Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protection against tree sap mist?

You are fortunate (AKA, lucky) that the tree sap you are dealing with is water soluble or at least somewhat soluble in the presence of a emulsifier (AKA soap).

Funny you mention this "misting" of sap. We have city-planted (and, hence, city-owned) Linden trees on our boulevard next to the street that drop leaves starting in June and drip (mist) this fine sap. Park your vehicle under them and it is just like your experience. Fortunately it is water soluble, but it is a pain to wash off. I end up using Optimum`s Power Wash at 4 ounces per gallon with Meg`s Detailer Line Hyper Wash Soap. I have also found that Turtle Wax`s Max Wash mixed at 9 ounces to a gallon along with the Hyperwash works OK as a (much) cost-effective (AKA cheaper) alternative.

As a side note, we live near Lambeau Stadium where the Green Bay Packers play football during the NFL season. Our first pre-season game was last Thursday (08 August) at home and many fans park their vehicles on our street when attending the game because it is free (it IS a public street). A lady in a very nice British Racing Green MGB with the tan top down parked on the street next to our house under these trees. I asked if she was going to leave the top down, which she said she was. I informed her of the sap from the trees and what would happen to her interior if she stayed, even for a few hours. Wisely she moved.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Hey, good on you regarding that MG!

The "water soluble" hadn`t occurred to me, but that sure *could* make all the diff! I`m thinking how some Pines and others are such a PIA to clean off tools and my hands, luckily nothing like that ever got on my vehicles! Elms, Oaks, not sure what else *has* gotten on them, but everything has always come off the FK just fine, even though it did *NOT* work that way with Collinite/M16/BF/etc. (long list).

Post Thanks / Like

Reviving old thread..... Mostly because of context.

Quote Originally Posted by 4regt4 View Post
    Resurrecting old thread as a follow up.....

Quick summary of OP and some of the replies: I have trees that seem to emit a fine mist of tree sap. Leaves the paint feeling like sandpaper, and it etches the paint. Not good. I was looking for something to serve mostly as a protectant, if it looks good that`s just a bonus. FK1000 was recommended. Applied early last spring, 2nd coat in March. A quick 3rd coat on the hood and parts of roof most exposed somewhere around early April. Car gets rarely washed, for practical reasons - heat, no shady place to wash, me not liking to wash a big truck, etc.

So.... Today was the first shady day with reasonable temps. Car looked surprisingly good, considering its neglect. Soaked it with a hose. Water slid off, leaving "microbeads" of water. Hmm... Impressive. By feel, the paint was like sandpaper in places with the sap mist. Washed with Zaino Z7 soap (it`s what I have....). *ALL* tree sap was gone. Water beading, etc. seem to show that the FK1000 is still there. It seemed to provide a slick enough layer that the Z7 "slid" the sap off.

I haven`t tried other soaps, I have lots of Z7 and it seems to work well without removing any waxes/coatings.

Anyway, FK1000 seems to provide great long lasting protection.

Hans.
    Update:

Yes, it`s been about a year since the last FK1000 application. But I`ve been washing (twice in the last year!!) with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash. Finally got a cloudy day with reasonable temps to attempt a wash. The car had been exposed several times to dirt roads, only to have the dirt firmly cemented in place with morning dew. Plus the tree sap.

What happened was (to me...) amazing. I hit the car with a firm water spray. The dirt slid off, leaving those tiny "micro bubbles" which stand tall and sort of tuck up under themselves. It actually looked clean, even though I hadn`t yet washed it. Incredible. Previously, (see above) the tree sap was noticeable after just the rinse, but easily washed off. This time, there was no tree sap residue evident at all just from the rinse alone. Using the SiO2 Wash with a white wash mitt, the mitt showed only a very tiny amount of dirt on it. OK, the lower panels were somewhat worse.

Was this a result of the FK1000? Or the SiO2 wash? Or a synergy between them? Or maybe the SiO2 wash "preserved" the FK1000? I don`t know. But with these kind of results on an admittedly neglected car, I`m not going to change anything. I`ll be applying my annual (just kidding here, as I know that is not optimal by any means...) coat of FK1000 in the next week or two. And continue with very sporadic SiO2 washes after that. When I can. If it`s convenient...

Hans. (happy camper..)

Post Thanks / Like

4regt4- Hey, that`s great! So glad it`s working well and that you posted back to tell us about it.

Sounds like the FK1000P and the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Wash are nice and compatible...you`re getting the same kind of performance I do even though your conditions sound *SO* much worse I guess the SiO2 wash added enough [whatever] to handle that tree sap.

If the SiO2 wash doesn`t somehow mess with your ability to get another coat of FK1000P on there, you oughta be set for a good long time. I hope you get a chance to post back, hopefully with a positive report about how great everything is still going.

Man, you just made my day

Post Thanks / Like

Didn`t Rejex have the slogan "Nothing Sicks but the Shine"??
    Wonder if that would work against sap sticking.

Nice that you have informed us Autopians of your experience. Once-a-year application of FK1000P Hi-Temp Wax is better than nothin` at all, especially with its long-lasting properties.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    4regt4- Hey, that`s great! So glad it`s working well and that you posted back to tell us about it.

Sounds like the FK1000P and the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Wash are nice and compatible...you`re getting the same kind of performance I do even though your conditions sound *SO* much worse I guess the SiO2 wash added enough [whatever] to handle that tree sap.

If the SiO2 wash doesn`t somehow mess with your ability to get another coat of FK1000P on there, you oughta be set for a good long time. I hope you get a chance to post back, hopefully with a positive report about how great everything is still going.

Man, you just made my day
    Admittedly, I`m maybe in a grey area here trying to put the FK1000P over the SiO2 wash. Before applying the wax, I`ll wash with a "regular" car soap. Not sure if it will be obvious (to me) if the FK1000P is not adhering well. Hmmm.... We`ll see.

Hans.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it really tree sap which in my experiences with all the huge pines, cedars, firs, (Conifers), of the Pacific Northwest, is really sticky, and does not want to do anything but spread its stickiness everywhere, or is it the aphid poop that I have seen rain down from other deciduous trees down here, like in the Northern California Farmland?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Is it really tree sap which in my experiences with all the huge pines, cedars, firs, (Conifers), of the Pacific Northwest, is really sticky, and does not want to do anything but spread its stickiness everywhere, or is it the aphid poop that I have seen rain down from other deciduous trees down here, like in the Northern California Farmland?
    Dan F
    I guess I`m not sure. It`s a fine, sticky mist. Leaves the car feeling like 80 grit sandpaper once it`s been on there for a while. I`m in Oregon, in a mountainous area with mixed trees. But it`s not the (relatively) clear syrup-type sap that can drip from the various evergreens. I`ve had that too, just not in my driveway. Had a 3" puddle of that stuff on my hood once while parked at a golf course.

Hans.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I`m not sure. It`s a fine, sticky mist. Leaves the car feeling like 80 grit sandpaper once it`s been on there for a while. I`m in Oregon, in a mountainous area with mixed trees. But it`s not the (relatively) clear syrup-type sap that can drip from the various evergreens. I`ve had that too, just not in my driveway. Had a 3" puddle of that stuff on my hood once while parked at a golf course.

Hans.
    Hans,
    Thanks for your reply !
    In a previous life, I went to Portland Oregon many times for my company, Verizon, to service some of our Retail Stores..

It is amazing that it has All the different types of climates in 1 state ! It is Beautiful !
    Those 5 mountain passes between it and the California border are just crazy bad to navigate in winter even with chains.. I know this from experience..

I guess the only other clue I can think of if, it is that aphid-poop (that is huge on deciduous trees down here), would be to look at the tree/s and see if there are trails of ants going up and down the tree. They are the most clever "farmers" of this practice, and take the aphids up into the trees to do the work..

I have seen this stuff get so thick on trees in Folsom for example, that the street underneath them turns a sticky, black, mess during the summer..

My local Home Depot has this problem in its parking lots, and one has to avoid parking underneath the trees there in the summer.
    The parking lot will have a sticky substance all over it and you can tell when it gets on the bottom of your boots..

The difference for me in my Detailing experiences with this stuff is that true pine, etc., tree sap is very hard to remove, and I have to resort to my Q-Tips and Goof Off Professional product to get that yellowish, really thick, sticky goo off the the vertical panels of vehicles, once and for all.. No amount of soap, etc., will remove that pine tar stuff easily in my experiences...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly, I`m maybe in a grey area here trying to put the FK1000P over the SiO2 wash. Before applying the wax, I`ll wash with a "regular" car soap. Not sure if it will be obvious (to me) if the FK1000P is not adhering well. Hmmm.... We`ll see.

Hans.
    Try mckees coating prep wash. Does a good job of removing or diminishing Lsp’s for me. Proper way to be sure of a good FK base is a light polish.

Sio2 wash protection not as durable. I’v read that solvents in new application of sealant (FK1000) will break down old LSP (Sio2 wash)....dont know. Polish to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Try mckees coating prep wash. Does a good job of removing or diminishing Lsp’s for me. Proper way to be sure of a good FK base is a light polish.
    Gee, I sure wouldn`t do that unless it were truly necessary! I just refresh my FK1000P without stripping it/etc. for *years* at a time (and I don`t mean just two or three).

I`d see if it works OK first. I`m frequently surprised by how well it works with/over top of other things.

Sio2 wash protection not as durable. I’v read that solvents in new application of sealant (FK1000) will break down old LSP (Sio2 wash)....dont know. Polish to be sure.
    That would be utterly counter to my experience with the FK1000P, but you never know for certain until you try. But I haven`t polished a vehicle to redo the LSP for over 5 years and it hasn`t bitten me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs
    The difference for me in my Detailing experiences with this stuff is that true pine, etc., tree sap is very hard to remove...
    IME it`s another one of those !YMMV! things...I haven`t dealt with *pine sap* on any of my vehicles for decades, but !lucky me! the tree sap I have dealt with washed *right off* the FK1000P the last time (parked the Tahoe in a bad place when the driveway was getting worked on ). Note that when the same tree sap got on vehicles wearing Collinite, it was indeed a Big Deal to clean off..I was expecting a repeat of that with the FK, but happily it didn`t work out that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked, and it looked like this dead horse hasn`t been beaten enough.....

The GMC I referenced before had a nice new coat of dirt that has gone through a dew and then bake-in-the-sun treatment a few more times. I was wanting to wash it to give it a winter coat of FK1000. But I thought I`d first share the before and after photos. One is the dirty hood (unfortunately, it`s the second one, not the first...). The other is with just a quick spray rinse. No soap or wash mitt. After the rinse, it looked almost totally clean. Shine and color does not come through very well as it was a very dark overcast day.

Again, this is FK1000 that is about a year old, and the truck has been washed several times with a Wolfgang SiO2 soap.

Hans.

Protection against tree sap mist?-gmc-wethood-edited.jpgProtection against tree sap mist?-gmc-dirtyhood-edited.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

4regt4- Gee, that really goes to show how well the synergy between those two products works, huh?

Not everybody gets the same results with the FK1000P, but for for those of us that do it`s pretty amazing stuff.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information