Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody Use Mother`s Speed Clay 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Interesting, I take the exact opposite tack..I simply can`t figure out how a Towel can be used without a greater risk of marring, but then my claying technique is utterly off-the-deep-end and I don`t expect to ever do a mechanical decontamination on a whole vehicle again.
    I`m with you on this one and have first had experience between the two. My experience using the Nanoskin mild Autoscrub pad was not a good one. It created far more marring than clay, and it was pretty difficult to polish out of hard VW paint. I swore off clay substitues at that point.

I also find clay far easier to use. Granted there is the pressure not to drop it, but I found just about any good QD spray and even my car wash solution in the buket works well as a lube with clay. Clay substitutes I could never find a good lube. No matter the brand, nor how much I used would prevent terrible marring and grabbing of the surface.

Yikes, you must get a lot of contamination in your area to be decontaminating that often!
    I typically don`t clay unless I`m polishing and applying a new LSP, but from my experience I need to clay the rear hatch area and lower doors of our vehicles at least once a year in the spring. The constant grime and salt over winter leaves them pretty nasty. On my wife`s car I can feel the embedded contaminates with my bare hands, no need for a baggy test. None of our other vehicles get quite that bad, so it could just be the soft Toyota paint.

The clay doesn`t come out pitch black like some neglected car horror story, but it does show noticible amounts of grime being lifted off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownbob06 View Post
    Oh no, the protection is still there and the longevity is fine. The beading just isn`t as tight as some others. It`s fine, I just enjoy seeing rain bead off my car for some reason. I know it`s not indicative of actual protection, I just like it lol.

I suspect that now that I park in a garage isn`t helping. It used to be that if my car was dirty it looked great after a rain washed crap away. But now if it`s raining I go straight from the wet/dirty highway into my garage instead of the junk being rinsed away naturally by rain.

Overall the FK1000p is doing fine, perhaps I just need to top it with something a bit more hydrophobic purely for my own purposes.
    Is the tech the same in the the speed clay 2.0 as it is in the towels? I know the towels are "vulcanized rubber" but I`m not sure how different they all are or if the speed clay 2.0 is the same thing in block form.

I prefer the mitts over clay because it`s just so much quicker than traditional clay and I don`t notice any extra marring or anything like that. I`m pretty good about rinsing it off very often though. I still like to follow it up with a polish, but I`m the same way with traditional clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t use yet bought got griots brilliant finish synthetic clay and a fine nano skin sponge. For those looking at nano skin sponge.... it’s tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    .. For those looking at nano skin sponge.... it’s tiny.
    That`s probably a good thing. If I try to clay an area larger than a (very) few square inches, the risk of marring goes up exponentially.

The *SECOND* the clay (or, as best I can tell) a towel/sponge picks up some abrasive contamination it becomes sandpaper. While it shouldn`t be in direct contact with the paint, that`s "when everything goes right" which doesn`t always happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information