Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Megs hybrid ceramic wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Wonder if "Ceramic" will become the next "Teflon"
    Ceramic or SiO2 has become the new Teflon type(hype?) buzzword. I’ve yet to figure out how less than 5% SiO2 really does much of anything. I still think the polymers matter much more. I can understand it in coatings, but not in a spray topper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Ok so it needs to be buffed on for the first coat, then sprayed on for the next coat/layer and it does not hold up to a degreaser. Well at least it’s cheap and sheets instead of beads. Really can’t say I’m running out to buy this product. I can see Megs discontinuing this one fairly quickly as it is not easier than applying a wax. If it was just a spray and rinse like Hydro2 it would do better, imho. Any side by side product comparison videos out yet?
    I should have a video released soon(not today) of the test above with all the other spray and rinses. It doesn’t seem like it needs a lot of wiping in on the first pass for HCW to really perform as long as the paint’s in decent shape but the difference is night and day, this absolutely needs to be applied with some physical pressure with a towel or applicator pad on the first use. Could have something to do with them trying to avoid the streaking nightmares a lot of people have seen from the other spray and rinse products, but it opens the door for another over the counter company to release something that performs much better completely touchless from the start if they can avoid streaking issues.

My test yesterday with the pressure washer gave me some insane beading out of HCW after applied and wiped in wet compared to what I got out of my first video, it matched BSD level hydrophobicity - so this inconsistency is a problem for me and I’m trying to narrow it down if the pressure washer is necessary to get the best performance.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000, SWETM, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I should have a video released soon(not today) of the test above with all the other spray and rinses. It doesn’t seem like it needs a lot of wiping in on the first pass for HCW to really perform as long as the paint’s in decent shape but the difference is night and day, this absolutely needs to be applied with some physical pressure with a towel or applicator pad on the first use. Could have something to do with them trying to avoid the streaking nightmares a lot of people have seen from the other spray and rinse products, but it opens the door for another over the counter company to release something that performs much better completely touchless from the start if they can avoid streaking issues.

My test yesterday with the pressure washer gave me some insane beading out of HCW after applied and wiped in wet compared to what I got out of my first video, it matched BSD level hydrophobicity - so this inconsistency is a problem for me and I’m trying to narrow it down if the pressure washer is necessary to get the best performance.
    Could it be batch problems of a new product? If you are getting BSD levels of beading and others are getting 0 beading as in the videos something somewhere has to be seriously wrong. I haven’t been over to MOL but are they aware of the disparity in beading videos circulating? Bad reviews can kill a product out of the gate and based on the videos I’ve seen I would not use it as is. You can tell from the videos the users are a little shocked by the lack of beading. No one wants to say a product is bad, it’s much more fun to pump up a good product. Looking forward to your video.

Post Thanks / Like

After more testing, you can use this purely as a spray and rinse on a panel from the start but it doesn’t want to be loaded with water. So after building that slow hydrophilic water sheet with Meguiar’s Wash Plus, if you spray HCW on top of this sheet of water it will not bond anywhere near as effectively on the rinse, it doesn’t penetrate through like Sonax. Instead, dry the water sheet off and then spray this on dry, then rinse without wiping in and the bond is much more effective compared to a fully wet panel. I tried to hammer HCW with Klean Strip Prep-All and after two heavy wipedowns it knocked down the aggressive beading (not hydrophilic), sprayed HCW back on top when wet and rinsed with water without wiping and the performance was back to top notch. This tells me it’s a capable spray and rinse under certain conditions.

Meguiar’s instructions are pretty spot on, they recognize the potential lack in performance for the product to bond effectively if used as a spray and rinse on the first go around, additional uses once the strong base is on the paint is very acceptable as a spray and rinse. Applying and wiping in dry and then rinsing, or applying after most of the water has been sheeted off the paint and then used as a drying aid, is the best way to get the first initial bond.

The more I use this stuff the more I like it, I love that it has a higher hydrophobic potential compared to every other spray and rinse, it’s definitely the most aggressive beading and fastest sheeting LSP in Meguiar’s lineup. Some weaknesses to note but it’s a capable spray and rinse, and an exceptional wipe in wet sealer that can be done quickly, that happens to also be usable as a fully spray on wipe in dry product unlike Sonax. Just need to document pure durability now.
    Likes VitreousHumor, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Diner, The Guz, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Markus of Meguiar`s posted this on one of Apex Detailing`s video.

Markus Kleis, Meguiar`s Professional Product Manager here, thought I would comment and add a little clarity for the folks who love to know the intricate details about products. First, thanks to Brian from @apex detail for taking the time to put this video together - very cool!

Since this product is VERY new (only been available for a few weeks), and is very unique compared to not only the rest of our lineup or products, but also unique compared to other "similarly applied" products, I thought it would be good to add a few tidbits of background info. For one, although we call the product "Hybrid Ceramic Wax," this product is actually a sealant infused with an extremely high level of sio2-based material. We call it a "hybrid wax" because in the consumer market "wax" resonates with more people, but we used "hybrid" to clarify that it is a blend and not to be compared with a traditionally applied ceramic coating.

Speaking of the application method, I would like to add that if you look closely at the rear label it actually calls for a "wax as you dry" application method for the first use to establish a solid base coat, and then the "spray on, rinse off" method can be used for subsequent coats. This product layers exceptionally well, both with itself and above or below other forms or protection, including traditional waxes and sealants (it also acts as a phenomenal topper for ceramic coated surfaces!). Because of the nano-particles, this product greatly prefers either a properly prepped level surface for maximum performance. As for the reason for the rinsing application method, this is actually designed to spray a very thin and even layer of product across the surface. You will find that this product is intentionally designed to spread incredibly easily and efficiently with a strong stream of water. The reason for the suggested "strong stream" is that it does a better job of spreading out a thinner, more even layer of product (but if you use a garden hose you can still make up for the lack of pressure during the drying process as this will also help to spread an even layer of product).

Lastly, in terms of durability, I am not sure what methods were used to determine a 2-4 month timeline (maybe using "similar" competitive products?), but in my own testing we have found this product to last a very solid 6+ months on a neglected car that is rarely washed or touched with anything. As always, mileage will vary based on how you apply it, what you apply it on, how you maintain it, etc, but expect 2-6 months very consistently when properly applied.

That said, I personally use this as my drying aide every time I wash anything because it is incredibly slick, goes on all surfaces (trim, paint, plastics, rubber, and even glass) and just plain easy to use. Any other questions? Let me know... I will do my best to check back in and answer them. Thanks again for the cool video!
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Loach, SWETM, EKhatch, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got my bottle on the 5th, and I believe I applied it to my hood on the 6th? It’s winter here so the waters turned off, so I just washed my hood with ONR, dried the panel, and then sorted HCW into a damp towel and spread it out, and dried it.

My car hasn’t been washed since then, and it’s still behaving pretty well when it rains. I went outside and snapped a couple pictures of the beading in the rain. Keep in mind it’s been through roughly 1300 miles of commuting in this time and been driven through rain at least half a dozen times. All things considered it seems to be holding up really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finick View Post
    I got my bottle on the 5th, and I believe I applied it to my hood on the 6th? It’s winter here so the waters turned off, so I just washed my hood with ONR, dried the panel, and then sorted HCW into a damp towel and spread it out, and dried it.

My car hasn’t been washed since then, and it’s still behaving pretty well when it rains. I went outside and snapped a couple pictures of the beading in the rain. Keep in mind it’s been through roughly 1300 miles of commuting in this time and been driven through rain at least half a dozen times. All things considered it seems to be holding up really well.

That is very impresive how it has stayed clean! What is your base protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finick View Post

Now that’s good beading. I wonder why the videos show such lackluster performance? Different batches? Baffling.

Post Thanks / Like

So it appears this can be used as drying aid with a rinseless wash?? Wonder how it would work over 1000p??
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Protected by 303 Graphene

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, the follow up video has been posted. So what I ended up doing is settling on showcasing the best performance that I`ve seen of all the other spray and rinse sealants by themselves, compared to the best performance of HCW. It didn`t matter if I sprayed them on dry, sprayed and worked them in wet, I couldn`t get any of the other products to behave more aggressively than what the clips in the video showcase. The performance of HCW when used as a spray and rinse on a surface loaded with water compared to a dry surface is a night and day difference, but look at how good Sonax is able to penetrate through the water on the surface and really excel on the initial rinse. I could have shown each test consecutively on top of the hydrophilic water sheet and done a better pure test video, but this would have made for a very long vid and I don`t think I could have talked through it all. Had to settle on a previous clip that I did 10 months ago of Recharge, this V1 bottle is definitely toast at this point it`s about a year old.

Thanks tom p., rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

As always, fantastic video, Loach!

Thank you, this was very informative.

Okay, the follow up video has been posted. So what I ended up doing is settling on showcasing the best performance that I`ve seen of all the other spray and rinse sealants by themselves, compared to the best performance of HCW. It didn`t matter if I sprayed them on dry, sprayed and worked them in wet, I couldn`t get any of the other products to behave more aggressively than what the clips in the video showcase. The performance of HCW when used as a spray and rinse on a surface loaded with water compared to a dry surface is a night and day difference, but look at how good Sonax is able to penetrate through the water on the surface and really excel on the initial rinse. I could have shown each test consecutively on top of the hydrophilic water sheet and done a better pure test video, but this would have made for a very long vid and I don`t think I could have talked through it all. Had to settle on a previous clip that I did 10 months ago of Recharge, this V1 bottle is definitely toast at this point it`s about a year old.

Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is very impresive how it has stayed clean! What is your base protection?
    My base is a botched CQUK3.0. Coating seems to be around, but it behaves oddly and not as hydrophobic as it`s supposed to be. I`m apparently very bad with coatings, but I do plan on going back with my leftover and trying to redo my hood at some point.

Based on both of Loaches videos, HCW is performing for me exactly like it is for him.

Now that’s good beading. I wonder why the videos show such lackluster performance? Different batches? Baffling.
    Yesterday I took my car to the shop I work at and gave it a thorough wash, and applied more HCW to my hood and the rest of the car. I wish I had gotten a video of the hood because it was incredibly hydrophobic even just using a standard hose to rinse it off. Easily matched what I just watched in Loaches new video. It was incredibly impressive. As an anecdote, the receptionist was also washing her car so I told her I`d apply it to hers as well. Her cars not been clayed, polished, or prepped in any way. It did not behave nearly like it did on mine, just like Loaches video showcased.

Since I was also indoors I applied it across the entire car and then went around rinsing it, with 0 issues or streaking. I only observed a handful of weaker beading spots. The one that i noticed most was on my driver side rear door, near the bottom, and that was probably just an application error because I am very tall and my car sits very low. So I just probably missed that area. When it starts to warm up I`m going to try the same method outside at home once the sun is on the other side of the house. If I encounter no issues doing it outside, this product is a real winner in my opinion, even with it`s quirk of preferring to be worked in and then rinsed.

So I think the poor performance could be people just trying to do an initial spray and rinse application rather than doing an inital wax as you dry method, which seems to work pretty well in my (one and only) limited experience using it that way.

I really enjoyed this video. HCW definitely has really aggressive water behavior, and it`s nice to know that my really limited use of the product lines up with someone else`s. I think this product is a great value for the money, especially considering I`ve used it on my entire car (hood twice), and a GMC Terrain, and I think I`ve used a grand total of maybe 3-4oz out of the bottle.

That`s with the receptionist where I work spraying about 5 sprays onto her driver side fender before asking me how much to use, lol. So a little definitely goes a long way. If the performance I saw over 20 days or so is any indicator, this product should be decently durable, making it an even better value. The beading in my last post was still going strong even on a surface with a definite layer of grime built up.
    Likes Loach, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the video. Water beading looks good but I wonder how this protects against water spots and bugs.

I`m also curious that if performance is that much better wiped in, why make it a spray and rinse product at all? If it really is supposed to last 4-6 months after the initial "wax as you dry" application, I see marginal benefit to not just doing that again in 6 months. Also a pet peeve of mine where a product "easily" has durability of XXX months but they apply it every wash (I`m referencing the product manager`s comments).

Something tells me the base layer thing was a hang-up in product development. If this was released as a WOWA product it might cannibalize Fast Finish because then they seem very similar. It needs quirky rinse application to stand alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Your `follow-up` video makes me want to try the HCW even more.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how Megs HCW would compare to the new Mothers CMX?

01024_CMX_CeramicSprayWash_wReflection (1).jpg VS G190532HybridCeramicWax_Hero_Custom_.png

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information