Post Thanks / Like

Best wheel repainting kits?

Long story short, I`m redoing my wheels on one of my cars. They aren`t rashed or curbed but they are scuffed beyond a polish. Looking for recommendations on a tough/durable paint (Wheel kit for high temps), I`ll scuffing/sanding them down and priming them as well if needed. What recommendations do you have?
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best wheel repainting kits?

The Driver- TBH, and I know this isn`t what you`re after I`d have them refinished or just buy ones that already were and send those as cores.

If your wheels are powdercoated/whatever-they-use`ed like the ones for my last Mazda, refinishing them could be an *incredible* PIA, my painter was going nuts over those and he`d done countless wheels over the years with no such issues.

More of a real answer to what you really asked: the short answer for Wheel Paint has generally been Wurth. It`s not so much about heat (even track-day wheels never get nearly as hot as most expect), more about just being really tough paint that`ll stay on there. IIRC Eastwood also has Wheel Paint, and most of their stuff is at least above average.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll 2nd what Accumulator said: the Wurth product is good

Post Thanks / Like

Though I can`t help but suspect that *somebody* must sell some newfangled/presumably better something these days....

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve repainted several sets of wheels including with Wurth. If it’s on a cheapo car, go for it. But on a decent car, it’s worth paying for a quality refinishing. The mobile guys can even do decent stuff if you give them your expectations.
    Likes tom p., The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not worried about super high temps, this is going on my Land Rover but I would like to make it look nice. Don`t mind sanding and polishing clear after a coats. Refinishing to me isn`t worth it on this truck, they want 500 and I have lug them there. For me, it`s just not worth it. I think I`m going to give the wurth kit a try, probably do a diy well I`m at it.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

The Drive recommends VHT Wheel Paint
    The Drive - Wheel Paint Reviews

But to me a wheel shop is a good option - they offer all kinds of colors and can fix up any blemishes fairly easily... I`ve generally seen here in CT - it`s ~$150 / wheel - so not as cheap as DIY - but not bad.

You could also try a Powder Coating shop - they can be even cheaper if it`s strictly cosmetic and requires nothing more than blasting as prep....

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Many different type of wheels and wheel kits are out there ( Mini Cooper Here ). With a wheel paint and clear from Wurth which is a perfect color match for my car and stopping by my local auto parts store for a tube of metal bondo, It`s a weekend project that get`s me out of trouble from the wife.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Thread Information