Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure Washing Advice Please

1400psi seems great. And if you find it to be a little low it`s not to much to buy a set of 3.5 orifice nozzle tips. Just look up so it the 3.5 don`t get you above 2400psi. And also since your PW is rated at 2.4gpm don`t expect to get much more than that. Gpm is not the same to tune with as the psi is. Also they have a chart or calculator on which orifice that suits your PW pump in the foamcannon. I think that you will be in the higher range of the standard 1.25mm orifice in the foamcannon. So don`t get the popular 1.1mm orifice in the foamcannon as you will put too much load on the PW pump. You can break the pump or even a hose or handle if you get a too high of psi from when useing the foamcannon or a nozzle tip that you have a higher psi than it can handle. Electric problems can be a problem then too with overheated circuits and fuses going. Many don`t think of the 1.1mm orifice in the foamcannon as to be used in the smaller specs PW like those with 1600psi and 1.2gpm. Saw one that used it on a quite big gas PW with that small orifice. That can end in a disaster for him and he claims to be a pro detailer. So my recommendation is to use the standard 1.25mm orifice and look up so it is that one in it as they have started to sell with the 1.1mm orifice but useally that is noted if done. You could try the 1.30mm orifice but you could get a little to thin of a foam with your specs. So look up the orifice calculator for foamcannon orifices and see what is recommended to use with your PW and stick with that.

Post Thanks / Like

3100 pressure is pretty high for normal car detailing. All my pro-detailer friends that use over 3000psi only use it on industrial farm equipment. At my shop, we just use the Ryobi`s. There`s a few different models that are good. Mine right now is 1700 psi with 1.2gpm. Get the warranty tho, it`s not that much money and it will break if being used in a pro-detailing setting so I just buy that and get a new one about once a year for free with the warranty.

In terms of things to be careful of with a pressure washer, nothing major just use common sense. It`s really not that scary and you can use it on the engine bay as well (some people say not to use a pw on the engine bay). Just keep the nozzle a good distance away from paint and be careful around areas like headlights (the seals on older headlights aren`t as good as they used to be, so the pressure washer can force water past the seals), rock chips (since you are using very high pressure, be careful of rock chips (I`ve seen more paint peel up from a pressure washer on a rock chip). Everything else you should be ok. Keep it a safe distance and use a lighter duty tip (the white or the green ones). You don`t need the medium to heavy duty tips (yellow, black tornado tip), the water pressure is far aggressive enough to get the dirt and salt off with ease.
    Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would chime in on this post. After having to go through 3 Sun Joes to finally get one that did not leak, I going to buy a PowerStroke. The PowerStrokes use a axial cam pump unlike a lot of the Chinese pressure washers under $300 which use cheaper wobble pumps. WalMart sells the PowerStroke 2000 psi unit for $189. In our area Costco offers the 2200 psi unit for $249. I think I am going to buy the PowerStroke 2000 psi unit from WalMart, I don’t need 2200 psi. And yes it is 1.2 GPM, which works for me. A lot of the Chinese PWs don’t come close to their published specs on GPM or pressure. The PowerStroke has a 13 amp brushless induction motor. Somewhere down the road I will buy a Comet Static 1700. By the way Scott at Dallas Paint Protection under his Luxury Microfiber Store company sells a great package that includes the Comet Static 1700 and everything you need to wash a car including quick connects (he is currently out of stock).

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a wide fan type spray. A pinpoint spray can damage paint, especially older paint. You don`t want to start peeling paint off of your car or a customer`s car.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wannafbody for the info. You reinforced what I have being thinking about.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d also keep high psi/pinpoint spray away from the rim-to-tire bead junction. For a while there Michelin was saying to never pressure wash wheels/tires due to the damage that was being reported (no such problems IME but my pressure washers aren`t that potent). But then I can`t imagine anybody actually directing a pinpoint spray at a vehicle anyhow...guess you never know, but still...
    Likes ht330ci liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information