Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is HD Speed the AIO standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    We`ve had lively discussions on this subject quite a few times!
    Yup, literally 10 years ago back when discussions were very entertaining heh

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Yeah, I`m very fortunate. I first rented a shop where I could run a heater back when I was still a teenager, never looked back. When we built this place, having HVAC/etc. in the Big New Garage was a given. If I had to do without it, I`d probably just lease something white and let the local "Pros" (scare-quotes definitely intentional) do their thing to it and I just wouldn`t care about the Detailing thing any more.

We`ve had lively discussions on this subject quite a few times! I`ve never had an AIO+Topper last longer than either product lasted on their own, in fact almost always they fall off sooner than the weakest product of the bunch. But you do bring up a good point, topping an AIO will certainly boost the appearance, most AIO`s lack in the gloss department.
    Yeah, a great example of the !YMMV! thing in action. I`ve simply never had an underlying product have any effect on the longevity of my LSP/topper *as long as they were compatible in the first place* (and there was only one case I can recall where they weren`t).

The "oh come on, that`s unbelievable!" level of durability I get out of FK1000P has usually been with it on top of products that wouldn`t last a month untopped. In the cases where I applied it over bare paint it didn`t last any longer at all.

I`ve had the underlying product dissipate (concealed marring reappeared) while the topper stayed 100% fine (so much so it was a PIA to polish through, ended up using a solvent).

Similarly, I`ve never had "contaminated" paint (i.e., unclayed/etc.) result in diminished LSP durability. Gee, I might clay once every four or five years, if that often, yet I`m [ticked] if the FK doesn`t last at least a year.

Weird, huh? I`ll just happily shrug and count my blessings The lesson for others is that you just never know until you try something...

EDIT: an example of a topper-on-AIO that we might all be able to agree about could be the Klasse twins. KAIO sure doesn`t last, but KAIO + (multiple coats of) KSG sure does. KSG on bare paint/plastic works OK, but no better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Yup, literally 10 years ago back when discussions were very entertaining heh
    That was around the time I started using the FK1000P after all those years with the Klasse twins and Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- Yeah, I`m very fortunate. I first rented a shop where I could run a heater back when I was still a teenager, never looked back. When we built this place, having HVAC/etc. in the Big New Garage was a given. If I had to do without it, I`d probably just lease something white and let the local "Pros" (scare-quotes definitely intentional) do their thing to it and I just wouldn`t care about the Detailing thing any more.

Yeah, a great example of the !YMMV! thing in action. I`ve simply never had an underlying product have any effect on the longevity of my LSP/topper *as long as they were compatible in the first place* (and there was only one case I can recall where they weren`t).

The "oh come on, that`s unbelievable!" level of durability I get out of FK1000P has usually been with it on top of products that wouldn`t last a month untopped. In the cases where I applied it over bare paint it didn`t last any longer at all.

I`ve had the underlying product dissipate (concealed marring reappeared) while the topper stayed 100% fine (so much so it was a PIA to polish through, ended up using a solvent).

Similarly, I`ve never had "contaminated" paint (i.e., unclayed/etc.) result in diminished LSP durability. Gee, I might clay once every four or five years, if that often, yet I`m [ticked] if the FK doesn`t last at least a year.

Weird, huh? I`ll just happily shrug and count my blessings The lesson for others is that you just never know until you try something...

EDIT: an example of a topper-on-AIO that we might all be able to agree about could be the Klasse twins. KAIO sure doesn`t last, but KAIO + (multiple coats of) KSG sure does. KSG on bare paint/plastic works OK, but no better.
    Accumulator, are all the cars in question parked indoors or is your experience the same with cars parked outdoors?

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, are all the cars in question parked indoors or is your experience the same with cars parked outdoors?
    Indoors. I haven`t parked anything outside for ages except for traveling and airport parking lots.

Back when I did park something outside 24/7, those vehicles wore Collinite and I usually redid them more often than they needed because I was, uhm...more into this stuff then. But the same "underlying products don`t matter" experience held true then too; the vehicles with glaze/etc. under the Collinite lasted just as long as those where it was applied over bare paint. That was also true of the vehicles I did for others back then, some of which were never garaged.

It was the same when I tried M16 with/without M05/03/07/etc. back in the day, and with more modern stuff later, always been like that for me. It was so consistent that I`ve simply never believed the Conventional Wisdom about prep/underlying stuff factoring in much.

But...No, I don`t think I`d get the kind of durability I enjoy if they were parked outside much, let alone left outdoors all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, In my head I was thinking I would get a long list of people saying go with HD Speed. In my internal thoughts I had McKees 360 and Megs AIO as options. I see two of you have said positive things on the McKees 360. I will probably go that route.

I do have a heated 2 stall attached garage. Living in the rust belt of NW Iowa where we see salt and pre treat used with regularity from sometimes mid November through March I don`t mind having something for an LSP on them.

I typically run them through the touchless wash and then either rinseless or waterless wash them. then I use either FF with QW as a drying aid or just OCW.

I will run over them with the 360 this summer.

Also, I have Orange and white pads. I think I "mispoke/typed" on that one. Sorry...

Thanks for all the answers fellas.

KM
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Indoors. I haven`t parked anything outside for ages except for traveling and airport parking lots.

Back when I did park something outside 24/7, those vehicles wore Collinite and I usually redid them more often than they needed because I was, uhm...more into this stuff then. But the same "underlying products don`t matter" experience held true then too; the vehicles with glaze/etc. under the Collinite lasted just as long as those where it was applied over bare paint. That was also true of the vehicles I did for others back then, some of which were never garaged.

It was the same when I tried M16 with/without M05/03/07/etc. back in the day, and with more modern stuff later, always been like that for me. It was so consistent that I`ve simply never believed the Conventional Wisdom about prep/underlying stuff factoring in much.

But...No, I don`t think I`d get the kind of durability I enjoy if they were parked outside much, let alone left outdoors all the time.
    I`ve even noticed a significant dropoff in durability since switching jobs. My last job I parked in a parking deck during the day, now that I`m parking 100% outdoors my durability took another hit!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- Yeah, where/how a vehicle gets parked can be a huge factor...just so many variables! Hey, maybe I wasn`t wasting my time doing all that Detailing back when we were teaching after all! No question the vehicles took an awful beating compared to how they fare now.

Heh heh, consider that for quite a while one of cars I parked outside at our previous house wore *Souveran* year-round! Sheesh, and it was even white...I must`ve been nuts

I am curious about the "underlying product/contamination factor". Given my (unexpected but welcome) experiences, I`ve become sorta cynical about the whole topic ("you gotta buy [whatever] from us for your wax to last, so spend spend spend!" and/or "you gotta be *serious* about this stuff and do lots of things or your paint will fail!"), but what with all those YMMV variables I just don`t know how it really plays out for others.

screeby- You may well find that just using the White pad gives you what you`re after.

FWIW, I`d be all about trying to get that salt/deicer stuff off the undercarriage and out of the various undercar nooks and crannies...don`t want a nice shiny car rusting from the inside out. Supposedly, that`s the downside of having a heated garage (though it`s not been a problem for me).

Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping that the undercarriage is getting some help by running it through the brushless that I have picked out. I have 3 or 4 in town to chose from and I think this one does the best as far as the undercarriage goes.

I have found the "soap" they use is for lack of a better term, HARSH. A far cry from my HyperWash. Anyways, I find myself using something after everywash. Usually try to get them both done on the weekends. Obviously being a father of two little girls under the age of 6 I fail at that "EVERY" weekend but I try. In the summer I obviously have more time to be outside and so forth. Example would be doing homework with the 1st grader...

Thanks again.

KM

Dan- Yeah, where/how a vehicle gets parked can be a huge factor...just so many variables! Hey, maybe I wasn`t wasting my time doing all that Detailing back when we were teaching after all! No question the vehicles took an awful beating compared to how they fare now.

Heh heh, consider that for quite a while one of cars I parked outside at our previous house wore *Souveran* year-round! Sheesh, and it was even white...I must`ve been nuts

I am curious about the "underlying product/contamination factor". Given my (unexpected but welcome) experiences, I`ve become sorta cynical about the whole topic ("you gotta buy [whatever] from us for your wax to last, so spend spend spend!" and/or "you gotta be *serious* about this stuff and do lots of things or your paint will fail!"), but what with all those YMMV variables I just don`t know how it really plays out for others.

screeby- You may well find that just using the White pad gives you what you`re after.

FWIW, I`d be all about trying to get that salt/deicer stuff off the undercarriage and out of the various undercar nooks and crannies...don`t want a nice shiny car rusting from the inside out. Supposedly, that`s the downside of having a heated garage (though it`s not been a problem for me).

Post Thanks / Like

screeby- Hopefully the harsh shampoo also means their undercarriage-cleaning stuff is doing the job.

The time you spend with your girls will matter a lot more than any of this Detailing stuff
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, my A8 regimen

Eh, we`re on different sides of that particular fence; I`ve been using FK1000P over ZAIO ever since I quit doing Collinite over KAIO or Autoglym SRP. Been topping AIOs since forever, like..I dunno...maybe 90% of the time. Come to think about it, I guess I use some sort of AIO (a broad category in my view, including stuff like the old 1Z Pro MP and WPS that I still use) as my Final Polish most of the time.

Oh man do those old 1Z products boost the appearance for me, ramp up what my Finish Polishes leave quite nicely, another thing I didn`t expect but will gladly take.
    as far as topping Zaio with 1000, do you give it Time to cure? Ever have any issues??
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Protected by 303 Graphene

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imported_OneQuickGT1 View Post
    as far as topping Zaio with 1000, do you give it Time to cure? Ever have any issues??
    I`ve done it both ways...by the time I ZAIO something the size of the Tahoe/Crown Vic I`ve usually had enough (I do all the jambs/etc., basically all the painted surfaces on the whole vehicle).

But when I did *NOT* wait for the ZAIO to cure I never noticed any problems. It was never a case of the ZAIO getting solvent-actioned to the point where it caused smearing or anything like that.

With some other underlying products that leave fillers/etc. behind I do wait a day or so, but generally *not* with the AIOs I use (ZAIO,KAIO, Autoglym SRP), so I wouldn`t expect any problems but should probably add that "YMMV!" disclaimer just because I guess you never know.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia! Tough to keep vehicles nice in the Windy City this time of year, huh?!?

Post Thanks / Like

If time allows I top AIO as well. Just finished using megs D151 PRC and it did a great job. The cut is up there for an AIO but longevity is 2-4 weeks. I topped with Natty’s paste wax in the red variety.

I’ve used D166 and man is it easy to use. Can let it sit and wipe whole car when done. Makes it easy to see where you’ve been to.

HDSPEED I wasn’t a fan of. Didn’t really correct anything. It’s more of a make it shiney and slick product. It’s plus is you can use in direct sun and you won’t hate life.

Need to try 360 and BF AIO as well. Just need a vehicle to try.

I topped the HDSpeed with Megs UFF and the D166 got topped with it as well. Been 4 months on the d166 and water still sheets off the truck, all be it slow but it does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    ... Just finished using megs D151 PRC and it did a great job. The cut is up there for an AIO ...
    I appreciate that comment on its level of cut, since I never seemed to get any out of the AIOs I`ve used.

Post Thanks / Like

I did use an orange LC flat, orange LC thinpro, orange boss for the boss 21. The boss pad is softer and less cut than the LC in my opinion. Somewhere there was a chart here that had a lot of AIO on it that listed the cut and I think the gloss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information