Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for both interior and top protection

I’d like to get some suggestions for interior fabric protection and convertible top surfaces? Please no CarPro or Gyeon, thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for both interior and top protection

Mi Hermano Miguel !
    When I lived those 11 years in the Pacific Northwest and Detailed at least 100+ convertibles, the best product I found was this -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/fabr...l#.XGjgMqKQH3g

To really clean a lot of mildew, etc., out of some of those tops, I finally found that first, pressure washing the convertible top, then spraying the Cleaner and brushing it in, then pressure washing it all off, then using my Mytee Extractor to rinse and extract it again, I got really clean, perfect, color results..
    Then dry it,, spray the conditioner over it a couple of times, and wow - it was brand new again and shed water for months or longer, depending on how the Client took care of the car..

As far as fabric protection, I don`t use anything for fear of putting chemicals in contact with little children, etc., who as we all know, like to lick and taste everything at a certain age..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Mi Hermano Miguel !
    When I lived those 11 years in the Pacific Northwest and Detailed at least 100+ convertibles, the best product I found was this -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/fabr...l#.XGjgMqKQH3g

To really clean a lot of mildew, etc., out of some of those tops, I finally found that first, pressure washing the convertible top, then spraying the Cleaner and brushing it in, then pressure washing it all off, then using my Mytee Extractor to rinse and extract it again, I got really clean, perfect, color results..
    Then dry it,, spray the conditioner over it a couple of times, and wow - it was brand new again and shed water for months or longer, depending on how the Client took care of the car..

As far as fabric protection, I don`t use anything for fear of putting chemicals in contact with little children, etc., who as we all know, like to lick and taste everything at a certain age..

Dan F
    I just ordered the Raggtopp brush and will use soon l. Read a lot about gtechnic fabric and AG has original at a great price (bought this instead of new as only diff I could find was it was kills 99% of bacteria and didn’t need for my top...maybe interior). You get 500ml for 25$. 38$ for new formula. Went with this over Raggtopp protectant as I’ve read more durable (up to a year). Saw it in the 10 or 20k detail video that was on here or AG a month ago. In video shedded water nice. Ordered griots convertible cleaner as griots makes awesome products and thought it was great value for 10$

Post Thanks / Like

I like Mr Raggtop cleaner and protector on cloth Type convertible tops. I have tried other brands and nothing is easier to apply correctly and lasts as long. Needs yearly application imho.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Gtechnic fabric works well for me. I couldn’t tell you about durability as it’s on my interior carpet but i have been told the durability is close to a year on convertible tops.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s great! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike:
    You beat me to the punch about asking for suggestions for fabric convertible top care!!!
    Since you are a Griot`s Garage product aficionado, I do not see anything that they offer specifically for fabric tops, hence I assume your request for suggestions.

One problem I have is the mold and mildew that seems to grow on fabric landau hard tops, like those on "grandpa`s" Cadillac or Lincoln or Buick, especially those that that are parked outside under trees or just not well taken care of. Short of bleach, the best cleaner I found was Spray Nine, but even that still did not remove some of the staining.

I do have the Ragg Top kit for fabric convertible tops that I bought at a thrift store for $4!! (Lucky find). It worked well on a late-model Mustang top that I detailed. One suggestion is to make sure the top is warm enough for the fabric protectant to "cure". I ended up using a hair dryer on it, as it was about 40°F in my garage (early December) when I applied it.

The other suggestions would be products that are used on fabric RV roll-up awnings. Amazing Roll-Off might be some thing you could check up on. Bio-Kleen is another brand that works well for RV and Boat fabrics.

I was hoping that someone would comment on the newer 303 fabric top kit. Having used their vinyl protectant for many years, I would think it would be a good product for fabric tops.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the 303 fabric protectant over the ragg top. 1 I hate aerosol spray, but even if it wasn`t I like the protection better from 303. I know a thread was made about salt removal from carpet, and mats . Since using 303 on those surfaces that cleanup has been easy .

oh and as said above either of those products need warm temperatures. The hotter and sunnier the better the results.

Post Thanks / Like

For Mold and Mildew, I swear by MoldSTAT Plus. Doesn`t bleach colors or otherwise do any damage, does genuinely work. It`s the same stuff a lot of Pro Mold Remediation guys use.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I owned three fabric topped 370Zs and the first protectant I used was the Raggtopp spray coating. While it worked, it was a pain since it was difficult to control the overspray. I tried blocking it off with cardboard and that worked to some extent. Swanicyouth suggested using 303 Fabric Protectant and “painting” it on with a foam brush. I tried this and never went back to anything else. You get even coverage with no extra cleanup or mess. You can use 303 Fabric Protectant on the interior too, just massage it into the carpet some to cover all the fibers.

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- How does the 303 Fabric Protectant "die off"? Cleanly? Any issues with reapplication?

Post Thanks / Like

Any issues with these fabric protectants causing off gassing on interior glass?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Mi Hermano Miguel !

Dan F
    Lol live in Washington. Their are a lot of us with drop tops hear in the NW.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Lol live in Washington. Their are a lot of us with drop tops hear in the NW.

Amigo !!!
    Yes !!! I have never seen so many Convertibles, as I did in Bellevue, WA, Seattle, and Issaquah, WA...

Heck, when I moved up there in 2002, it took me about 5 years to get used to the dreary, rainy, or in winter snowy weather...

Whenever there was a Nice Day, there they go - tops down, heater on full blast, heated steering wheel on, music on high.. Loved it !!!

I would still be there if the Ex had not blown up our marriage..
    DanF
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information