A LOT of work to the equation. Now having experience with the HCW, I`m positive that any subsequent uses will be far less labor intensive.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Second application. Washed car & left wet. Then, starting at the top and going a panel at a time MISTED the HCW on the surface and then dried the panel completely. It went much easier and faster this time. Once done with the whole car, I took a clean, moderately damp mf cloth and wiped down the car again, removing what few, slight smears remained.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thread Information