Post Thanks / Like

Griot’s finishing Sealant and door pillars

I had asked my friend Rod Kraft what he used on the plastic door pillars that get stained and discolored because people think that they are the door handle! He told me that finishing Sealant on a yellow perfecting pad would not only clean but protect also. You can also use it to clean up fender trim. Just another tool in the box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Diner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot’s finishing Sealant and door pillars

very nice tip!
    thanks!
    Likes finick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No problem! I forgot to mention they had been cleaned with Griot’s rubber cleaner with no difference made.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike lambert- While I use different product(s), the LSP approach to exterior plastic is great when you can do it. Nice to know of another product that`s suitable.

Is the Finishing Sealant at all abrasive? Wondering if it might alter the texture of such pieces (when they`re not smooth)?

You cleaned *when* with the GG Rubber Cleaner...before/after?

FWIW, I prep such surfaces with their Rubber Prep almost all of the time, at least as a first/last step. When necessary I ramp up, usually starting with KAIO, trying to stay gentle especially if there`s a texture to preserve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Is the Finishing Sealant at all abrasive? Wondering if it might alter the texture of such pieces (when they`re not smooth)?
    It`s considered an AIO so it does have slight abrasives in it, only enough to remove hazing, etc. Unless you`re using a cutting pad I wouldn`t worry about it altering any texture.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned before, I’ve used it with a microfiber pad on severely faded fender flares on a Tahoe with no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike lambert & RZJZA80- Ah, OK, thanks for explaining.

Sounds like it might be in-between Klasse AIO and Zaino AIO.

Interesting that you prepped with the Rubber Cleaner instead of the Rubber Prep; guessing it wasn`t in *that* bad of shape. I always wish the Rubber Cleaner were stronger, gotten to where I just reach for the Rubber Prep for stuff like that (pricey first option though).

Guess I might be surprised you haven`t much mentioned Rubber Prep (AFAIK), which I consider one of the all-time great GG products, an absolute miracle worker IMO.

BTW, I always enjoy seeing the pics of your Pit. I`m a big fan of having dogs sufficiently well-behaved that you can trust `em around (any) vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough, I had been looking at this product last night / this morning. Here`s what caught my attention:

Per Autopia: features light cutting ability intended for use in removal of fine imperfections left by previous polishing steps

Per Autogeek:
    Typically Griot`s Garage Finishing Sealant will be used with the Black Foam Finishing Pad as a paint sealant, but when used with the Yellow Foam Perfecting Pad, it will remove moderate defects in the paint. Think of a top final step product with the power to remove swirls at the same time!

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- (Potential) problem is, that`s basically what everybody says about every AIO. Hard to know just what the specific abrasives will be like. That ZAIO is so gentle *on paint* that I`ve never seen any cut from it at all on my paints, definitely much more gentle than, say...M205. So knowing that M205 is Death to plastics, I figured the ZAIO would be OK. Thank goodness I didn`t do too much before realizing my error!

Funny thing is that Polishes that *have more cut* still do fine on that same plastic surface! Apparently it`s not just the *level* of cut that the abrasives have, but also the *nature* of those abrasives with regard to "sharpness" or somesuch. Bumping into my (perhaps willful) ignorance here, I`m just not an authority on such stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t had the need for rubber prep, don’t know about Klasse and wouldn’t touch anything Zaino. The abrasives in all the Boss creams I learned working with Jeff Brown, are the same. That amount is what is the difference. The discription is a little misleading from auto geek. You can use any of the Boss creams on any Boss pad. That gives you over 300 combinations! Check the you tube video by Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- (Potential) problem is, that`s basically what everybody says about every AIO. Hard to know just what the specific abrasives will be like.
    Totally true. I do see plenty of that going around. It took me a moment to find where I got the other info, that it`s close to Perfecting Cream and...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    The abrasives in all the Boss creams I learned working with Jeff Brown, are the same. That amount is what is the difference...
    Check the you tube video by Jeff.
    Yes, Jeff Brown said this in the video, “…Finishing Sealant, which is similar in terms of it’s correcting ability to Perfecting Cream…”

That`s what ultimately led me to believe that FS on a Yellow BOSS pad would have saved me a step on the car I`m doing tomorrow. It`s okay, though. I don`t mind applying a paste wax. It`s been a while

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I`m convinced the finishing sealant is made with Vaseline. It smells exactly like it to me, and smears a lot when wiping off. The few times I`ve used it with the BOSS black pads, I had to wipe A LOT to remove it, I mean A LOT. The buffing cycle is pretty much endless though, you could buff for hours and it`ll still be there.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve found that if you let it sit while you do the next panel it’s much easier to remove. If I’m doing it as a one step, I use 2 towels to wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Haven’t had the need for rubber prep, don’t know about Klasse and wouldn’t touch anything Zaino.
    I don`t mind beating you over the head with the Rubber Prep suggestion Hey, you like GG anyhow and I really do find it one of those Essential Products even if it sits on the shelf most of the time.

The Klasse is one of those "I`ll always have/use/recommend it" products for me, and I`ve never had one moment`s trouble with it in gee...decades.

I generally agree with you on Zaino; their (older version of) Z16 just happened to be the perfect Tire Slime for me and the ZAIO was a happy anomaly in that it just immediately *worked* for me, zero learning curve, perfect base for my FK1000P. No reason for anybody who`s happy with something else to try either of `em, but when something works well I post about it
    The abrasives in all the Boss creams I learned working with Jeff Brown, are the same. That amount is what is the difference.
    Ah, OK...appreciate the info. That`s well worth knowing IMO.

Check the you tube video by Jeff.
    Heh heh, confession: I`m a,uhm...utter [jerk] when it comes to watching Detailing Videos, basically "not if you paid my by the minute". I`d rather read for six hours than watch a video for six minutes. Not that I would any more..

Post Thanks / Like

I used it on the car this weekend as an LSP with black pad and I thought I`d get away with doing the entire car then coming back around and wiping off. BIG mistake. Was a absolute bear to remove. I had to reapply in many areas and then quickly do a 2 towel wipe to remove. Normally I do a panel at a time and wipe. I`ll stick to that approach.

Oh yeah I used it on the plastic trim per your recommendation and it really did clean up the trim and protect nicely!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Information