2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Mothers CMX CERAMIC SPRAY COATING

How mothers shows you use it.

Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So 5 weeks since I applied cmx to the Buick. Almost 1,500 miles, a drive to from the dr in K.C. Through a lot of rain. Driven tough the slush and aftermath of the snow storm. The thin atmosphere (= high uv) at over 7000 feet here.

Early on it beaded pretty well. The self cleaning of it was good, gave me a glimpse of what a coating can do. At 5 weeks it`s pretty much dead. Washed it with reset to see if it would rive it some, nope. Using the blower to dry the car was not very productive.

My experiences with lsp`s since moving here. Products I`ve had good success with when living in other states, but not here. Fusso coat, meguiers FF, turtle wax ice sealant. Here none of those gave me more than a month though. For this last fall I tried the FK1000p. Again got about a month. So really this cmx performed not much different. So I would say as easy as it is to apply. I`m ok with its performance compared to other sealants in this environment.

So im now gathering products to try the gloss shop coating. Looking at mf pads for the paint correction. After that I`m just waiting to get consistent temperatures. Still to cold here to be in the temp range for e coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Man...with the FK1000P from last year still doing great on mine, your experiences sure have me scratching my head! YMMV indeed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Coleroad- Man...with the FK1000P from last year still doing great on mine, your experiences sure have me scratching my head! YMMV indeed

when I lived in southern Michigan, I had really no issues get decent life out of most lsp`s. Environmental differences really makes for different experience. Down in Houston it wasn`t too much of a difference from Michigan. I think the temperatures made the only real difference. A straight up wax did last but seconds it seemed. Then west Kansas was a much bigger difference. The amount of dirt + winds in the teens most days. Just sandblasted everything. Even when I was stationed at fort Bliss there wasn`t so much dirt in the air on a daily basis. Then at least where I`m at in Colorado sealants just aren`t working for me. Now the camaro that spends most of its life in the garage wears souverän and I only applied it twice last year. It also only got driven 900 miles last year. Here I think it`s the more intense uv rays from the thin atmosphere at this elevation. It would be nice to hear if others living at 7000 and above have the same experience as I do, and what they`ve figured out that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Well, I`m glad your Camaro is safe in the garage at least Heh heh, 900 miles/year is a lot more than most of mine get

Post Thanks / Like

So I tried the Meguiar`s Hybrid Ceramic Wax on my wife`s car this weekend. I`d like to think I am the exact demographic they are looking for. I`m just a guy with a family, a mortgage, a job, 2 daily drivers, and no garage who used to think wax is wax is wax. I followed the instructions for the initial application. Long story short, I was not happy with the results. Here`s where I know I went wrong.
    1. Didn`t decontaminate the paint. Pressed for time with waning daylight and distracted by an accident prone 4 year old playing with older kids down the street.
    2. Used way too much product. I sprayed the whole car at once a little too liberally.
    3. Some of the panels dried before I had a chance to buff them off. I should have done one panel at a time.

All of these factors led to streaking. I kept switching to clean cloths often but it was no use once the product dried. Oh well, the car looks better than it did and the paint does feel pretty slick, save for the obvious contamination. Maybe I`ll wash it again next weekend and put on a maintenance coat per the instructions, which will hopefully even out the finish. I`ll try to remember to report back in a few weeks to let everyone know how it holds up. One thing I liked is that it won`t discolor plastics as long as you wipe it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by live311 View Post
    So I tried the Meguiar`s Hybrid Ceramic Wax on my wife`s car this weekend. I`d like to think I am the exact demographic they are looking for. I`m just a guy with a family, a mortgage, a job, 2 daily drivers, and no garage who used to think wax is wax is wax. I followed the instructions for the initial application. Long story short, I was not happy with the results. Here`s where I know I went wrong.
    1. Didn`t decontaminate the paint. Pressed for time with waning daylight and distracted by an accident prone 4 year old playing with older kids down the street.
    2. Used way too much product. I sprayed the whole car at once a little too liberally.
    3. Some of the panels dried before I had a chance to buff them off. I should have done one panel at a time.

All of these factors led to streaking. I kept switching to clean cloths often but it was no use once the product dried. Oh well, the car looks better than it did and the paint does feel pretty slick, save for the obvious contamination. Maybe I`ll wash it again next weekend and put on a maintenance coat per the instructions, which will hopefully even out the finish. I`ll try to remember to report back in a few weeks to let everyone know how it holds up. One thing I liked is that it won`t discolor plastics as long as you wipe it off.
    Sorry, can you clarify please. You said you tried Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax. Did you mean Mothers CMX? They`re very different animals.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a little late to the party and had a chance to try the new Mothers CMX today. I picked up a bottle on the recent Autopia sale for $14.95 with 6 free towels. I definitely like this product better than Meguiars HCW. I applied with a block microfiber app and allowed it to sit for a few minutes to bond. Wipe off was a breeze with next to no streaking. I used it on glass, trim, and the paint finish. Amazing gloss and great slickness. I didn`t get any other of the "silica dust" or sand particles that others described during use.

I didn`t get the streaking that I did with HCW and it seemed to spread and wipe off easier. I did soak my MF towels in some APC afterwards to be on the safe side.

For a consumer grade product it definitely gets a "A" for ease of use. Time will tell on durability.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes tom p., VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the CMX as well. It lasted for about 3-4 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59w-eKzmgw4

Interesting comparision of the new spray coatings. Not sure I agree with the test parameters but at least the surface was prepped before application.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I feel like I`ve finally given CMX a good shakedown. Not impressed. Dirt release characteristics are no better than a sealant or spray sealant. Lackluster looks and the biggest con for me is the application process, just more work than it needs to be. If anyone wants to pay for shipping, you can have my bottle.
    Thanks tom p., acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got CMX on one car and did the hood/fenders of my wife`s car with the Turtle Wax product. The TW product still looks pretty decent a few weeks down the road. I`ll have to visit the car with CMX - - that one sits outside 24/7.

Post Thanks / Like

TW S&S is much more durable that CMX. I am thoroughly disappointed with CMX.
    Thanks acuRAS82, tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used CMX here and there, but never gave it time to give a fair opinion... although I agree it has mediocre shine compared to some other higher priced competitors. I don’t recall remarkable self cleaning, but it was OK. I tried it on my wheels a few times and it held on to dirt and break dust more than PBL Coating, BF Coating Booster, Mckees Hydro Blue or PA Super Sport.

The one place I haven’t tried and have heard it excels is glass. Glass isn’t sexy but it’s important, and the remainder of my bottle will most likely top my glass coating (after some 50/50 tests) this winter.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information