Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you could start all over from the beginning.

We use BC08, BC04,BC06, EPC, and LPS and have installed Paul Dalton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Don`t have a lot of PA products. They are pricey unfortuneally. Esclate Lotion and Master Sealant and High Gloss and Supersport Wheel Coating is those I have. High Gloss is what I have used so far on a test panel. If I would have a garage queen and could put in the money on awesome products. I would not hesitate to buy more from Polish Angel. Looks wise I have not heard any negative about or the ease of use. Think it`s the Sprayduster that they have had real problems with but the new version seems ok. Then it`s the claimed longevity of pretty much every LSP product that is far from the claimed ones. But there it can be much user errors I think and wrong descriptions of the application of them.
    Well you certainly know a lot about PA products (and others) and I thank you for always sharing!
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning:
    Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner
    Nextzett Windshield Cleaner
    Meguires APC
    McKees 914
    CarPro ECH2O
    CarPro Reset
    CarPro Iron-X
    Britemax Degreaser

Protection:
    Coating (so far I don’t have a favorite)
    Mothers CMX (it’s still early, but so far so good)
    ECH2O mixed with CMX
    Nexrzett Trim Protectant
    CarPro Perl
    Solution Finish

Correction
    Menzerma 400 and 3500

Probably left out something, but I believe I could bring just about any vehicle back from the dead with these supplies (and lots of pads and microfibers).
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Starting over would surely reduce a lot of clutter in my garage.

Cleaning:
    Optimum Car Wash
    Carpro Ech2O
    McKee`s 37 Interior Protectant
    Griots Wheel Cleaner or Poorboys Acid Free Wheel Cleaner
    Poorboys APC
    Poorboys Bug Squash
    Sprayway glass cleaner
    Carpro Eraser or Gyeon Prep

Protection
    CQuartz UK

My leather cleaner isn`t made any more, so I need to find something new....

Post Thanks / Like

I would have gotten into paint correction and protection at a younger age. It is fun and rewarding, but until about 2000, I always had company cars and got new ones every 60k miles. They even told me to take it weekly to the tunnel swirl maker wash.

Other then that, I would have taken 3 years off after college and become a roadie for the Grateful Dead, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I call shenanigans. That’s kinda how I recently started... lol... I got gallons of stuff I don’t know how I’m ever gonna use.
    Ha ha, I still have stuff that I bought in the first years after joining here that I`m still working on, and I joined in 2004. But to the OP`s question...if I could start over from the beginning, maybe I wouldn`t even start.

But if I did, I`d keep it simple, some ONR or DG rinseless, some Opti-Bond or one of the tire coatings, some DG or Optimum conventional wash, some OPC or Tuf Shine tire cleaner, and Opti-Seal or one of the other WOWA sealants, and some Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant and Meg`s QID for the interior. And maybe some AquaWax or OCW. Oh, and if I needed something for bird bombs, maybe some UWW. Somehow that didn`t turn out that simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Just let the rain wash my car, keep em filthy and save a tons of money lol.

If I had to start over I would keep it super simple as well and probably just grab some OTC products from Walmart/ Autozone and be done with it. Too late now.
    Likes minerigger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

glfnaz- Well, consider that my late father didn`t wash his own car until he was 70 and didn`t run a polisher (he liked my Cyclos ) for years after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    ...if I could start over from the beginning, maybe I wouldn`t even start.
    -AND-

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail
    Just let the rain wash my car, keep em filthy and save a tons of money lol...
    I`m assuming you guys are being facetious, but still....

We do put an awful lot into this whole thing. I *assume* everybody who keeps his vehicle nicely detailed keeps everything else in his life to the same standard.

I do wonder whether we`d do it if given the option of having it done for us...I lean towards the "pick up your own brass; clean your own gun" approach to life, but...I don`t really have options if I want my vehicles the way I want them, simply gotta DIY it. If I could be happy leasing something new I might indeed just Not Care- just do the tunnel wash and when it`s too marred up, get a new one. Guess it`d be pricey buying winter tires every other year or three, but I wouldn`t have needed to build my current shop either.

FWIW, none of the genuinely "successful" (i.e., "status" and/or "money-based success", the validity of which are a whole `nother topic...) people I know IRL give one moment`s thought to stuff like Detailing, and those are still people who drive themselves as opposed to having drivers/etc. to take care of stuff like that. I`ve spoken with guys who maintain some of the Big Private Collections, and those who write the checks sure don`t spend any time/effort/thought on such stuff either; they pay their minions to deal with that just like the housekeeping. They "just use their stuff" while paying others to take care of it for them. Just mentioning it for, uhm...Perspective. We sometimes flame people who don`t keep their vehicle nice, but the Pros here kinda rely on that for their livelihoods.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thought.

While I too believe in self responsibility and doing things yourself where able, that isn`t why I got into detailing. From an early age, I was taught to take care of my possessions and keep them nice and functional as long as possible because there wasn`t enough money to simply let them fall into disrepair and be cast aside. While the theory applied to clothes, shoes, and other household items when I was younger, it came into it`s own when I bought my first car. It was by far the most expensive personal item I owned. I knew I needed to keep it in top shape while showing pride in ownership, so I religiously washed and waxed it (with Dawn and NuFinish). The same mindset applies today despite having more cars and using far better products.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Interesting thought.

While I too believe in self responsibility and doing things yourself where able, that isn`t why I got into detailing. From an early age, I was taught to take care of my possessions and keep them nice and functional as long as possible ...
    That`s how I was raised too, keeping one`s stuff in good shape was part of the whole Personal Responsibility thing.

The Japanese have a term for it that I can`t quite remember, part of "honoring your stuff".
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Confucius - “To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.”

Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the washing/topping weekly routine. tried to pay someone to correct and coat but both had no salesmanship or customer service (important to me). All you guys who are pro’s if someone lowballs you or asks for a discount, no is absolutely OK. What’s not is not explaining the why. The quality of YOUR work. The Time it actually takes, the quality of materials. The horribleness of ones car and all proper steps to do right. If either of them had the sales/customer service part of their job down. Both coulda had my $1200. Now Autogeek got it and you guys gotta read my rants. If you could start all over from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I enjoy the washing/topping weekly routine...
    Heh heh, you crazy Autopian you Just kidding, I enjoyed it for decades myself.

.. tried to pay someone to correct and coat but both had no salesmanship or customer service (important to me). ... If either of them had the sales/customer service part of their job down. Both coulda had my $1200..
    I`d see that as a red flag, like...maybe they didn`t really know enough to explain themselves.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will give a happier picture to the new detailers out there: If I had to start all over, I don’t think I would change a thing. I’ve only been at the Autopian level for a few years now, but I’ve enjoyed the ride. Trying tons of new products, deciding what I like/don’t like about each, making my own pros/cons observations, coming up with combos for different seasons, I’ve loved it all.

The stress release I get after a busy day or week of work, parenting, house chores, pleasing others... being able to go to my garage and try to make something look as good as I want to make it without worrying about anything else, it’s been a great experience. And the best part is: I still have sooo much more of my own stuff to try.

ive spent way too much money on this stuff, but I’m OK with that for the satisfaction I’ve gained in return. I work hard to make money at work. My money has gone to so many places at the requests of other people. I used to spend so much $ on going out and having fun. Now I’ve changed things up and this is how I want to spend my recreational income.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I did the start over a couple years ago.

On my initial purge, I gave away the bulk of stuff that I did not use.
    The following spring season, I re-editied my list again. Kept all my primaries. Kept the specialty stuff that I use for XYZ applications. The rest got purged

I have not bought alot of supplies the last couple years, but have bought some standouts just to try and see if it replaces/supplements my top-tier list. If a product replaces a top tier, then it get`s put into *2nd place* and after awhile, if I don`t use it, it get`s purged.

I dunno. I consider it either simplying/decluttering my ways of detailing I suppose
    I just went back to a quick excel sheet of towels I put away that are brand new extras
    Scary how much *stuff* I did a c c u m u l ate

"8 Crazy Pile
    1 Dry Me Crazy

15 Everest 1100 Towels
    15 Everest 800 Towels
    26 Orange Eagle Edgeless
    16 Blue Eagle Edgeless
    5 Glass Towels
    3 DP Monster
    4 Griots PFM Wax Towel
    4 Large Eagles Drying 20x40
    4 Griots PFM Drying 2x3` "

- For your wiki, this is what spurned my purge. A couple of polishes (1Z Tin Cans), the solvent had evaporated out of it (proper storage). From there, I was like, why let these unused products sit around wasting when someone else may use them/enjoy them .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information