Post Thanks / Like

How do you set up a pump to supply distilled water to a pressure washer.

I want to replace my ailing pressure washer with a new Sun Joe SPX 1501. I want to set up a low volume pump to siphon water from a 5 gallon bucket filled with distilled water.
    I assume that most pressure washers require 40 to 60 PSI pressure. This is the normal pressure of city water.

I want to set up a low volume pump to supply this pressure to the pressure washer in the form of distilled water. I plan to put a gate valve in line with a pressure meter so I can govern how much pressure is going to the pressure washer.

Have any of you attempted this or done it or have any ideas on what pump I could use to do this? I`m open to all suggestions.

I feel this would be easier than using DI filters with all the hose connections. I can buy distilled water for 65 cents a gallon or less.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you set up a pump to supply distilled water to a pressure washer.

My city water is closer to 20 psi last I measured. Finding a submersible pump to do this would be fairly easy any fish supply one will have one. The issue will be flow rate, you will empty a five gallon bucket very quickly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formernuke View Post
    My city water is closer to 20 psi last I measured. Finding a submersible pump to do this would be fairly easy any fish supply one will have one. The issue will be flow rate, you will empty a five gallon bucket very quickly.

Thanks formernuke for the info.

I could get a low flow rate pump say 80 GPH or lower with adjustable flow rate and a bypass. The bypass should protect the pump when I release the trigger on the spray wand that is attached to the pressure washer. I would still use the gate valve and pressure gauge to protect the pressure washer. I only use the distilled water for rinsing. I use McKees SiO2 soap and I wash the entire car before rinsing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would start with a stop watch, a bucket and an assistant. Put a instant on off nozzle on your hose or kink it etc.

Have your assistant start the stop watch and time how long it takes to fill a five gallon bucket. That gives you your flow rate. Buy a submersible pump that matches that flow rate at the top of your bucket height.

As I said be prepared to get very little time with the bucket.

Let us know how you make out.

Post Thanks / Like

Formernuke,

Shouldn`t you be able to control DI water usage with the pressure washer wand.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes if your wand has an adjustable trigger, mine is more just on off.

If it were me I would just use

https://www.worx.com/hydroshot-porta...ner-wg629.html

Or a paint sprayer

Post Thanks / Like

I am familiar with the Hydro Shot. I wanted something with more pressure. The paint sprayer sounds interesting for rinse only

Post Thanks / Like

I used empty 5 gallon jugs from Meguiars and took out the spout and replaced with a hose and gravity to feed a low volume Karcher. I was using this set up to spray down cars before a touchless wash. I could rinse off two cars so figure roughly 2.5 gallons per car with that set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I used empty 5 gallon jugs from Meguiars and took out the spout and replaced with a hose and gravity to feed a low volume Karcher. I was using this set up to spray down cars before a touchless wash. I could rinse off two cars so figure roughly 2.5 gallons per car with that set up.
    Bert,
    What size hose are you inserting into the 5 gallon container or you using a garden hose? if you invert the 5 gallon container how do you keep the hose from leaking? It would help me visualize your setup if you could please post some pictures of your setup.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kajunman View Post
    Bert,
    What size hose are you inserting into the 5 gallon container or you using a garden hose? if you invert the 5 gallon container how do you keep the hose from leaking? It would help me visualize your setup if you could please post some pictures of your setup.

Thanks in advance

The male end of a regular garden hose fits where the spigot is normally used. The larger the hose the better so sufficient amount of water goes to the pressure washer. You may have to use an adapter because I assume your pressure washer needs the male end also.

With the 5 gallon jug open end pointed up so water doesn`t drain, screw in hose and then take other end of hose to pressure washer and attach to pressure washer. Lift 5 gallon jug to highest surface possible so gravity will feed the pressure washer and water drains through hose to pressure washer. Don`t forget to open air vent of the jug to assist flow and with the pressure washer turned off, squeeze pistol till water starts to dribble out and of sprayer. When water drips out, pressure washer is primed and ready to turn on.

I cannot emphasize enough use a low gallons per minute pressure washer. If your pressure washer gpm is too high, water will not reach it fast enough. I use the lowest gpm karcher. Even with that pressure washer, I get a hesitation every once in a while but not enough to make me not use this system. If I regularly did not have access to a home or business water supply, I would buy an on demand pump but for the few times I need it, this system is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

The male end of a regular garden hose fits where the spigot is normally used. The larger the hose the better so sufficient amount of water goes to the pressure washer. You may have to use an adapter because I assume your pressure washer needs the male end also.

With the 5 gallon jug open end pointed up so water doesn`t drain, screw in hose and then take other end of hose to pressure washer and attach to pressure washer. Lift 5 gallon jug to highest surface possible so gravity will feed the pressure washer and water drains through hose to pressure washer. Don`t forget to open air vent of the jug to assist flow and with the pressure washer turned off, squeeze pistol till water starts to dribble out and of sprayer. When water drips out, pressure washer is primed and ready to turn on.

I cannot emphasize enough use a low gallons per minute pressure washer. If your pressure washer gpm is too high, water will not reach it fast enough. I use the lowest gpm karcher. Even with that pressure washer, I get a hesitation every once in a while but not enough to make me not use this system. If I regularly did not have access to a home or business water supply, I would buy an on demand pump but for the few times I need it, this system is fine.
    Thanks for the info.
    N

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kajunman View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    N
    As I said above, this system does work but getting an on demand pump would make it even better. I`m just not sure what type would be best. Welcome any recommendations from anyone reading this.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said above, this system does work but getting an on demand pump would make it even better. I`m just not sure what type would be best. Welcome any recommendations from anyone reading this.
    I had already decided to get an on demand pump. Once I get it set up I will post pics with part numbers of pump and power supply.

Thread Information