Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PPF...the good, the bad and the ugly?

PPF is ALWAYS the way to go if you have a rare car, a car you care for, new car and you know a great installer. Knowing a great installer is key, the horrors I`ve seen from poor jobs are what really make or break the decision. I personally have 2 of my cars done, both full front end, A pillars, half sunroof + door handles and tailgates. It`s just so much better than OEM brittle paint, even helps against door dings.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also see how they "tuck panels". I`ll take a video this weekend for you of both my cars point out what works and why as well as the differences between the films. I have both Suntek and Xpel Ultimate they are definitely different.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes mobiledynamics, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is that due to the difference in thickness/hard vs softer ppf, and whether they can tuck and seal in one vs. relief cuts ?

I`m okay with either methods , but what does count is those tucked edges are adhered to the paint one hundo....otherwise over time, dirt, etc seems to find its way.

Ha, if Accumulator saw how they stretch and pull or squeege a full wrap hood with contours, he might have a heart attack on the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Ha, if Accumulator saw how they stretch and pull or squeege a full wrap hood with contours, he might have a heart attack on the process.
    Heh heh heh...that was good. But actually, I`m OK with processes that might *seem* terrible but are actually OK. With the PPF between the paint and the squeegee and the latter wielded properly, I`d expect a *GOOD* installer wouldn`t even mar Jet Black.

But there`s the (usual) rub..how to find somebody who really *IS* good. Just like with most everything else, I`m simply unable to find competent people to do, well...much of anything.

Post Thanks / Like

What what about the infliction of whats happening on the squeegee and film ;-)
    It really is quite the sight for us paint - no marring nerds - if you see 4-5 guys on a full wrap hood. 1 guy maybe doing the stretch/pull/tension, another apply heat via steamer or even flushing/spraying with hot water off the tap, and then 3 guys very Vigorously squeezing ever nook, cranny and curve so that film hugs every contour.

It`s kinda like going to the dentist. You don`t want to open your eyes and see what he`s coming with a needle....
    You`d rather just see the final results

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, guess this is veering more and more into one of those things where "oh, [Accumulator] is just....different..." (to put it nicely)!

As long as I`m intellectually onboard with a process, and trust they guys to do it right, I wouldn`t mind watching that at all. In fact, I`d insist on it just as I usually do with most anything like that. I can watch for those little tells that mean "uh-oh, wonder if he noticed.."

It`s like... "Why would I be nervous? SHOULD I be nervous? SHOULD I lack confidence in you?!?"

They *CAN* do that PPFing without marring, right? Not that I want any big areas done, but I still wouldn`t want any issues...I mean, we assume that all the PPF jobs we see here went 100% fine, but you know how I am about anything on the internet that I haven`t seen with my own eyes. And IRL I just don`t see acceptable work out of, well...much of anybody in any automotive area. Sad but true, with very few exceptions.

AND, hey...Dentists? That`s another of those topics...I have zero issues with it. These days Dentistry seems to have the whole pain management thing pretty well sorted out (and eh, I`m kinda fanatical about Oral Hygiene anyhow).

And with injections, I insist on watching. Makes it a zillion times better/easier for me, basically just an interesting experience these days what with such small-gauge needles for most things.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. You know it`s just one big JK when I type this. Personally, I`m the latter. I don`t like it when people stand over me when I work and I get its human nature....so when work is being done on my stuff (whether it be a contractor, mechanic) etc, I don`t stand over them. Eh, my my mechanic, I suppose it`s different as we`re practically friends/brothers at this point so I`m in the shop shooting the ```` while he or his tech is working. And man, knowing how the PPF get`s some rough squeeging, I`m the complete opposite. I`d prefer to not see it being installed. ~eeks~.

Sorry BP. Last response. Took this OT.
    I really hope you find a PPF installer you like. It`s a huge market of installers out there

Post Thanks / Like

Is that due to the difference in thickness/hard vs softer ppf, and whether they can tuck and seal in one vs. relief cuts ?

I`m okay with either methods , but what does count is those tucked edges are adhered to the paint one hundo....otherwise over time, dirt, etc seems to find its way.

I`m still new and learning with PPF but I was surprised last night by how much stretch was required to get the film to suck into this back hatch and lay flat on the top....and this is nothing compared to some of the jobs Ive seen guys do.

Likes The Driver liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. You know it`s just one big JK when I type this. Personally, I`m the latter. I don`t like it when people stand over me when I work and I get its human nature....so when work is being done on my stuff (whether it be a contractor, mechanic) etc, I don`t stand over them. Eh, my my mechanic, I suppose it`s different as we`re practically friends/brothers at this point so I`m in the shop shooting the ```` while he or his tech is working. And man, knowing how the PPF get`s some rough squeeging, I`m the complete opposite. I`d prefer to not see it being installed. ~eeks~.

Sorry BP. Last response. Took this OT.
    I really hope you find a PPF installer you like. It`s a huge market of installers out there
    No worries...any discussion even marginally relevant is valuable and worthwhile. I`ve got a pretty good idea that the installer will do well, definitely not their first rodeo. Have seen their completed work, both current and past, talked with the owners of some of those cars who have no complaints or issues. At the end of the day, though, sometimes ya just gotta roll the dice I guess.

All good fun regardless, new frontiers and all...

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Rasky. Was that a 4 hand job or solo. I love WIP pics more than finished pics

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Rasky. Was that a 4 hand job or solo. I love WIP pics more than finished pics
    Thanks!

I tried it myself the first attempt and was left with some fingers up top by the glass. While I was able to get it down I ended up with some adhesive disturbance so I pulled it off, cut a new piece, and had the wife help me stretch it the 2nd time. I did the front bumper last night and used steam on it just before stretching and that made it sooooo much easier.

It`s nice finding some PPF groups where guys are willing to help with tips and tricks, much like this forum used to be back in it`s prime.
    Likes SWETM, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, does your stem do injector - aka, more water output than just ~high steam~

Another technique I`ve seen seen is not steam but literally they have dedicated small 12 gallonish hot water water tanks and they do a slow flood as the other ~guys~ are mandhadeling the film , stretching, squeezing away. I think the benefit to this is that it`s the film is ~consistent~ pliable. I may be way wrong.....as I`m not a PPF installer

re: prime. Yeah. I wonder if everyones hit a plateau since the market has been flooded with soooooo many products. Ha. Remember when I used to ~import~ menzerna polishes that I could not get here stateside. The funny thing is regardless of products, the technique or process flow is still required...
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, does your stem do injector - aka, more water output than just ~high steam~

Another technique I`ve seen seen is not steam but literally they have dedicated small 12 gallonish hot water water tanks and they do a slow flood as the other ~guys~ are mandhadeling the film , stretching, squeezing away. I think the benefit to this is that it`s the film is ~consistent~ pliable. I may be way wrong.....as I`m not a PPF installer

re: prime. Yeah. I wonder if everyones hit a plateau since the market has been flooded with soooooo many products. Ha. Remember when I used to ~import~ menzerna polishes that I could not get here stateside. The funny thing is regardless of products, the technique or process flow is still required...
    I`m just using a cheap McCulloch steamer for now. It`s pretty wet steam though.

Seems like a lot of detailers now days keep their cards close as competition has exploded over the years, which I`m sure is the same for PPF and tint.
    Likes mobiledynamics liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- If you do find somebody good in NE Ohio, I sure hope you post back about it.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    BudgetPlan1- If you do find somebody good in NE Ohio, I sure hope you post back about it.
    Not quite NE Ohio but planning to have Esoteric do it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information