Post Thanks / Like

cleaning ability- rw vs ww

In your experience which type of product has more cleaning ability, rinseless wash or waterless wash ? I usually do a rinseless wash. I might use a waterless wash if the car is cleaner. what are everyones thoughts on this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning ability- rw vs ww

For me rinseless cleans better because i pre-soak the do my wash. When doing waterless it’s all the same step.

Post Thanks / Like

I use both at the same time. It’s a crap shoot. Just find a method that works for you. The specific product you are using doesn’t mean much - it’s more how it’s used.

Nobody has proved lubricity decreases marring or scratches anyway. Like most of detailing knowledge - it’s something someone said & it makes sense - so we accept it as truth.

The bottom line is, it MAY have little or nothing to do with the condition the paint stays in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I use both at the same time. It’s a crap shoot. Just find a method that works for you. The specific product you are using doesn’t mean much - it’s more how it’s used.

Nobody has proved lubricity decreases marring or scratches anyway. Like most of detailing knowledge - it’s something someone said & it makes sense - so we accept it as truth.

The bottom line is, it MAY have little or nothing to do with the condition the paint stays in.
    Swanic can you explain why the “specific product you are using doesn’t mean much”. I read the line numerous times and I don’t understand why the product wouldn’t make a difference. There are some bad waterless wash products.

The lubricity statement kinda throws me a little too. If lubricity doesn’t matter then why use soap? Or use lube when claying? I may be missing the point.
    Likes 06vrss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Swanic can you explain why the “specific product you are using doesn’t mean much”. I read the line numerous times and I don’t understand why the product wouldn’t make a difference. There are some bad waterless wash products.

The lubricity statement kinda throws me a little too. If lubricity doesn’t matter then why use soap? Or use lube when claying? I may be missing the point.
    I dunno. Most of them now are good enough. Some I like a lot. But who’s to say one I don’t like can cause marring more than 1 I do? Usually bad to me means it streaks.

Lubricity seems like it should matter. And it seems like we can tell the difference. Has anyone proved that? Where has it been proven that’s some liquid that feels slick can impact the coefficient of friction enough on a panel that it can impart marring?
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I see where you are coming from. As with most detailing supplies there is very little empirical proof. We are left to try different products and decide on our own whether the manufacturers claim are true or not. I’ve been around long enough now not to believe anything a manufacturer says since they are out to remove as much money from my wallet as possible.

Pinnacle Waterless wash was the first WW I tried and I thought it was so bad I was over a year before I tried another. I’m still not sure how a waterless wash with carnauba can even work. I was the least slick WW product I’ve ever used. I guess a WW doesn’t have to be slick, just encapsulate dirt to be effective.

I seems like lubricity should be able to be scientifically proven, not being a scientist myself I will just have to believe that lubricity is a good thing and some products provide more than others.

Sometimes this stuff makes my head hurt. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Lol Pinnacle is one I use quite a lot & like...

See? It’s a crap shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it`s generally accepted that a rinseless wash is supposed to be able to handle more dirt then waterless but I don`t have a great answer for why. I know some of us are heavily presoaking and using such a saturated microfiber or wash mitt that we are *sort of* flooding off contaminants. But at the end of the day you are wiping dirt off the paint with both methods.

I read that a waterless product should have a certain % solids (I think 5%?) as lubricants which is why you see dedicated waterless products as RTU or with lower dillution ratios like D115.

Post Thanks / Like

All of them are mostly water. 1:128 or 1:256 there are some of the elements that are supposed to soften water and or lift or encapsulate dirt

You still are pretty much wiping down your car with water with a touch of some sort of chemistry added

Rinseless is thought to be “safer” because the label directions are using more product

Waterless is up to 1:48 I have seen. I’m sure there is more. You are essentially making a modern day detail spray since those aren’t as popular any longer. Enough product and enough towels I think you would be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Lol Pinnacle is one I use quite a lot & like...

See? It’s a crap shoot.
    I also like the Pinnacle WW a lot. And I also think that most the big name WWs (particularly PBMG, Mckees and Ultima) all perform very well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use waterless very “wet”. Almost like a rinseless. I have it in a gallon bug sprayer & everything is soaked when I touch the car - including the towel.

So, there are so many variables - I say it’s more technique dependent.

The thing is - I always pressure wash a car before I touch it. Either big pressure washer or Hydroshot. This matters more to me than what wash I use. I’m not wiping off dirt I can rinse off
    Likes DetailZeus liked this post

Thread Information