Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Essence & CQuartz UK 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    Do you use this as a drying aid? Is this how I should maintain my CQUK/Gliss-coated car for durability?
    Yup use it as a drying aid/ gloss enhancer. It would provide some extra protection due to the reload. I can`t say how durable it is but I use it every 2 to 3 weeks so it`s really not an issue. I use it on the wheels as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Likes someidiot, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Is adding a top coat really that much different than using a maintenance spray sealant? Just another thought.
    They are similar as you are changing the water repellant properties but different in cost, durability, time to install, gloss. For me it’s like adding another layer of a less durable coating over your “super” durable coating. What are you supposed to do when this softer layer gets marred? You can’t just polish it off, you have to replace the entire coating. For a maintenance spray I just either reapply or wait for it to wear off. These new top coats may wear off, but I doubt they wear off evenly over the vehicle. If you are only keeping your coating for a year like me then top coating is ok because it provides more gloss. It may even make more sense to skip the coating and only apply the Top Coat. The stuff is so new I haven’t even thought about that.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    They are similar as you are changing the water repellant properties but different in cost, durability, time to install, gloss. For me it’s like adding another layer of a less durable coating over your “super” durable coating. What are you supposed to do when this softer layer gets marred? You can’t just polish it off, you have to replace the entire coating. For a maintenance spray I just either reapply or wait for it to wear off. These new top coats may wear off, but I doubt they wear off evenly over the vehicle. If you are only keeping your coating for a year like me then top coating is ok because it provides more gloss. It may even make more sense to skip the coating and only apply the Top Coat. The stuff is so new I haven’t even thought about that.
    The thing about a top coat not wearing evenly can also apply to a maintenance spray as well. The maintenance spray does not add that much benefit in terms of marring protection. One thing I don`t buy into is the claimed hardness of any coating. They all marr to some extent so even having a "softer" top coat or maintenance spray. So if the base layer gets marred because the the maintenance spray is not providing any additional hardness, then that person is in the same predicament as a top coat being marred. Essentially needing to be polished off.

Another thing about a top coat is that they retain their hydrophobic properties and self cleaning effect much longer and better than a maintenance spray. I find the self cleaning effect of Gliss to be much better than Reload or Cure. Heck I don`t use spray toppers on my coatings like everyone thinks has to be done. Wash and EcH20 as a drying aid if I use towels or just wash and blow dry.

One other thing is that with a top coat one does not need a maintenance spray. An example of this is when using Gliss as a topper. So perhaps more cost in the short term but less cost in the long term.

Q. Can we top the Gliss with Reload?

A. Yes but it is not necessary. However if you choose to do so Reload can be applied after 12 hrs.

What I am getting at is that they are both similar and have their pros and cons. Without trying both combinations it is really hard to just speculate based on what others have said. Sometimes it is good to just take a leap and give it a go and not worry about all the hearsay.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about a top coat not wearing evenly can also apply to a maintenance spray as well. The maintenance spray does not add that much benefit in terms of marring protection. One thing I don`t buy into is the claimed hardness of any coating. They all marr to some extent so even having a "softer" top coat or maintenance spray. So if the base layer gets marred because the the maintenance spray is not providing any additional hardness, then that person is in the same predicament as a top coat being marred. Essentially needing to be polished off.

Another thing about a top coat is that they retain their hydrophobic properties and self cleaning effect much longer and better than a maintenance spray. I find the self cleaning effect of Gliss to be much better than Reload or Cure. Heck I don`t use spray toppers on my coatings like everyone thinks has to be done. Wash and EcH20 as a drying aid if I use towels or just wash and blow dry.

One other thing is that with a top coat one does not need a maintenance spray. An example of this is when using Gliss as a topper. So perhaps more cost in the short term but less cost in the long term.

Q. Can we top the Gliss with Reload?

A. Yes but it is not necessary. However if you choose to do so Reload can be applied after 12 hrs.

What I am getting at is that they are both similar and have their pros and cons. Without trying both combinations it is really hard to just speculate based on what others have said. Sometimes it is good to just take a leap and give it a go and not worry about all the hearsay.
    What do you think about using Gliss as a stand-alone product? It’s supposed to last one year. Of course we should probably cut that in half based on past experience. Or does Gliss depend upon the coating as a base structure?

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Essence & CQuartz UK 3.0

What do you think about using Gliss as a stand-alone product? It’s supposed to last one year. Of course we should probably cut that in half based on past experience. Or does Gliss depend upon the coating as a base structure?
    I am sure it will work just fine as a stand alone. But just keep in mind that CarPro states "they believe up to 12 months"` if washed with Reset. "Up to" being the key words. If it lasts a month it still lasted up to 12 months.

Q. How long will the durability last?

A. We believe up to 12 months, if well maintained with CarPro Reset.

If I am looking to go with a 6-10 month coating then CanCoat would be my choice.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure it will work just fine as a stand alone. But just keep in mind that CarPro states "they believe up to 12 months"` if washed with Reset. "Up to" being the key words. If it lasts a month it still lasted up to 12 months.

Q. How long will the durability last?

A. We believe up to 12 months, if well maintained with CarPro Reset.

If I am looking to go with a 6-10 month coating then CanCoat would be my choice.
    I always cut a manufacturer’s claim in half so I’m not disappointed. I was just looking at what would be the glossiest coating I could put on my car. From the pictures I’ve seen Gliss is glossier than the coating it goes over. I’ve used TAC Systems Topcoat 1.0 and it is much glossier than any coating I have used. CarPro and TAC Systems are tied together by DNA so I imagine Gliss and Topcoat 1.0 are very similar. My problem with Topcoat 1.0 is that it comes in such a large bottle that I would never use it all before it goes bad. Gliss comes in a 30m bottle, which is perfect.

On a side note, what do manufacturers do to keep coatings from hardening up before the customer opens the bottle? There is always some air already in the new bottle, so why doesn’t it go bad more rapidly? Anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

I always cut a manufacturer’s claim in half so I’m not disappointed. I was just looking at what would be the glossiest coating I could put on my car. From the pictures I’ve seen Gliss is glossier than the coating it goes over. I’ve used TAC Systems Topcoat 1.0 and it is much glossier than any coating I have used. CarPro and TAC Systems are tied together by DNA so I imagine Gliss and Topcoat 1.0 are very similar. My problem with Topcoat 1.0 is that it comes in such a large bottle that I would never use it all before it goes bad. Gliss comes in a 30m bottle, which is perfect.

On a side note, what do manufacturers do to keep coatings from hardening up before the customer opens the bottle? There is always some air already in the new bottle, so why doesn’t it go bad more rapidly? Anyone know?
    Nitrogen comes to mind, but not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Yup use it as a drying aid/ gloss enhancer. It would provide some extra protection due to the reload. I can`t say how durable it is but I use it every 2 to 3 weeks so it`s really not an issue. I use it on the wheels as well.

one last question (sorry) - do you still dry with your regular drying towel (I use Dry Me a River from TRC) when using this, or do you use your normal "wipe off" type microfibers (eagle edgeless, e.g.)

not sure if the question makes any sense. is this just a product on top of your regular drying routine or do you treat it like you`re applying a wax/sealant that needs to be wiped off?

Post Thanks / Like

one last question (sorry) - do you still dry with your regular drying towel (I use Dry Me a River from TRC) when using this, or do you use your normal "wipe off" type microfibers (eagle edgeless, e.g.)

not sure if the question makes any sense. is this just a product on top of your regular drying routine or do you treat it like you`re applying a wax/sealant that needs to be wiped off?
    The key thing I forgot to mention is I blow off my cars with air as much as possible using the master blaster. So in my instance I usually use two rag company pluffles or two eagle edgle towels as I dont have as much water to pick up off the panel.

You could still use your dry me a river towel and follow up with a 2nd towel if you need to to pick up excess water and work the rest of the product in. If there is some light streaking I find it flashes away with no issue.

Post Thanks / Like

The key thing I forgot to mention is I blow off my cars with air as much as possible using the master blaster. So in my instance I usually use two rag company pluffles or two eagle edgle towels as I dont have as much water to pick up off the panel.

You could still use your dry me a river towel and follow up with a 2nd towel if you need to to pick up excess water and work the rest of the product in. If there is some light streaking I find it flashes away with no issue.

do you spray, then blow, then wipe, or blow, spray, and wipe?

Post Thanks / Like

do you spray, then blow, then wipe, or blow, spray, and wipe?
    Blow with air to remove majority of the water. Spray, then wipe.

Likes someidiot liked this post
    Thanks someidiot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Ech2o QD- 20oz water; 2oz Reload; 2oz Ech2o QD from Corey Caruth from CarPro is just magic. Leaves the surface super slick and glossy. No streaking issues since Reload is diluted.
    Yet another question about this...

Has anyone tried this with ONR instead of Ech2O? Any reason to believe it wouldn`t work just as well? I have a bunch of ONR left...

Post Thanks / Like

As a novice chiming in, I`ll give another viewpoint from someone who hasn`t tried numerous coatings on numerous vehicles. I researched last winter into the coating options for my car, and ended up choosing the CQuartz UK 3.0 due to the high tolerance of application temperature parameters. In Canada where I live the weather sucks more than it is enjoyable. I wanted to apply a coating as soon as temps were getting warm again. The kit I got came with Reload so I followed all directions on using it. It did say to re-apply Reload every 4 months or so; but after the coating was first applied I topped everything with some PA High Gloss and haven`t bothered to re-apply any Reload. Like RLM I plan on applying a new coating every year (Springtime for me) so trying to get everything to last multiple years for me is not an issue.
    Only issue I had with the UK 3.0 was high spots that I missed due to crappy fluorescent lighting in the garage. Going to get some better lighting over the winter to alleviate this problem. Not sure if I`ll use the CarPro stuff again, I`ve been looking at Gyeon Pure more and more as I like their Fabric Coat and Leather Shield as well as their View. Time will tell what I eventually get. I initially got some Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating but it`s still unopened LOL.

Chris
    Last edited by mumps; 10-05-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: CORRECTION

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been really impressed with Gyeon. I was set to coat with Gyeon but switched to CQUK at the last minute.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information