Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure Washing Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
    I have never used a pressure washer on a car before. After reading here I am going to give it a try. I was planning on using it as a first step to remove the heavier dirt/salt from the paint and wheel wells. What type of things should I be cautious of doing ? It is 3100 psi and I was planning on using the general purpose ( medium ) spray tip. Thank you for any advice.
    My old company used a 3500 psi PW to blast old ground in gum out of cement. Which worked well on cement walkways.
    3100 psi that would be a worry for me and paint.

I use a bitty lil` 1600psi 1.2gpm

Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going to say use your hand for a reference point The one I use is 2500 psi. 2.5gpm. Works good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    I use a bitty lil` 1600psi 1.2gpm
    Well, that`s still more potent than mine is

Post Thanks / Like

Dan.

I`ve got a metal flex adapter. Can twist it any way I want. I never use it. All I use off the gun for car washing is a flex wand. Basically metal - rubber boot- metal with quick disconnect. I think partially because the 8-12 ball quick disconnect can be such a @@#@_ b!!$##$ to ~that is not so quick disconnect~ that I avoid/minimize my disconnects/connect routine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Dan.

I`ve got a metal flex adapter. Can twist it any way I want. I never use it. All I use off the gun for car washing is a flex wand. Basically metal - rubber boot- metal with quick disconnect. I think partially because the 8-12 ball quick disconnect can be such a @@#@_ b!!$##$ to ~that is not so quick disconnect~ that I avoid/minimize my disconnects/connect routine.
    I`m with you on the disconnecting bit, its a pain! My 45 degree nozzle has 3 positions, down, straight and up, just have to flip it. I`m intrigued about the flex adapter, do you have a link to one?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW thank you ALL for the great info and comments. I already have the Power Washer, I use it on the house, porch, deck ect. Thats the reason for its high power. I also use it on the patio and sidewalk with one of those pressure washer surface cleaners,,which I do like. After reading all the info here I think I may hold off on using it for a while until I gain more experience with car detailing,,, I dont want to start sending Hood Ornaments across the street LOL LOL,,, Again a vast amount of great knowledge,,,,thank you all !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

More gpm’s better for foam cannon. If you like thick shaving cream foam need at least 1.6 lot of pressure washers 1.2. This actually works better I think. Like foam kinda runny as I feel the foam makes sense if wiping car down to have thicker lubrication but I find when foaming in and rinsing off when foam is little runnier it grabs more dirt when running down the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Looks very cool, but it costs more than my pressure washer :-D

I have one of these guys:

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Mark-C.../dp/B07CGPB5YL

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing- I bet you could use your (current) pressure washer with zero problems. Sounds like you`re cognizant of the stuff you need to keep in mind, so it shouldn`t be that tricky to avoid overdoing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator- Thnx for your comments/help,,,maybe Ill wait and see what I have for salt on my car in the spring and let my car be the test dummy lol lol,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing- Heh heh, if you wait until winter`s really over it might be some kind of test all right!

Part of why *I* am all about using the little pressure washer is my ongoing challenge of overspray in the overcrowded shop (even having sold a few it`s still too crowded!). So while that might be perfect for me, there`s sure a lot more utility in something more powerful.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator- I understand what ur saying If I was going to get one just for cars I think it will be smaller and electric. Thnx for the help/info/opinions,,, its appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

MTM I think it`s that has a diagram with which nozzle orifice tip size will get you the wanted pressure from the PW. Just need the gpm and the psi from the PW pump. Follow the gpm down to where you see a suited psi you would want. I useally want between 1500-2000psi when the gpm from the PW is above 2.5gpm. IME when you go down to 1000psi with whatever gpm you have you don`t get an effective cleaning ability from the PW. Sure rinsing works great but to clean with the water pressure from the PW. I want at least 1500psi even with a very high gpm from the PW and that`s up to 5gpm that I have used.

Found the link

https://www.mtmhydroparts.com/pages/...ize-calculator

So put in the gpm your PW has and the wanted psi and you get the size of the orifice to use.
    / Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that Tony. I checked mine and it’s a 4.0 tip. My pump is 2.4gpm at 2400psi so I’m getting around 1400psi. After looking at a chart it looks like, with the 4.0 I’m getting around 3.1gpm. I’m glad I checked because my backup up tip on the pw cart is a 3.0. I think the 4.0 is probably a good choice feedback is welcome. According to my wife I’m wrong most of the time. LOL
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information