Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody Use Mother`s Speed Clay 2.0?

Has anybody used it? What are your thoughts?

I need a new clay towel and this is attractive for the price. It`s either this or the Nanoskin AS-015 Handy Towel. I`m not looking to spend a ton on a clay towel right now so I was hoping some of you guys have used these products and can give some feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody Use Mother`s Speed Clay 2.0?

I just bought one ... but so far Mother Nature hasn`t cooperated so I can try it out.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it last summer and it works pretty well. Although the only car I was able to test it on was only 6 months old so it didn`t have too many things embedded in the paint. Personally I think if it`s a car that`s older and has never been clayed before, use actually clay bars but then use the the speed clay 2.0 as a maintenance thing so just once or twice a year after your intial job to keep the paint healthy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have plenty of clay. I`ve used towels before (i think it was uber`s) but was looking for something more affordable this time around. I`m not sure if I`ll ever go back to regular clay tbh, there`s really no point in it. Towels are faster, last longer, end up being cheaper, and carry less risk of scratching than clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post
    I`m not sure if I`ll ever go back to regular clay tbh, there`s really no point in it. Towels .. carry less risk of scratching than clay.
    Interesting, I take the exact opposite tack..I simply can`t figure out how a Towel can be used without a greater risk of marring, but then my claying technique is utterly off-the-deep-end and I don`t expect to ever do a mechanical decontamination on a whole vehicle again.

Quote Originally Posted by Apar
    ...[I]..use the the speed clay 2.0 as a maintenance thing so just once or twice a year after your intial job
    Welcome to Autopia!

Yikes, you must get a lot of contamination in your area to be decontaminating that often!
    Likes Apar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You might be right Accumulator. Tbh I almost always follow up my claying with a polish. Nothing extreme, usually either HD Speed or HD polish. I huess when I say it carries less risk I mean I can completely rinse the junk off the towel, with clay you just knead the crap deeper into the clay, but you`re still rubbing your paint with contaminated clay.

I could be wrong, maybe clay is less risky, but for how much longer it seems to take me it`s just not worth it.

I haven`t been around in a while, are you still using Valugard`s ABC system ornhave you moved on to something else?

Post Thanks / Like

brownbog06- Hey, good memory! I haven`t needed to do any real decontamination for years, but I do still have ABC (well, the A & B parts) on the shelf. The vehicles wearing Fk1000P just don`t seem to get bonded contaminants, and on the A8 (wearing OCW) the contamination is quite minimal.

I finally clayed both the Tahoe and the A8 last year after letting it go for...gee, at least five (Tahoe) and three (A8) years, and there was so little on there that in hindsight it was a waste of time/effort that didn`t need to be done.

Yeah, if you`re kneading the clay much the contamination might work its way back to the working surface. I generally just tear off little pieces, do a few square inches (very few) and then get a new piece. Yes indeed, I can go through clay! Perfectly understandable that you (like so many here) find it best to just use the Towel Approach and then do a light polishing, I`m kinda pushing the limits of how minimal an approach I can take (basically just wash/LSP).

Post Thanks / Like

I just started using FK1000p. Got a new car at the beginning of January and so far the FK1000p seems to be holding up well. I can`t wait until the winter is over and the salt is gone though.

I`ve been overall unimpressed with the beading though. I`m pretty sure it has to do with the weather though, keeping a car clean through this much rain and salt (I live in Cincy now, so not a lot of snow here) is a pain. That combined with me not claying and doing a proper full prep before applying are probably the culprits. Living in an apartment I`m fine with doing a rinseless wash in my garage, but not clay and prep without a hose and resources to do a full proper wash. Once spring rolls around it will get some iron X, clay, polish, ceramic coating then topped with FK1000p.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the rubber mitt clay thing to a traditional clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I prefer the rubber mitt clay thing to a traditional clay bar.
    Me too, I held off for a long time for the hype to wear off. I haven`t touched real clay since. The little nanoskin blocks get everywhere I need them to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post
    I just started using FK1000p..I`ve been overall unimpressed with the beading though...
    It does *not* bead like some products...I`m thinking fresh M16 or Collinite, but overall it`s never been something that caught my attention. But maybe the wash isn`t getting it completely clean.
    I`m pretty sure it has to do with the weather though, keeping a car clean through this much rain and salt (I live in Cincy now, so not a lot of snow here) is a pain.
    Yeah, I suspect there`s some kind of film still on there. I can do a home-touchless on the FK`ed Tahoe and the dirt just comes up off the surface and gets flushed away on the beads.
    That combined with me not claying and doing a proper full prep before applying are probably the culprits.
    I dunno...I`ve *NEVER* had a durability issue from not doing a "proper prep". I didn`t decontaminate the Tahoe (other than some spot-claying the lower parts as needed at every wash) for years and despite year-round use it didn`t matter. I generally don`t think of myself as doing decontamination any more, just isn`t needed.
    Living in an apartment...
    Oh man, that is one huge challenge and I truly sympathize. I`d go nuts...

I`ll be interested to hear how things go after you do that Big Detailing Job come spring Hopefully you`ll get the kind of miraculous results that I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, the protection is still there and the longevity is fine. The beading just isn`t as tight as some others. It`s fine, I just enjoy seeing rain bead off my car for some reason. I know it`s not indicative of actual protection, I just like it lol.

I suspect that now that I park in a garage isn`t helping. It used to be that if my car was dirty it looked great after a rain washed crap away. But now if it`s raining I go straight from the wet/dirty highway into my garage instead of the junk being rinsed away naturally by rain.

Overall the FK1000p is doing fine, perhaps I just need to top it with something a bit more hydrophobic purely for my own purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, the protection is still there and the longevity is fine. The beading just isn`t as tight as some others. It`s fine, I just enjoy seeing rain bead off my car for some reason. I know it`s not indicative of actual protection, I just like it lol.

I suspect that now that I park in a garage isn`t helping. It used to be that if my car was dirty it looked great after a rain washed crap away. But now if it`s raining I go straight from the wet/dirty highway into my garage instead of the junk being rinsed away naturally by rain.

Overall the FK1000p is doing fine, perhaps I just need to top it with something a bit more hydrophobic purely for my own purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

brownbob06- I too like the beading and have never had any of the supposed problems that can come with it.

Maybe the FK just needs refreshed.

I do kinda miss the beading I got from some waxes, the kind where the water would basically roll right off the whole car during a drive. Malm`s liquid was great for that (better than Collinite), but AFAIK the only Autopian with it on the shelf is JustJesus, and I haven`t heard about it from him.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the clay type tools because of equal pressure. Using a towel or mitt means you have high and low spots of pressure, resulting in uneven contamination removal and excessive marring from the 6 common pressure points (finger tips and the heel of the palm).

The tool distributes the pressure evenly so it`s more efficient at removing the contaminants.

Clay tools, towels and mitts are handy if you`re clumsy and have a habit of dropping them - just a rinse and you`re back in business versus throwing a clay bar away.
    forrest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information