Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Protection against tree sap mist?

Hi. Newbie here. Been lurking and searching for quite some time and decided to finally register.

My issue: We have oak and madrone trees all over the place. One or the other or both seem to emit a sap mist that rapidly makes a car`s surface feel like 180 grit sandpaper. Like in one day. I`m not talking about pitch blobs. This is pin point size particles that stick to the car.

Our 2017 GMC (red metallic) had a bad case of this "sandpaper". I clay bar`d it and at first I didn`t think it did anything. But on closer inspection, it seems I traded convex pitch spots for concave paint pitting. Crap. The paint is covered in near microscopic pits that you can both see and feel. Polished it up, and it is reasonably acceptable.

My question:

Does anybody have a suggestion for protecting the paint going forward? Priorities (in this order):
    1. Maximum protection against the sap mist.
    2. Long lasting - Although I regularly wash/wax my garage queen, I dislike spending any more time than necessary on the daily drivers.
    3. Easy to use.
    4. Least critical: Appearance. It`s not a show car, just as long as it looks generally presentable, I`m happy.

I`m going to partially answer my own post. On our white Chevy Volt, I applied a 15 year old can of Finish First, followed by Zaino Clear Seal (ZCS). Surface feels like greased snot, the tree sap easily comes off with any quick detailer. But these products are old school, and I`ve read that the tech has come a long way recently. So there must be better solutions out there. Also, a number of years ago I had to have a small area of a car repainted from a minor dent. I had used Finish First on it. The body shop had an extremely difficult time getting the paint to stick. It would fish-eye badly. They tried all kinds of solvents, thinners, surface preps, etc. After many tries, they eventually got it painted. I`ve heard that some silicone compounds could cause this, but that may not be correct. Just a guess. So Finish First may not be ideal!

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protection against tree sap mist?

4regt4- Welcome to Autopia!

Yes indeed, some tree sap is incredibly damaging, and ongoing exposure to it would sure be a challenge.

Regulars here know what I`d recommend....FK1000P High Temp Paste Wax. Last time I had to park my Tahoe outside for a while it was under one of those oaks and the sap did indeed wash off OK. But hey..it wasn`t exposed to the stuff all that long and it didn`t stay on long either. Still, none of my other LSPs (Last Step Product, i.e., "wax"/etc.) would`ve stood up to that as well.

Heh heh, the FK an older product, but sometimes an oldie really is a goodie.

New-tech: Maybe one of the Coatings that`re so popular in some circles would be a solution if just upgrading the wax isn`t enough.

Some products *are* hard to get off/out of the paint...not a problem unless/until you do need to strip `em off for painting and then it sure can be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the same mist from my pecan trees. Nothing other than a cover will provide the protection you are seeking. Waxes, sealants, and coatings will all protect the paint making the sap easier (not a whole lot) to remove. If you decide not to use a cover then I would go with a sealant or a coating over the use of a wax because you need to wash weekly to remove the sap and wax will not hold up to the abuse. The sap mixes with dirt and dust turning it into a horrible mess. I left a car uncovered and unwashed for two months during the misting season and it turned black and it had to be scrubbed vigorously to get it clean, never again. Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator:

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention: I have some Zaino products laying around, and I applied AOI, Z5, and ZCS to the GMC. No where close to being as slick as the Finish First/ZCS combo. It kinda sorta seems to protect from the tree sap, but not as well as the FF/ZCS on the Volt. Of course, heat might be an issue - the Volt being white doesn`t get quite as hot. Heat might "cure" the tree sap, making it harder to remove.

Does the FK1000P need to be re-applied frequently?

Thanks,
    Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, sealant or coating it is. Now I just have to figure out which one. Again, durability is key, as I don`t want to have to do the daily drivers a lot.

A cover is completely out of the question. These cars are run-out-the-door, drive off. No time for fuss or muss. Weekly washings are probably not in the cards either. Heat and lack of shade in the summer, very cold in the winter.

I saw on here a thread with a bazillion posts about these products. The OP was recommending Kamakazi (sp?). I haven`t poured through all the posts to see if others thought yea or nay, but I guess that will be my homework assignment.

Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently moved to South Carolina and I have a pine tree sap issue. As previously mentioned, the sooner you get to it the better. I don`t get misting so hand sanitizer seems to do the trick. I`ve been using Sonax Polymer Net Shield as my go to sealant and I`m pretty happy with it.

However, I`m thinking about giving a coating a try to see if it`s more effective. I`ve never dabbled with coatings before so Gyeon Q2 CanCoat is at the top of my list right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting...

In summer 2017 I started noticing a fine, crystalline-feeling deposits on the surface of our car that sits outside 24/7. Pretty much colorless, fine grit...wouldn`t come off windshield completely with wipers/washers so it`s hadda be kinda `persistent` on the painted panels as well.

Wash the car one evening, leave it out in driveway the next day and by late afternoon, covered in grit again.

We have lived on a heavily wooded lot (many oaks) since 1991 so maybe it was/is the trees? It happened again this past summer but seemed lessened somewhat. Never noticed it before in all the years we lived here but the cars that sat outside back then received very little attention so maybe been happening all along?

Anyway, I got the pressure washer/foam cannon setup specifically to see if a good pre soak would remove the grit before i took a wash mitt and it easily does so problem solved as far as dealing with it without any lasting impact. Still a pain and irritating but at least it seems not to have any lasting impact.

Our cars are all coated so I`d think/hope/pray/wish that it helps with the protection and somewhat easy removal but maybe a good sealant would do it as well.

Funny that trees never really occurred to me. I stood on our roof for 30 minutes holding a clear piece of plexiglas near the chimney exhaust with furnace, the a/c running, held the piece of plexiglas near dryer vent outlet for a cycle and completely wrapped a lilac bush in plastic for day...all trying to find the source if the misty, floating grit. Guess I shoulda just looked up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I get the same mist from my pecan trees. Nothing other than a cover will provide the protection you are seeking. Waxes, sealants, and coatings will all protect the paint making the sap easier (not a whole lot) to remove. If you decide not to use a cover then I would go with a sealant or a coating over the use of a wax because you need to wash weekly to remove the sap and wax will not hold up to the abuse. The sap mixes with dirt and dust turning it into a horrible mess. I left a car uncovered and unwashed for two months during the misting season and it turned black and it had to be scrubbed vigorously to get it clean, never again. Welcome to the forum!
    Yeah, but at least you get pecans, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, but at least you get pecans, right?
    Sometimes. And when we get them they pound the roof like golf balls and put dents in the wife’s car. Oh yeah I found out I’m allergic to pecan tree pollen. Ouch.

Post Thanks / Like

I say this very tongue-in-cheek:

I`ve worked occasionally in race car pits. Race cars get filthy very quickly. In particular, race tire rubber melts off the tire and sticks firmly to the front of the car behind. Very difficult to remove. So.....

Many teams spray the nose of the car with Lemon Pledge furniture wax before each session. Upon returning to the pits, a quick dry wipe with a shop rag and the car is pristine again!

Not sure I want to be the first to try this on a nice street car, though. Don`t have a clue as to what long term effects it might have on the paint, nor how long the coating would last.

But I bet tree sap won`t stick.

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments.

Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Wow. I’ve never seen a car turn black. Wow.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum Hans !

For sure, in absence of a garage, a car or truck, cover will keep the sap off the vehicle/s..
    Good, light, tight, ones are are very easy to install and remove.. I have 49 years experience using them..

I have had everything - waxes, all of the Zaino products, etc., sealants, coatings, on Client vehicles and my own personal vehicles..
    None of these products have ever undergone - extreme tree sap mist tests - so I have no direct experience with that..

In order of things that are easiest to apply and might work for your particular challenges are Finish Kare Hi-temp paste wax - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/fini...l#.W-pQKNWQH3g
    Sonax Polymer Net Shield - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/sona...l#.W-pQ-NWQH3g
    Coatings

And of course, as has already been said above, even with these products, washing the vehicles a lot with some soaps will tend to remove some of the products faster..

So now you have to think about investing in soaps that are made to be kind to coatings, etc...
    The one that I know really works great on coatings is called Carpro Reset - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carp...l#.W-pSENWQH3g

Whatever you may decide to do to all the paintwork, please make sure a good paint correction happens first, so that the product will have the best chance to adhere the best and longest to it..
    Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Wow. I’ve never seen a car turn black. Wow.
    Ron had a black car turn white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Ron had a black car turn white.
    Yeah, but he did that with a checkbook!
    Likes Tc99m, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Yeah, but he did that with a checkbook!
    touché.