Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is HD Speed the AIO standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    KAIO is fine on both plastic and rubber trim...
    I think this depends on the plastic. I used it on the smooth plastic trim around the side mirrors on our Mazda3 and an older Subaru, and it left the plastic looking faded smeared. Nothing I tried was ever able to remove it or get it looking normal again. Over time, the smeary/blotchy appearance when away, but the trim was never again as dark as before the KAIO was applied. From then on I was always VERY careful to keep the stuff away from trim.

Those two cars may have been isolated cases, but I wasn`t willing to experiment again and I eventually moved on to 845 which demoted the Klasse Twins to wheel protection duty.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, well now this is a question I hadn`t thought of. Now I am going to be waiting for the McKee`s 360 crowd to chime in as that is the direction I had told myself I was going to go in.

In fairness, I am not sure "trim friendliness" will deter me from using it but it will make me pause in my thought. It would probably close the gap between that and HD Speed in my mind but again, I am not sure it will be enough to move spots.

Are the AIOs being discussed trim-friendly?

KAIO is fine on both plastic and rubber trim, but my ZAIO not so much and Autoglym SRP needs to be kept off anything rubber and even some plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

Screeby- Yeah, it`s just one more thing to consider. I do like my SRP even though it *MUST* be kept off trim, but with other products that I don`t like as well it was a deal-breaker.

DsesertNate- Hey, that`s surprising/interesting/worth noting! I`ll throw in a YMMV! disclaimer from now on. It just never occurred to me since, well...it never happened to me over the decades I`ve been doing it. On my Mazdas and Subarus it worked fine, but those were mine and I oughta be careful about those generalizations

I assume you didn`t let it dry but, rather, buffed it off while still wet. I consider that mandatory when using "stuff made for paint" on trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think this depends on the plastic. I used it on the smooth plastic trim around the side mirrors on our Mazda3 and an older Subaru, and it left the plastic looking faded smeared. Nothing I tried was ever able to remove it or get it looking normal again. Over time, the smeary/blotchy appearance when away, but the trim was never again as dark as before the KAIO was applied. From then on I was always VERY careful to keep the stuff away from trim.

Those two cars may have been isolated cases, but I wasn`t willing to experiment again and I eventually moved on to 845 which demoted the Klasse Twins to wheel protection duty.
    That`s interesting, KAIO is actually my go-to for trim cleanup! I don`t use it on dried out rubber, but on anything else, I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    .. I don`t use [KAIO] on dried out rubber, but on anything else, I love it.
    Ah, why not on the dried out rubber? I do use other stuff first, but have often finished up with KAIO. (No, the petroleum distillates/whatever in it didn`t cause any issues.)

BTW, I`ve found KAIO plays nice with subsequently applied Ultima TTG+. That stuff isn`t as finicky about having a bare surface as I`d expected.

Post Thanks / Like

DsesertNate- Hey, that`s surprising/interesting/worth noting! I`ll throw in a YMMV! disclaimer from now on. It just never occurred to me since, well...it never happened to me over the decades I`ve been doing it. On my Mazdas and Subarus it worked fine, but those were mine and I oughta be careful about those generalizations

I assume you didn`t let it dry but, rather, buffed it off while still wet. I consider that mandatory when using "stuff made for paint" on trim.
    I always wiped on KAIO and immediatly buffed it out, regardless of whether it was the trim or the paint. SG on paint would sit for a while.

The interesting thing for me was it only seemed to damage those areas around the mirror on those two cars. Other trim areas on those cars were OK and other vehicles like a BMW had no issues at all. There was something about the plastic on that part for `99 Outback and a 2010 Mazda3 which the KAIO seemed to chemically etch or otherwise damage.

Since that experience I don`t put any LSP on trim. Any slips or mistakes get removed ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

DesertNate- Ah, OK...and I guess it`s no surprise that your Subie and Mazda were both newer than mine were, I`ll start adding that YMMV disclaimer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, why not on the dried out rubber? I do use other stuff first, but have often finished up with KAIO. (No, the petroleum distillates/whatever in it didn`t cause any issues.)

BTW, I`ve found KAIO plays nice with subsequently applied Ultima TTG+. That stuff isn`t as finicky about having a bare surface as I`d expected.
    Just seems to get stuck in dried out rubber, and by dried out, I mean cracked.

Post Thanks / Like

Screeby- I wouldn`t use that Yellow LC pad as IMO/IME it`s far too harsh and is likely to instill hazing that none of the AIOs I`ve ever used would remove.

Like Dan, I would go for ZAIO, but I always use some "real" polish (and usually a compound too) for any requisite correction as no AIO I`ve ever used has ever done correction for me (not on any paint, not at any time....never).

But I`d never use any AIO with any pad harsher than an Orange Light Cut pad.

And I *always* top any AIO with a "real" LSP to provide some degree of genuine protection and durability. IME, all AIOs are basically just "synthetic cleaner-waxes". Even some Spray Wax would help improve the durability, at least IME.

Note all the "IMO" and "IME" disclaimers in the above....YMMV.

I take it you have never used Menzerna 3-in-1?

To all, I know that Menzerna 3-in-1 does not leave a very durable finish behind, but why haven`t any of you guys talked about it. Menz 3-in-1 does a fantastic job on cutting, glossing, and waxing. Between Griots Finishing Sealant, Drive Auto Appearance Victory Nano P&S, Uber AIO, Poorboys Polish with Sealant, if one of the lesser aggressive AIO`s literally aren`t cutting it or are cutting too much I can count on Menz to do exactly what I need it to do, Cut and finish out flawlessly.
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Just seems to get stuck in dried out rubber, and by dried out, I mean cracked.
    Ah, OK, maybe that`s the Big Factor. I`ve never tried it on anything that [messed] up and I always used something else to do the heavy lifting on the trim that was really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I take it you have never used Menzerna 3-in-1?.. if one of the lesser aggressive AIO`s literally aren`t cutting it or are cutting too much I can count on Menz to do exactly what I need it to do, Cut and finish out flawlessly.
    You`re right, I never tried that one. I gotta admit that I knee-jerk against anything Menzerna after my (very limited) experiences with it and the way their products did such terrible stuff to my vehicles in the hands of others (including people who oughta know what they`re doing including a fellow Autopian).

No, no that`s not fair and I admit it But when something`s not idiot-proof I wonder how Accumulator-proof it might be and just use something that`s gonna work OK for me. And/but then I say "no cut!" as if it`s a criticism!

If I somehow use up everything I have (which I honestly don`t see happening this lifetime) I`ll put that Menzerna 3-in-1 on the short-list, thanks for suggesting it.

Post Thanks / Like

You`re right, I never tried that one. I gotta admit that I knee-jerk against anything Menzerna after my (very limited) experiences with it and the way their products did such terrible stuff to my vehicles in the hands of others (including people who oughta know what they`re doing including a fellow Autopian).

No, no that`s not fair and I admit it But when something`s not idiot-proof I wonder how Accumulator-proof it might be and just use something that`s gonna work OK for me. And/but then I say "no cut!" as if it`s a criticism!

If I somehow use up everything I have (which I honestly don`t see happening this lifetime) I`ll put that Menzerna 3-in-1 on the short-list, thanks for suggesting it.
    If I remember correctly there was a time when Menzerna was going through a few changes and they may have impacted your experience to some degree. I have only used 3 in 1 and SFP3800, both were absolute dreams to work with. SFP3800 works particularly well on my Lexus paint.

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen- As with lots of other products, the oils in the Menzerna stuff were a big factor for me, and I generally just don`t use diminishing abrasives these days (have loads of stuff like 1Z High Gloss if I want to).

FWIW, it was the PO106 family that I utterly despised, and their, uhm...3500 (IIRC) that was used to ruin a fender of my Jag. I had the PO85rd, but the "how to use" suggestions sounded like torture to me so I sold it to a fellow Autopian with no regrets.

Eh, just me...sure nothing wrong with Menzerna stuff.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information