Post Thanks / Like

Interior Products YELLOWING

So on that other PPF thread, where it got me thinking about those who don`t know any better so you can`t fault them per se.....

Coatings for interiors have been on the market for some time. I only have 1 year on them under my belt.
    With that said, any know or possible issues with such semi-permanent products YELLOWING over time.

The reality is, even good/great stuff yellows.
    Case in point, epoxy grout. I love this stuff to death. I once had a guest drop a glass of red wine in our laundry room. Anyhow, the white epoxy grout did not stain. However, it`s known amongst the trade circles that if exposed to sun, the white be not that white - but weathers white/yellow over time.

Which got me thinking. Has anyone seen interior coatings exhibit a perceived noticeable yellow change over time on white/extreme light auto interiors ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Products YELLOWING

mobiledynamics- Hey, great Q! I`ve also wondered about what you`re supposed to do with the "dead stuff that`s already on there" when it`s time to redo.

It`s like when somebody airbrushes a coating onto an intricate surface because "you could never do it by hand"; how do you then prep it for the next coating?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a fan of exterior coatings after using them on my fleet. Was skeptical, but the ease of washing really is a great benefit. Interior coatings, I just don`t see the benefit. For fabric interiors, some kind of repellent for sure. But with modern leathers/plastics/carpets does the coating actually do anything? Keep it clean and quick wipe down with some kind of UV protection and good to go. Would love to hear success stories with interior coatings that show their value.

Post Thanks / Like

For coatings on interiors yes.
    For white leather and RAW jeans - I was going as far as needing to use a high PH cleaner - in the realm of 11 or 14 if I recalls....it`s been ages.
    The obviously lots of water rinse wipedowns, etc post cleaning.
    And that process was non stop.

I usually get by with most leathers with just water spritz wipedowns.
    Said coatings on leather and dye issue, water spritz wipedowns get me about 85% there. Sometimes I will need to use a lite interior cleaner in order to get the other 15%. I was a skeptic as well. There is a slight color change , sheen change and also *feel* change. However, the benefits outweigh the cons of the 3.

For me, I would coat troublesome light interiors, but for dark leathers, I would probably skip them - aka, only use them for a specific application use sorta deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    For white leather and RAW jeans..
    For me, I would coat troublesome light interiors, but for dark leathers, I would probably skip them - aka, only use them for a specific application use sorta deal.
    Oh man, the stuff you Pros have to go through simply astounds me. "Those aren`t appropriate garments to wear in this particular vehicle." Problem solved. But ya can`t just tell some customer that....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    For white leather and RAW jeans - I was going as far as needing to use a high PH cleaner - in the realm of 11 or 14 if I recalls....it`s been ages.
    The obviously lots of water rinse wipedowns, etc post cleaning.
    And that process was non stop.

I usually get by with most leathers with just water spritz wipedowns.
    Said coatings on leather and dye issue, water spritz wipedowns get me about 85% there. Sometimes I will need to use a lite interior cleaner in order to get the other 15%. I was a skeptic as well. There is a slight color change , sheen change and also *feel* change. However, the benefits outweigh the cons of the 3.

Good point on the light leather interiors.

Thread Information