Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Looking for products to protect my wheels

Dear all,

I have been away from detailing scene for a while, and I realized there are a lot new products on the market.
    I`m now looking for a product that would help to protect my wheels.

I plan to jack up the car, take the wheels off, thorough cleaning, apply the protection.
    The wheels in question are:
    1. factory painted Mercedes-Benz wheels
    2. factory polished Subaru wheels
    3. aftermarket Enkei alloy wheels

I believe the 2 factory wheels are tough, but the Enkei one is more delicate aluminum wheels.
    I was thinking to buy McKees 37 wheel coating, or just stick with a good paste wax like Collinite 476 885 or Soft99 Fusso Coat?
    I cant find any details on whether these products are compatible with alum wheels or not.
    So any tips or experience sharing will be appreciated!
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for products to protect my wheels

Any wheel coating will work to give you that longer protection. Factory wheels are clear coated. You will have to find out if those enkei`s are clear coated or not.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

McKees Wheel Coating....you may thank me later

Post Thanks / Like

I would just use Hydro2 every other wash, much easier and stronger than wax. Wheel coatings are nice but take way to much time and probably need more refreshing than what they advertise.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I used McKee`s wheel coating and then would touch it up with Hydro Blue every once in a while. I`m not sure if there is a more durable option out there than McKee`s, but it sure was a lot of work for not a very long duration.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use Gyeon Wet Coat or CarPro Hydro2 which are spray on/ rinse off protection products. They should work on all types of rim finishes. I have used them on clear coated, powder coated, chrome plated etc. without any issue.

If I am doing a full wheels off cleaning and coating then I will coat with something like Gyeon Rim or Cquartz Dlux then maintain with Gyeon WetCoat or CarPro Hydro2 every month.

Polish Angel Super Sport is also a nice option for a wheel coating and is in between a full on wheel coating and a spray/rinse product. I have seen 4 months or so of durability before it started to fade on my DD from my testing and that was without any maintenance spray or reapplication. Depending on how much you drive your car you could get the full 6 months or more. this is a PTFE based product too with titanium dioxide and just adds a nice look to wheels as well.

If you are going to do a wheels off and going through the process of cleaning and prepping the wheels as mentioned then definitely look into a specific wheel coating as mentioned. Top up with something like PA Super Sport every few months. You should have great results.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d never go without a wheel coating again. Single biggest time saver for me during a wash. Does take a bit of time to prep/coat wheels but once done, ease of maintenance far exceeds initial labor. 14 months, 24k miles in NE Ohio and coating is still holding up well. Recently started occasional application of PA SuperSport, more for the interesting look it lends to the non-painted, clear-coated bare aluminum sections of wheel as opposed to protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    I used McKee`s wheel coating and then would touch it up with Hydro Blue every once in a while. I`m not sure if there is a more durable option out there than McKee`s, but it sure was a lot of work for not a very long duration.
    I’ve only coated wheels a few times, so just making sure I prepped correctly. I used wheel cleaner, finishing polish, then 3 quick wipe downs with Prep Spray then coated. The other set so only cleaned and used Prep polish and coated. Wasn’t too, too bad. Are these the only steps?

Post Thanks / Like

Go with McKees Wheel Coating. You should get 1 year of durability. Just wash with soap and water, no wheel cleaners.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s my problem with these wheel coatings, I`m using a dedicated wheel cleaner. I`m not spending more time to scrub than I have to, it really makes no sense to coat wheels other than maybe looks or if you have carbon ceramics (Your just using soap an water only anyways).

Coat wheels = you ca`t use a dedicated wheel cleaner like sonax which cuts time an thus more scrubbing is required.
    No coat = less scrubbing, more effective wheel cleaner (Potentially more expensive though) an use hydro2 or another water based sealant.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    That`s my problem with these wheel coatings, I`m using a dedicated wheel cleaner. I`m not spending more time to scrub than I have to, it really makes no sense to coat wheels other than maybe looks or if you have carbon ceramics (Your just using soap an water only anyways).

Coat wheels = you ca`t use a dedicated wheel cleaner like sonax which cuts time an thus more scrubbing is required.
    No coat = less scrubbing, more effective wheel cleaner (Potentially more expensive though) an use hydro2 or another water based sealant.
    The purpose of the wheel coating is that you dont have to spend time scrubbing or using powerful wheel cleaners. However most of these wheel cleaning products like sonax wheel cleaner plus are Ph neutral so they aren`t really going to cause any issue if you want to continue to use them on coated wheels though with mine soap and water and a pressure washer often gets them pretty clean without any scrubbing on the faces. Usually the barrels just need a quick wheel woolie scrub.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    The purpose of the wheel coating is that you dont have to spend time scrubbing or using powerful wheel cleaners. However most of these wheel cleaning products like sonax wheel cleaner plus are Ph neutral so they aren`t really going to cause any issue if you want to continue to use them on coated wheels though with mine soap and water and a pressure washer often gets them pretty clean without any scrubbing on the faces. Usually the barrels just need a quick wheel woolie scrub.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Amen. With coated wheels you save money by NOT having to use an expensive wheel cleaner. Most of the time my pressure washer get the wheels clean without scrubbing and I’ve got BMW brake dust.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, RaydiantDetail, Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

IGL wheel coating works wonders and if you feel the need to use a wheel cleaner Mckees foaming wheel cleaner gel is safe on that coating. But I have found that with regular maintenance on coated wheels the need for a strong cleaner isn`t really necessary.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand you shouldn`t *need* to use a dedicated wheel cleaner on a coated wheel but I`d hope a wheel coating would be chemically resistant enough to stand up to any autopian-grade wheel cleaner you`d throw at it. Think after a long winter and you want a little chemical help bringing them back to life. Though if shampoo + wheel woolies is enough to revive a filthy but coated wheel then I might be sold...

Post Thanks / Like

Amen. With coated wheels you save money by NOT having to use an expensive wheel cleaner. Most of the time my pressure washer get the wheels clean without scrubbing and I’ve got BMW brake dust.
    Oh yeah me too. BMW brake dust. Its some of the worst!
    When I swicth out my pads ill probably get some EBC pads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information