Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whip`s Wax Salt Remover

In my experience here,just pressure washing won’t remove it. It looks like it’s gone,then it reappears upon drying.

The touchless removes the salt but it doesn’t remove the road film. I need to go to the hand wash for that. If I plan to get it hand washed,I’ll run it through the touchless first to get the salt off.

I cringe just thinking about them swirling the salt around trying to get it off.

I’ll try the Whip’s and see if I can avoid the hand wash as often as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Full explaination of the "mag chloride"(brine) in a series of tech articles may be read at Valugard.net
    Thanks for the info. Scary stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Valugard makes a product to remove the mag chloride and it`s residue. VG-502, ProGard. However, it is not sold in any size less than a 5 gallon container as they market and provide it mainly to the trucking industry, which has a several "billion dollar" issue with the trucks and their trailers. Over the 10 years since I retired from them,they have moved away from marketing to the small users and so only promote and package products for large volume users such as the vehicle manufacturers and the trucking industry.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes Lonnie, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap! Ketch! Long time no see! Great to see you posting!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    I’ve yet to experience this new “brine” here in Michigan? Or at least notice a problem removing it. Salt residue has always been super easy to clean for me. Just pressure washing it with plain water seems to remove any remnants of it typically. And touchless washes (heat/chemical/dwell) does it even better.

Do you really need to go beyond this for regular maintenance washing.
    i get what you are saying, Dave. I think this stuff is designed for more of a touch less type wash to maybe/possibly neutralize the corrosive effects of salt. Again I’m no scientist. For me a contact wash takes care of it but a standard pressure washing won’t. If it can neutralize the corrosive properties of “salt” or “brine” then I can see it being useful on undersides of vehicles where maybe you can’t reach or clean thoroughly.

Post Thanks / Like

In Sweden they have a small % of gypsum in the road salt. Think it`s for the road salt flings to stay on the roads until the road salt starts to melt the ice/snow. They have in the later years started to both have the road salt flings. And have a wet road salt solution they apply on the same time.

When I did my military service on an airbase. We used Urea instead of road salt on the runway. Think it was that the airplanes magnesium wheels did not like road salt.
    The Urea is also used as an addetive on diesel engines. It`s sprayed in the exhaust catalysator and makes much of the harmfull exhaust fumes into water. Semi-trucks and tractors and such machines uses it the most. I think that Volvo testing it in cars. It has it`s own tank and the product is called Ad-Blue. And is the most environment friendly diesel engine option today.

The TFR prewash foam takes care of the road salt for me. Then the oily road film that is left I use a tar degreaser to desolve it. If it`s too long since I washed the car. I need to do a touch wash after this. But if only a week or so the PW cleans it pretty good.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM,

Thanks for the Swedish input. It`s much appreciated.

Are there any LSP`s that stand up to the conditions in Sweden?
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham- Hey, Ketch, glad to see you posting here. Better to hear (all sorts of) stuff straight from you than through me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Valugard makes a product to remove the mag chloride and it`s residue. VG-502, ProGard. However, it is not sold in any size less than a 5 gallon container as they market and provide it mainly to the trucking industry, which has a several "billion dollar" issue with the trucks and their trailers. Over the 10 years since I retired from them,they have moved away from marketing to the small users and so only promote and package products for large volume users such as the vehicle manufacturers and the trucking industry.
    Mr.Ketchum,

Thanks for the Valugard update. That explains why I couldn’t find the Valugard store.

Is there any product available to us consumers that’s the equivalent of the VG-502?

Post Thanks / Like

Older- In case Ketch doesn`t see your Q, note that sometimes you can get satisfaction by calling ValuGard on the phone and talking to a real person. Same with FinishKare IME. Most of the people I`ve spoken with have been nice and helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

None I am aware of, it`s an industrial type product.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info and insight. It’s much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Automotive International Inc. (ValuGard`s parent company) can be contacted at:
    call 800.543.7156 * 513.489.7883.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone does contact them and what the outcome is about buying and using ProGard for their vehicle(s).
    NO, I am not campaigning for a "group buy", but I would think that ValuGard may send out a sample if someone with legitimate detailing credentials asks.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ketch- You keep posting here and I`m gonna get used to it! Heh heh, might save me lots of "according to Ketch.." posting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    SWETM,

Thanks for the Swedish input. It`s much appreciated.

Are there any LSP`s that stand up to the conditions in Sweden?
    I have used Ultima Paint Guard Plus sealant and Gyeon Wet Coat. They stod up good. With Ultima PGP I used QD as topping the protection with. Angelwax QED and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer is what I used that winter. Last winter I used Wet Coat and applyied it 3 times with a month apart. That reached just above 2 months till the water behavior failed. And to note is that I use a TFR prewash foam followed by a tar degreaser. The tar degreaser is kerosene based and I apply it with a hand pump sprayer bottle. It`s seems like it`s like the A in the ABC. The important thing to not do is to not apply it over the bottom of the windows. So just the front bumper and the lower side panels and the back of the car. Cause it desolves the rust protection inside of the doors. If used regualary over the whole car. And also not spray it in the wheel wells. As it can get it`s way in parts that has rust protection around that area.

Ceramic coatings has been very popular here in Sweden. And it`s cause of the high resistant to chemicals. Collinite 476s and Menzerna Powerlock is other LSP that I see a lot of use in the forums here. The synthetic waxes and sealants that has a good chemical resistant is what we uses. And it`s cause we use a combo of alkaline degreaser and tar degreaser. The tar degreaser is called Cold Degreaser. Sonax has those degreasers so don`t why it`s not offered in the US too. Could be that the chemicals used is not something a consumer is able to use. But there are options available in the US. Citrus based degreaser is a great one to use both in the winter months and the bug seasons. I like the citrus based prewash foams. Gtechnic W4 Citrus Foam is a prewash foam you could be testing out if interested. Just have in mind that the 1:400 dilution is when it gets on your car. So 1:4-1:9 In the foamcannon bottle and see how the gets. The citrus based is also gentle to the LSP as a TFR prewash. I think that GG BOSS foaming surface wash is like a TFR. And as with all prewashes you often need to do a contact wash afterwards. But there is not so much dirt left if you use the water pressure from the PW to clean with. I always start to PW from the bottom of the car and work my way up. The chemicals is on there till you clean it of with the PW. And you see where you are when cleaning it off. And the run off has easier to run off a cleaned surface. The leftover dirt and road film is easy cleaned away after this. So less agitation is needed when you 2bm wash it. You can also do waterless wash or rinseless wash after the prewash. The degreasers do very much to revive the LSP water behavior. Some seems to be done after the prewash. But when you have done the contact wash it often comes back. Otherwise the LSP need to be topped or reapplyied. I`m a strong believer in that different chemicals desolves different kind of dirt. So it`s just to find the right chemical LOL. Easier said than done LOL.

ProGard seems like a great winter degreaser. Some of those industrial degreasers I have used has been a very impresive cleaning ability from. The Tardis was noted before. They are also big in the different degreasers that delivers to wash stations and to semi-trucks cleaners. Autosmart is the name of the manufacture of Tardis.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gtec...l#.W_-i4-hwE1I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information