Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Is HD Speed the AIO standard?

Ok, the back story to this question is as follows.

I have never used a 1 step product. I get a couple weekends with the wife and children traveling on their own and I go through a vehicle a weekend. Friday at 5:30 to Sunday at about 5:00 in the evening. I typically polish and wax, occasionally use a compound to get an "issue" spot.

Well, I have figured out looking at a calendar that I will not be getting my weekends this year and will have to fit something else in. There for my mind went to AIO. I haven`t done a ton of research but I always see HD Speed in the discussion. I can assume that it is a good option.

There has to be other stuff out there and I am just not sure what direction to go.

I have a HF DA with white and yellow lake foam 5.5 pads.

I will be working on a silver metallic Ford Explorer and a maroon"ish" Ford F150 in case any one has found something that looks good with certain colors.

TIA.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is HD Speed the AIO standard?

It`ll provide a high gloss finish but the durability is not good.
    Likes Stokdgs, WaxAddict liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think an AIO would have the reverse effect on what you`re trying to accomplish. I learned my lesson using a different, but equally reputable AIO.

I too was faced with a similar situation and tried an AIO with the same assumptions. The AIO ended up only lasting about 6~8 weeks and I was faced with having to spend even more time on the vehicles to keep them protected...completely opposite of what I was trying to accomplish.

Moving to coatings actually provided me the best relief from the time constraints. While you still spend the same amount of prep and application time initially, they will least upwards of two years before you have to go through the process again. I scheduled out my family fleet to the point where rarely had to do more than one vehicle a year. If I needed to do two, I spread them out between spring and fall. Once the coating was applied, I simply kept the vehicle clean until it came up in the rotation again 18~24 months later.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    It`ll provide a high gloss finish but the durability is not good.
    I`ve only used the older version but had the same opinion. It lasts weeks. ZAIO is the one to beat for me. Cuts and cleans well and lasts months not weeks. If you want real durability just use a Polish and a durable LSP.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Screeby- I wouldn`t use that Yellow LC pad as IMO/IME it`s far too harsh and is likely to instill hazing that none of the AIOs I`ve ever used would remove.

Like Dan, I would go for ZAIO, but I always use some "real" polish (and usually a compound too) for any requisite correction as no AIO I`ve ever used has ever done correction for me (not on any paint, not at any time....never).

But I`d never use any AIO with any pad harsher than an Orange Light Cut pad.

And I *always* top any AIO with a "real" LSP to provide some degree of genuine protection and durability. IME, all AIOs are basically just "synthetic cleaner-waxes". Even some Spray Wax would help improve the durability, at least IME.

Note all the "IMO" and "IME" disclaimers in the above....YMMV.
    Likes Stokdgs, DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve tried several AIO`s....HD Speed, Meguiars D166, McKees 360 and Chemical Guys V4. V4 is the only one thats not on my shelf any more. For gloss and slickness, Speed wins easily. For correction capability and longevity, 360 is the choice. D166 falls between the other two in these categories. All three were easy to use, and I`d not hesitate to use any of them as applicable to the vehicle.
    Likes Stokdgs, DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand I will not get the longevity of protection with an AIO. I am not even asking it to provide a month of coverage.

I will not have the time to do a 2 or 3 step process. I am just a hobbiest, I am not a fast mover. With 2 young kids and a relatively busy schedule in the summer with vacations, weddings and camping when possible. I am just trying to get rid of wear and tear of the year. Not major correcting this year.

I will be washing the vehicles pretty regularly and will use a combo of OCW and Fast Finish. I used these this summer and into the fall and was happy. I will be using them within a month of using the AIO.

Again, I understand using a 2 or 3 step process will yield a better finish with longer results, I just know I won`t have the time. If I take a Saturday to do one vehicle, the other the next with the AIO. Then follow the following week or two when maintence washing and using FF, OCW or any other sealant out there right now. I will get a long ways...

I think...

Post Thanks / Like

screeby- In that situation, I think I`d just do a quickie with whatever AIO you choose and then maintain with a Spray Wax used as a Drying Aid. I`d try to figure out which AIO will do the best correction and go with that as it`ll shine things up best IMO (even if it doesn`t really *do* any correction to speak of).

That oughta work out just fine and IMO it`s great that you know how to prioritize stuff that really matters over the whole Detailing thing.
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Screeby- I wouldn`t use that Yellow LC pad as IMO/IME it`s far too harsh and is likely to instill hazing that none of the AIOs I`ve ever used would remove....

But I`d never use any AIO with any pad harsher than an Orange Light Cut pad.
    Good catch. I missed the pads.

I agree white or orange would be the best bet. I`ve never used anything other than white with an AIO. If the paint requires something as aggressive as an orange pad, I`m of the opinion things are well past what an AIO can do and I`m reaching for a polish or compound.

Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    I understand I will not get the longevity of protection with an AIO. I am not even asking it to provide a month of coverage.

I will not have the time to do a 2 or 3 step process. I am just a hobbiest, I am not a fast mover. With 2 young kids and a relatively busy schedule in the summer with vacations, weddings and camping when possible. I am just trying to get rid of wear and tear of the year. Not major correcting this year.

I will be washing the vehicles pretty regularly and will use a combo of OCW and Fast Finish. I used these this summer and into the fall and was happy. I will be using them within a month of using the AIO.

Again, I understand using a 2 or 3 step process will yield a better finish with longer results, I just know I won`t have the time. If I take a Saturday to do one vehicle, the other the next with the AIO. Then follow the following week or two when maintence washing and using FF, OCW or any other sealant out there right now. I will get a long ways...

I think...
    While an AIO/spray wax might be a good solution during milder weather, it probably won`t hold up well through the winter. The harsh conditions shorten the lifespan of any LSP and I`m not sure the spray products will hold up well at all. Also, many of those spray products are really hard to apply in cold conditions, even if you are able to get your vehicle clean to safely add a new LSP layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Just use your favorite polish and OCW then. It`ll outlast almost any AIO. Go back and LSP when you get time.

Topping AIOs just seems silly to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I agree white or orange would be the best bet. I`ve never used anything other than white with an AIO..
    The old Griot`s Orange, supposedly similar to the LC Hydrotech Tangerine (IIRC..), worked well with AIOs but yeah...even a "normal orange pad" is too harsh for me, but others seem to do OK with `em for stuff like this.

While an AIO/spray wax might be a good solution during milder weather, it probably won`t hold up well through the winter. The harsh conditions shorten the lifespan of any LSP and I`m not sure the spray products will hold up well at all..
    I`ve done OK for the last few years using OCW on my wife`s A8, which gets used all winter. I redo the OCW at most every wash though, using it as my Drying Aid. I never expected it to be so satisfactory, and I still toy with the idea of using a "real LSP" instead, but hey, it`s actually working fine so I keep talking myself out of "doing it right".

Also, many of those spray products are really hard to apply in cold conditions, even if you are able to get your vehicle clean to safely add a new LSP layer.
    Ah, Oh...didn`t think of that..spoiled by the heated shop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Just use your favorite polish and OCW then.
    Ah, my A8 regimen

..Topping AIOs just seems silly to me.
    Eh, we`re on different sides of that particular fence; I`ve been using FK1000P over ZAIO ever since I quit doing Collinite over KAIO or Autoglym SRP. Been topping AIOs since forever, like..I dunno...maybe 90% of the time. Come to think about it, I guess I use some sort of AIO (a broad category in my view, including stuff like the old 1Z Pro MP and WPS that I still use) as my Final Polish most of the time.

Oh man do those old 1Z products boost the appearance for me, ramp up what my Finish Polishes leave quite nicely, another thing I didn`t expect but will gladly take.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, Oh...didn`t think of that..spoiled by the heated shop
    The whole time I was reading your last post, I was thinking, "How does he do it?!" Then you provide this little nugget at the end. Lucky !@#(!*@#&....

My winter routine would be VASTY different if I had a heated space.

Post Thanks / Like

If OP wants a durable AIO, your best choices may also include McKee’s 360 (lasts up to 6-8 months, probably a little less in winter but not bad), or CarPro Essence if you also want top with SiO2 sprays. McKee’s might be the best option given your busy schedule.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, my A8 regimen

Eh, we`re on different sides of that particular fence; I`ve been using FK1000P over ZAIO ever since I quit doing Collinite over KAIO or Autoglym SRP. Been topping AIOs since forever, like..I dunno...maybe 90% of the time. Come to think about it, I guess I use some sort of AIO (a broad category in my view, including stuff like the old 1Z Pro MP and WPS that I still use) as my Final Polish most of the time.

Oh man do those old 1Z products boost the appearance for me, ramp up what my Finish Polishes leave quite nicely, another thing I didn`t expect but will gladly take.
    We`ve had lively discussions on this subject quite a few times! I`ve never had an AIO+Topper last longer than either product lasted on their own, in fact almost always they fall off sooner than the weakest product of the bunch. But you do bring up a good point, topping an AIO will certainly boost the appearance, most AIO`s lack in the gloss department.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information