Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protection against tree sap mist?

I don`t think CS over FK1000 is a good combo. FK1000 over CS would be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t add anything to the FK1000P except more FK1000P (not even their designated topper, Pink Wax). IF something else were better I`d just use that instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4regt4 View Post
    As for the Dawn and IPA (around these parts, that`s a beer...), I was looking to go harsh as I had some tough issues to deal with. Normally I don`t use them. And shouldn`t have to going forward (I hope)..
    I fear I came across wrong; IME Dawn just isn`t effective enough to justify its use given its overall inferiority to a quality Car Shampoo. I know it cleans baby ducks great, but IME it doesn`t clean cars all that well and it sure doesn`t compromise LSPs/etc. for me the way some expect it to.

Never hurt trim, never caused any problems at all except that I had to rewash with something truly effective. That`s what I meant by not hating on it.

I was going to put Zaino CS over the FK1000 (I`m not really sure why...), but I think I`ll refrain..
    Good plan IME, didn`t see that before I posted my "I wouldn`t do it" above. Heh heh, I`d kinda avoid doing *anything* when "not really sure why" but then I`m often accused of overthinking this stuff

Post Thanks / Like

OK, minor update:

Washed the car yesterday to get it ready for an additional coat of FK1000. What impressed me was the "micro beads" that formed when I sprayed the car. ie. I soaked the car, but water practically flew off and left a zillion little pin points bubbles. I hadn`t seen that before. I usually get bigger beads/bubbles - like 1/8" - 1/4", but I was using the Z-CS previously over the other coatings. So we`ll see how well it ages...... (and, no, I won`t be using the Z-CS this time)

The only thing I`m wondering about is the FK1000 seems to have a lot of static electricity. When I walk very close to the car, my arm hairs stand on end. Rubbing a dry MF towel over it results in a loud crackling sounds. Zaino Z6 seems to cut down on static. Do you see any disadvantage in applying it over FK1000?

Hans.

PS: (edit) Temp this time was about 75deg. The FK1000 sort of "slid" on - slippery like - , rather than being kind of "grippy" as it was in the lower temps. Much easier to apply. What I`m having some difficulty with is determining where I`ve adequately coated the surface, and where I might have missed. It is not terribly easy to me to see it as it goes on. Maybe the color of the car has something to do with this. So it`s entirely possible that I have too much on in places.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_1 View Post
    Last year I did a hood with 4 different combinations of coatings. The car gets parked under a pine tree and I wopuld guess what contaminants that show on the hood is tree sap. The one section that washed completely clean was done with Syncro. The PS front was MOHS+Booster, DS front was CSL+Gliss and the DS rear section was CSL+Exov3. It was no contest that the Syncro (MOHS+Skin) was far superior to the others. This was done mid/late July and the car was coated in Feb.
    Impressive results. I`m not very familiar with most of the products you mention, but I`ll have to look into "Syncro"

Thanks,
    Hans.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

IME, Clear Seal never had that tight, tiny beading of Z2. I just think it`s because it`s something different. I always topped CS with Z8 for that extra pop. I just love Z8 on metallics.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, minor update:

Washed the car yesterday to get it ready for an additional coat of FK1000. What impressed me was the "micro beads" that formed when I sprayed the car. ie. I soaked the car, but water practically flew off and left a zillion little pin points bubbles. I hadn`t seen that before. I usually get bigger beads/bubbles - like 1/8" - 1/4"..
    The trick now (well, after another coat or so) is to reapply as soon as the beads start to be different..bigger/less spherical/whatever..different isn`t good so don`t let it get away from you and you can just wash/LSP for a long, long time.

The only thing I`m wondering about is the FK1000 seems to have a lot of static electricity. When I walk very close to the car, my arm hairs stand on end. Rubbing a dry MF towel over it results in a loud crackling sounds...
    Huh, I can`t say I`ve ever experienced it like that..maybe all the rubbing from the thick application factors in. MAYBE (big "maybe") going over it with FK425, which *SUPPOSEDLY* has anti-static properties (can`t prove it by me..) would help.

Zaino Z6 seems to cut down on static. Do you see any disadvantage in applying it over FK1000?
    Even if it does bond OK, I bet it`d mess with your ability to refresh the FK and lead to having to redo with the AIO. I wouldn`t do it.

Temp this time was about 75deg. The FK1000 sort of "slid" on - slippery like - , rather than being kind of "grippy" as it was in the lower temps. Much easier to apply..
    Part of that is just applying it over itself, but I bet the weather did help too.

What I`m having some difficulty with is determining where I`ve adequately coated the surface, and where I might have missed. It is not terribly easy to me to see it as it goes on. Maybe the color of the car has something to do with this. So it`s entirely possible that I have too much on in places.
    Noting that I use it mostly on silverish/white/etc. colors..I can hardly ever see it clearly on the paint, in part because I apply it so thin. I go by feel and when I fog the surface with my breath (which I basically *always* do when buffing off LSPs) I can see if I`ve missed anything or been less than uniform and can reapply and then buff that area later.

It does get much easier IME...I no longer even give thought to actually seeing the LSP residue on the paint, if I do I figure I put it on too thick.

See if going by feel, and working on being methodical, helps. I mean...I just don`t find that I`m skipping areas. Remember that it doesn`t take much to achieve an adequate application, so if the applicator goes over an area I`d *assume* (uh-oh!) it`s LSPed.

EDIT: I`m really looking forward to hearing how it holds up over time and with regard to contamination. I *have* had tree sap be a minor issue on FK1000P, but it wasn`t the disaster it would`ve been with my other LSPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at the risk of opening up another can of worms - or maybe I should say can of wax.......

I did a web search for comparisons of FK1000 and Collinite 845. Lots of stuff came up. It seems the *general* consensus is that both are very good, but FK1000 might last a bit longer, and 845 had a better appearance to some, likely because of carnauba content.

So, I`m thinking of layering a coat of 845 over a couple of layers of FK1000.

Or am I overthinking this?

Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

4regt4- I`m so glad you`re thinking that I sure won`t suggest you`re overthinking at all!

I bet you`ve already ready my take on this stuff, so apologies if I`m just wasting bandwidth.

I used 845 for ages and it`s good stuff, and unlike FK1000P (generally speaking..) it`s good on trim too. BUT there`s no comparison IME when it comes to durability or protection, and I don`t think that topping with the 845 would enhance the look either. What it *would* do is preclude adding another coat of FK1000P now and then, and I firmly believe that doing that is a great way to stay ahead of the curve.

I`d like to hear what others apparently find regarding a "better appearance". No, no..not arguing/disagreeing and it`s all subjective eye-of-the-beholder stuff. I can sorta see a diff between 845 and, say...476S, but the 845 is a kinda "bright" LSP in its own right, not entirely dissimilar to the FK. Yeah, a *bit* more depth/jetting on some colors, but I still wouldn`t consider it until you`ve lived with the FK for a while. I thought I`d *HATE* it on my dark vehicles, but after a month or so (including all those compliments from strangers...like I`ve never had before) I decided I actually liked how it looked.

BUT...all the above is just my experience/opinion, and at least two people here have had different experiences where Collinite outperformed the FK1000P, and with looks being so subjective I dunno whether you`ll see it the way I do or not.

Whatever you do, I hope you post back about how it goes...both the initial job and your experience over time. Hope it works out great for you, it sure oughta since both those products are good.

Thin, *thin*, *THIN* applications of both, keep the FK off trim, don`t try to buff it off too soon, don`t layer it too much/quickly lest you risk solvent action causing pseudo-holograms. I like to do the second/third coats of FK after each of the next regularly scheduled washes and I`d stop at two-three layers and just reapply when you notice a change in something like the beading.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what brought this to mind is comments by some in favor of layering different products. I could see where this could cause problems, or, on the other hand, may be an improvement. Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mental attic is a comment that I read about using a synthetic for protection, and a carnauba for appearance. Can`t remember what specific brands were being discussed.

The car I`d most like to experiment on is my Volt, as it isn`t being hit as hard by the tree sap mist. If I ended up with some incompatible combo, no big deal. However, the car is white (not even metallic), and it is difficult to see if any product is better than another. It currently is covered with a very old product that I found in the back of my garage called "Finish First". The stuff is by far the slickest that I`ve used. Other than that, I know little about it. But maybe it is a candidate for layering.....

Hans.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you used 845 and have got the tree sap mists on it? How did it do compared to the fk1000p if so?

As you will have the abilities from the 845 if you top of the fk1000p with it. Or any other topper for that matter. You could get problems with the tree sap mists again. But as you just knowing that and still wants to experiment just go ahead. From what I have been reading the 845 and the fk1000p is very alike on the finish you get from them. And I`m not sure that 845 has carnuaba in it. It just says to be leaving a carnuaba shine. Can be wrong though but think I have read about it somewhere and if reading the product description on Collinite site. It`s a difference on how they describe 476s and 845 but on the other hand they basicly describe 845 as a liquid version of 476s LOL. Either way it`s a great protection.

Since you have had problems with these tree sap mists. I would wait until you have done a couple of washes with fk1000p and see if you get any difference from the ease of washing the paint. And how it`s go when you have topped it with 845.

If you are after a carnuaba glow look. I would look at 915 as it`s a higher amount of carnuaba in it than 476s and that you like to wax your car. Otherwise the ease of use with most spray waxes today is great. And also if not so good on the fk1000p they don`t have the longer longevity from it that 845 has. Also give a thought about FK425 QD as a synergy thing and seems to be a great product as well. Is it FK Pink Wax the more for show from FK that also could be an option to try out?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what brought this to mind is comments by some in favor of layering different products..
    Unless somebody has definite, *first-hand-verified* reasons for doing otherwise, I`d just find a single LSP that does what you like and stick with that, reapplying before it`s really necessary.

The FK Pink Wax was developed as a topper, for those who insisted on a "wax-like look". Or rather, IMO...to get $ out of those people. Reminds me of how the guys at Collinite sounded regarding 915, which none of them were using on their own cars last time I spoke with them (OK, that was ages ago and things change).

Eh, I dunno whether any conventional LSP will hold up to tree sap mist...I just haven`t dealt with it enough to have an informed opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting old thread as a follow up.....

Quick summary of OP and some of the replies: I have trees that seem to emit a fine mist of tree sap. Leaves the paint feeling like sandpaper, and it etches the paint. Not good. I was looking for something to serve mostly as a protectant, if it looks good that`s just a bonus. FK1000 was recommended. Applied early last spring, 2nd coat in March. A quick 3rd coat on the hood and parts of roof most exposed somewhere around early April. Car gets rarely washed, for practical reasons - heat, no shady place to wash, me not liking to wash a big truck, etc.

So.... Today was the first shady day with reasonable temps. Car looked surprisingly good, considering its neglect. Soaked it with a hose. Water slid off, leaving "microbeads" of water. Hmm... Impressive. By feel, the paint was like sandpaper in places with the sap mist. Washed with Zaino Z7 soap (it`s what I have....). *ALL* tree sap was gone. Water beading, etc. seem to show that the FK1000 is still there. It seemed to provide a slick enough layer that the Z7 "slid" the sap off.

I haven`t tried other soaps, I have lots of Z7 and it seems to work well without removing any waxes/coatings.

Anyway, FK1000 seems to provide great long lasting protection.

Hans.
    Likes Coleroad, SWETM, bigltc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting old thread as a follow up.....

Quick summary of OP and some of the replies: I have trees that seem to emit a fine mist of tree sap. Leaves the paint feeling like sandpaper, and it etches the paint. Not good. I was looking for something to serve mostly as a protectant, if it looks good that`s just a bonus. FK1000 was recommended. Applied early last spring, 2nd coat in March. A quick 3rd coat on the hood and parts of roof most exposed somewhere around early April. Car gets rarely washed, for practical reasons - heat, no shady place to wash, me not liking to wash a big truck, etc.

So.... Today was the first shady day with reasonable temps. Car looked surprisingly good, considering its neglect. Soaked it with a hose. Water slid off, leaving "microbeads" of water. Hmm... Impressive. By feel, the paint was like sandpaper in places with the sap mist. Washed with Zaino Z7 soap (it`s what I have....). *ALL* tree sap was gone. Water beading, etc. seem to show that the FK1000 is still there. It seemed to provide a slick enough layer that the Z7 "slid" the sap off.

I haven`t tried other soaps, I have lots of Z7 and it seems to work well without removing any waxes/coatings.

Anyway, FK1000 seems to provide great long lasting protection.

Hans.
    What kind of trees are producing the fine mist? Our pecantrees produce a fine mist but only at certain times of the year. Inquiring minds...

Post Thanks / Like

4regt4- Thanks for posting back! Oh man, I`m *so* glad the FK1000P performed for you the way it does for me!

(Hey folks, 4regt4 isn`t the only Autopian who lets FK`ed vehicles go for *months* without even washing )

Yeah, good soaps do clean up FK1000P really well without stripping it (my 3D and GG ones don`t strip it either) even when mixed really strong. But I`d still get another fresh coat of the FK on there next time you have the chance.

Oh boy, I love it when we find a solution to problems like this
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information