Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A Ceramic Coating Experiment - Observations with Videos & Photos included

This write up is to capture my observations and the behavior of various coatings. This is not a scientific test but rather an experiment based on my curiosity of what happens to a coating during it’s “curing window.” I did this because I had a couple coatings starting to crystallize within the bottle. I also had some left over product that would be enough for this experiment. So why not put them to use instead of throwing them out and learn things.

This is not to prove whether a coating is good or bad but rather what happens to them if they are left exposed to the air. By doing so it brings up some questions such as

How long would it take the coating to harden/crystallize?

Would the coating even harden?

How much coating remains once the carrier solvents evaporate?

Again this experiment has its flaws. One flaw is that a thin layer is applied to paint so the curing window would in theory occur faster with the carrier solvents evaporating quicker.

So I started off by reusing some bottle caps from products that I have used up. I tend to save the bottle caps for some odd reason so I put them to use. Each cap was filled with product and let to sit. From here it was just a matter of observing what occurs over days. I plan to leave them for a week (7 days). If a coating hardens before that time frame then I am calling it done. Although coatings continue to harden longer than the 7 day curing window.

Day 1 consisted of me pouring product into the bottle cap.

Coatings to be observed

Gtechniq Exo V3

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light

CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0

CarPro Cquartz TiO2 (aka Classic)

CarPro Cquartz UK 2.0

Gyeon Mohs

Gyeon CanCoat

Gyeon Rim

Gyeon Trim

CarPro DLUX

Update 1 observations:

CarPro DLUX had begun the curing process. Within 30 mins it had started to turn into a gel format. Gyeon Trim was starting as well. It had started to turn into a gel but was more wet than DLUX. Right behind these was Gyeon Rim.

The other coatings had stayed in liquid form.

Video showcasing the products being poured into containers. Nothing exciting in this particular video.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Ceramic Coating Experiment - Observations with Videos & Photos included

Udate 2 observations:

It has roughly been 24 hours at this point.

Gtechniq Exo V3 – Started to form a film on the top layer

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light – cloudy appearance with a thin layer of film in certain areas.

CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 – Had begun to turn into a hard gel. Tacky feeling to the surface.

CarPro Cquartz TiO2 (aka Classic) – Had formed a flexible glass like film on the top layer.

CarPro Cquartz UK 2.0 – Had begun to turn into a gel and tacky feeling. Similar to CQUK 3.0.

Gyeon Mohs – Had formed a slight film on the top surface. Similar to Exo V3.

Gyeon CanCoat – Started to turn into a gel. Rubber type feel.

Gyeon Rim – Had started to turn to quartz.

Gyeon Trim – Had started to turn to quartz.

CarPro DLUX – Had started to turn to quartz.

Day 2 Video

Likes Strong66, Drblatz, SWETM, Tc99m, rlmccarty2000 and 4 others liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guz, you have out done yourself, nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz, Stokdgs, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent. Thanks.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool experiment Guz!

One thing that I think will be interesting to see. Is if it`s a difference to the clarity between them. If you are able to get the little puck of coating out of the caps. And also if you could save them after the 7 days test. Then get your thoughts if it`s have cured even harder after a month. To see if it hardens even more after a month or so.

Thanks for shareing your experiment with us Guz! And will be fun to follow

/Tony
    Likes The Guz, Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Cool experiment Guz!

One thing that I think will be interesting to see. Is if it`s a difference to the clarity between them. If you are able to get the little puck of coating out of the caps. And also if you could save them after the 7 days test. Then get your thoughts if it`s have cured even harder after a month. To see if it hardens even more after a month or so.

Thanks for shareing your experiment with us Guz! And will be fun to follow

/Tony
    You are ahead of me as I am a day behind getting my video up.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update 3 Observations:

It has been roughly 36 hours at this point.

I did remove the disk from some of them that appeared to be ready. Although not easy as the ridges within the bottle cap make it a bit difficult to get it out in one piece. The areas that either have thicker coating or had air pockets trapped give the appearance of being cloudy. Sort of how a high spot looks on paint.

Gtechniq Exo V3 – Still crystallizing.

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light – No change from day 2.

CarPro Cquartz TiO2 (aka Classic) – Bottom layer is still a bit wet but the top layer has hardened more since day 2.

Gyeon Mohs – Not much change since day 2.

Gyeon CanCoat – Has hardened more since day 2. Still a bit wet on the bottom layer. Still feels a bit soft.

CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 – Quartz material removed. Still tacky feeling but has hardened. Will set aside until the last day to get an idea of how it feels after 7 days.

CarPro Cquartz UK 2.0 – Similar behavior to CQUK 3.0. Will set aside until the last day to get an idea of how it feels after 7 days.

Gyeon Rim – Quartz material removed from container. Will set aside until the last day to get an idea of how it feels after 7 days.

Gyeon Trim – Quartz material removed from container. Will set aside until the last day to get an idea of how it feels after 7 days.

CarPro DLUX – Quartz material removed from container. Will set aside until the last day to get an idea of how it feels after 7 days.

Video Day 3

Likes tropicsteve, GearHead_1, Stokdgs, SWETM, Loach and 2 others liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1, BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs, SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool indeed. I’ve enjoyed following this.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting experiment. Thanks for documenting and sharing. Any information on coatings is helpful and educational.

I’ve been thinking about coatings a lot lately, probably too much and I think pure hardness in a coating may be overrated. There needs to be some flexibility to combat shrinkage and brittleness. A two part coating with a softer base and a harder topcoat may be the best way to go. I’m assuming some of the newer self healing coatings fall into a two part category. I would love to have a conversation with a chemical engineer involved in coating development.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz, SWETM, JustJesus liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Interesting experiment. Thanks for documenting and sharing. Any information on coatings is helpful and educational.

I’ve been thinking about coatings a lot lately, probably too much and I think pure hardness in a coating may be overrated. There needs to be some flexibility to combat shrinkage and brittleness. A two part coating with a softer base and a harder topcoat may be the best way to go. I’m assuming some of the newer self healing coatings fall into a two part category. I would love to have a conversation with a chemical engineer involved in coating development.
    Mi Amigo !

I hear that Dr. David Ghodoussi, the Owner of Optimum Technologies is sometimes available to talk with..
    They are located in Memphis, Tenn..

Optimum Polymer Technologies, Inc.
    4130 Senator Street Memphis, TN 38118 USA

Phone : 1-901-363-4955

Email : info@optimumcarcare.com

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Mi Amigo !

I hear that Dr. David Ghodoussi, the Owner of Optimum Technologies is sometimes available to talk with..
    They are located in Memphis, Tenn..

Optimum Polymer Technologies, Inc.
    4130 Senator Street Memphis, TN 38118 USA

Phone : 1-901-363-4955

Email : info@optimumcarcare.com

Dan F
    Thanks Dan, his name came to mind. I wonder how busy he is? Do you know of any recent articles on coating manufacture? Most companies don’t discuss their processes or future plans for fear of copying and much of the industry is outside of the US and in foreign languages. It is difficult to learn much of anything, besides marketing hype, about coatings.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Thanks Dan, his name came to mind. I wonder how busy he is? Do you know of any recent articles on coating manufacture? Most companies don’t discuss their processes or future plans for fear of copying and much of the industry is outside of the US and in foreign languages. It is difficult to learn much of anything, besides marketing hype, about coatings.
    RL,
    Perhaps get on the Optimum Forum and ask around; they will know more for sure..
    I would still call and see what happens..
    Yes, all the coatings people are mostly in other countries unfortunately...
    And yet, here is probably the very FIRST coating manufacturer, and they are located in Memphis...
    Another place to check is DI - they seemed to have more info on Optimum products for some reason...
    All I have heard for years is that he dealt with automotive paint, and is a car guy besides, so that really helps in my opinion..
    If I see him next week at SEMA, what do you want me to ask him ?
    Dan F
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great experiment! Thanks for taking the time to do this and post up your results. Very interesting!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Update 4 Observations:

It has been roughly 48 hours at this point.

So I accidentally spilled Mohs from it`s container so it will be sitting out for the remainder of this experiment. I may do another round with possibly the interior leather coatings and toppers (Gliss, Skin).

We are down to a few coatings as the others will sit on the sidelines until the 7th day.

CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 – Sitting on the sidelines until the final day to determine if it has gotten harder.

CarPro Cquartz TiO2 (aka Classic) – Looks to be close to finally hardening and being able to be pulled out of the container. Forgot to take a photo of it but can be seen in the video.

CarPro Cquartz UK 2.0 – Sitting on the sidelines until the final day to determine if it has gotten harder.

Gyeon Mohs – Spilled container so this one is out. Was not doing much other than retaining that film on the top layer.

Gyeon Rim – Sitting on the sidelines until the final day to determine if it has gotten harder.

Gyeon Trim – Sitting on the sidelines until the final day to determine if it has gotten harder.

CarPro DLUX – Sitting on the sidelines until the final day to determine if it has gotten harder.

Gtechniq Exo V3 – Still crystallizing. Top layer has become firmer but yet flexible.

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light – No change since day 2. This is odd behavior as I expected CSL to harden. Especially since the coating had started to crystallize within the bottle that was opened a few months ago.

Gyeon CanCoat – Removed from the container. It has hardened but it is soft. It feels like it is packed powdered silica. Was not expecting it to turn white as it goes on clear on paint.

Video Day 4

Likes SWETM, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that the film of coatings that is left has developed a seal. So the carrier products can not evaporate when this film has developed. And that`s why it`s not hardens through the cap. Just a thought

Agree that the look of CanCoat is interesting to be turning white and almost powder. Wonders if it has to do with the lower Sio2 in it. So it`s not makes the air tight seal. And then cause it to let air in it to form this when it`s poured in a cap.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information