Post Thanks / Like

Question Megs Super Degreaser on Exterior Paint?

Hi Folks

I`m wondering if anyone uses Mequiar`s Super Degreaser as a pre-wash for getting rid of road grime etc.? Thanks.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Megs Super Degreaser on Exterior Paint?

Quote Originally Posted by superstring View Post
    Hi Folks

I`m wondering if anyone uses Mequiar`s Super Degreaser as a pre-wash for getting rid of road grime etc.? Thanks.
    Yes, with caution, hundreds of times.. I have never hurt paintwork with it.. I always dilute it with water..
    I will spray the paint down, let it sit a few minutes, and pressure wash it all off.. Then come back and wash the car by hand to get everything perfect and have time to really look it over as I work on it...

It works really fast and was my preferred product to remove all the mold and little trees growing in the tail lights, body seams, trunk jambs, etc., of neglected vehicles I Detailed in the Pacific Northwest..

It also worked very well in those sometimes dirty, nasty, gas filler areas and behind the gas filler door...

My go to product to really clean up an engine compartment; spray on a COLD or slightly warm engine, let it sit a few minutes, rinse with a pressure washer and voila ! Beautifully clean engine and compartment, fender wells, underhood (keep off of the insulation), hood jambs, radiator, all the metal up front, etc... Leaves that huge area perfectly ready to receive whatever spray dressing you want to apply on the entire shebang when its all dry...

Be sure to dilute it properly with water.. I just sprayed it on from a 32oz Meguiars plastic bottle..
    Dan F
    Likes VitreousHumor, asudchiman liked this post
    Thanks VitreousHumor, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dan, good info!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, what dilution ratio do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, what dilution ratio do you use?
    Superstring ---

Using the tall plastic 32oz, Meguiars bottle here -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/megu...l#.XDV0TFWQH3g

I use Super Degreaser at 10:1 = 3.25oz of product, to 32 oz of water for light degreasing,
    And Super Degreaser at 4:1 = 7 oz of product, to 32 oz of water for heavier degreasing..

I have never had to use it any stronger...
    I like that it is easy to use, low foaming, and rinses quickly and leaves no residue..

For sure, what makes this more effective is the pressure washer to rinse and remove a lot of gunk off quickly..

Depending on what kind of driveway you are using it on, you may need to watch out if its asphalt, I imagine.. It might be good to rinse off the area underneath the vehicle, etc., if you used a lot of it..

This product will remove all the oils off your hands pretty quick, so I always wear nitrile or rubber gloves.. Don`t get it in your eyes...

Dan F
    Thanks Tc99m, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Again thanks, Dan! Great info. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

This was very helpful. I am about to start a new blog/YouTube series trying to bring back a 1985 Jeep that has been sitting for the past 14 years. It has a ton of growth on it. I will give the MSD a try and hope it helps loosen up all of the gunk.
    Hi Folks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asudchiman View Post
    This was very helpful. I am about to start a new blog/YouTube series trying to bring back a 1985 Jeep that has been sitting for the past 14 years. It has a ton of growth on it. I will give the MSD a try and hope it helps loosen up all of the gunk.
    Asudchiman - Welcome to the Forum !
    Hope you enjoy your time here..

Wow, a Jeep sitting for 14 years !
    If you live anywhere near the Pacific Northwest, I can really imagine what it would look like..

Meguiars Super Degreaser works great but even better with a good pressure wash after the application has been applied, rubbed in, etc., and left for a little bit..
    Stuff goes flying, so be careful, and if it`s a lot of mold growth, etc., it would always be good to have a 3M Osha particulate mask on so you don`t inhale any of that mold..
    This is one mask that I have used a lot especially all last year because of the huge fires about 100 miles from me.. https://www.amazon.com/3M-8511PB1-Pa...ords=3m+cool+f

Some of those little trees may actually be embedded a bit into the areas, so they may need a little more work, sometimes..

When you get this project on your Blog, we would all be happy to see it if you want to let us know, with a link..

Good Luck !
    Dan F

Thread Information