Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soaps : What`s your daily

I`ve tried Optimum`s Car Wash (soap) , but it did not "work" well with our Lake Michigan limestone-laiden sourced Green Bay municipal water and left streaks behind when it dried on the windows. However, I must blame part of that problem on myself , as drying my vehicle with a leaf-blower may be the culprit and then wiping the windows with a less-than-quality drying towel. I did try mixing Optimum No-Rinse with it to mitigate this "problem", but it seemed kind of counter-intuitive for a 2-bucket wash and was just not cost-effective. It`s cleaning-ability is very good, especially on road film.
    I have been using Meg`s Detailer Line D110 Hyperwash after seeing Autopian All-Star RaskyR1 use it in his detailing business, and it has worked OK for me, even with our municipal hard water. The suds last FOREVER!
    My favorite wash though is Meg`s Professional No. 62 Carwash Shampoo and Conditioner. After reading that a major car museum used this for its collection, I thought it would be good enough for my daily drivers. It is still my favorite maintenance soap and works pretty good in hard(er) water. The problem is the cost: about $37.00 for gallon. Compare that to $27.00 for Hyperwash, and its a no-brainer. It`s lubricity is very good, but if you have a lot of road-film, it was not as good as Optimum Car Wash. The smell is extremely pleasant and not too perfumey or fruity.

I also have to admit that for my daily drivers that I wash, using Poorboy`s Bug Squash to pre-treat nasty late spring and summer bug splatter is almost a necessity and it makes short work of that washing problem, especially when it has been a while since the last wash and those bug guts have dried on to the front bumper fascia or the door side mirror covers. It will not, however, remove the etching that comers from leaving bug guts on paint/clear-coat for too long. I have told vehicle owners to wash the bugs off as-soon-as-possible, even if they use less-than Autopian-approved washing techniques to reduce or mitigate the etching that can and does occur from leaving bug guts on paint/CC for too long. Wash-induced swirls I can get remove; deep etching I cannot.

Also, if you cannot avoid having to wash cars in the sun, I HIGHLY suggest you check out this thread:
    Soap In The Sun
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, I`m always surprised when Autopians like GC.
    the thing I don`t like about gold class, is what it leaves behind. It changes the characteristics of your lisp, and not for the better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    I thought 3D Pink was junk. Didn`t really understand why people liked it.
    I like it because it has great lubricity and (as best I can tell) encapsulation, cleans well, rinses easily, and doesn`t degrade my LSPs. After a few washes with it mixed into my Griot`s, there was an obvious, unmistakable improvement in how the car looked. It was just "cleaner" looking even though it was fine before...I finally decided that no, I`m not imagining it, this really is better. It`s not as big an improvement as I got from using IUDJ as my Drying Aid, but it`s something. When I use that mix on the wheels/undercarriage instead of my spray bottle of older/also-ran shampoo mix, those areas come clean better/quicker too, enough so that I no longer use APCs.

What I *don`t* like about it is that it can be a little tough to get mixed with water into a concentrate compared to some shampoos, and seems to come out of solution a little if the concentrate is left sitting around for too long. Neither is an actual/functional issue (just shake some more), but I can understand if somebody finds such stuff a deal-breaker.

JVD- What don`t *you* like about it? I`m not arguing or challenging your opinion or anything like that, but I am genuinely curious why you don`t like it. INoting that you`re using Reset, I suspect that we`re after different things when we choose our shampoos, but I`m still curious anyhow.
    Likes JVD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I felt Gold Class was great compared to other OTC car washes you find in store. Then I tried others like Poorboys and Optimum... After that, if faded into the background. While it work just, OK, I found the lubricity and cleaning ability to not be as good as others.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Hey, it`s great to see that somebody else appreciates the M62! I`ll miss the scent of it when I finally use mine up..who knows, I might end up buying more.

How would you compare the D110 Hyperwash to the M62? If I like the latter, do you think I`d consider the D110 OK for wheels/wells/undercarriages?

Oh, and I guess I oughta say something about how FK1000P lets me leave bugs/etc. on for months and then wash `em off with no etching, but since YMMV and you already know what you`re using on the customer`s cars I`ll just stay quiet about it Sorry, couldn`t resist..

Coleroad- Ah, that`s interesting about the GC messing with your LSP. I guess I didn`t give it enough use to notice that, and/or it didn`t matter much once I was just using it up doing the underneath.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see this thread and everyone`s responses.....finally going through my (2nd) gallon of McKees Extreme Foam (got it at a very very good price), and I`ve been looking for my next one. Anyone have any experience with the new 3D Super Soap?

Post Thanks / Like

I always find it interesting when people highly value "suds and foam". Me...eh, not so much even though there`s some kind of psychological/emotional appeal to seeing such stuff. I simply can`t see the functional benefit to having *lots* of such stuff, although yeah a bit oughta help with the lifting/encapsulation and would *NOT* like a "flat shampoo" by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    ... Anyone have any experience with the new 3D Super Soap?
    Ah, yeah..that`s the one I was wondering about!

Post Thanks / Like

I looked. Memory ain`t good but it`s $90 on a jug on the 3D.
    Paging ACC. How`s about some samples

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I looked. Memory ain`t good but it`s $90 on a jug on the 3D.
    Paging ACC. How`s about some samples
    https://www.autogeek.net/3d-super-soap.html
    Autogeek has it. It`s only 64 oz though. I haven`t done the math on cost per wash but it`s .5 oz to 5 gallons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dove For Men, the one with the blue label, that`s mine.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

JVD- What don`t *you* like about it? I`m not arguing or challenging your opinion or anything like that, but I am genuinely curious why you don`t like it. INoting that you`re using Reset, I suspect that we`re after different things when we choose our shampoos, but I`m still curious anyhow.
    It was so long ago that I don`t remember details. I do know that I`m sitting on a bottle of it(not gallon). Maybe I`ll give it another shot.

From what I recall I didn`t find it as slick as the other mentioned soaps. Enough so that I didn`t want to continue using it.

All I really look for in a shampoo is lubricity, clean rinse and pleasant scent. It`s more of a feel thing I suppose. Not interested in gloss enhancers or additional protection. Washing, for me, is just sort of a feel thing. Nothing scientific. If something about a particular mitt, towel, shampoo, etc. throws me off I stop using it. For some reason this fell in that category for me.

It should also be mentioned that I`m a hobbyist and don`t typically consider cost per use as some here would.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Dove For Men, the one with the blue label, that`s mine.
    Well, I`ll be...Dove does actually do that `for men` thing, eh? Now the real question is are you using the old-school and very manly bar of soap or that metrosexual and oh-so-trendy body wash nonsense? I`ve heard tell that the body wash bottle fits better in a `Murse` though so that may be a consideration if you`re prone to toting a man-bag around.

OK, probably shoulda stopped a few posts above with `Gyeon Bathe`.

Post Thanks / Like

JVD- I understand completely about trying to remember what you didn`t like about something ages ago!

Funny though, I too *greatly* prize lubricity and/but I thought the Pink Car Soap was good in that regard! I`m with you when it comes to the "enhancers"/etc., just give me some good, SAFE, cleaning that rinses away easily.

And IMO you`re being more scientific about it than you`re giving yourself credit for When something`s not right you`re recognizing it and making changes to fix that. The "feel" isn`t just some psych nonsense IMO, tactile feedback and subjective evaluations are perfectly valid when it comes to "touching the vehicle".

I gotta give some thought to the cost, if only because I go through so much with my nutty wash regimen

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, I`m always surprised when Autopians like GC.
    It`s not as slick as some boutique brands but it sure does cut through grime well. I blast off dirt with the pressure washer so I don`t care about lubricity.

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I also use Megs 62, but I also use Meg`s 00. Have you had any experience with it, and what was your impression?
    Thanks
    Jay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information