Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Spray and Seal

I have use this product twice now, on 2 different cars, and it has streaked severely. The paint is super smooth and slick feeling, but it’s agravating that I have to follow up with a wipe down of Sonax bsd. I have gotten streaks on all parts of the car. The worst seem to be the black plastic trim at the base of the doors. Those seem to “tiger stripe” the trim. All streaks seem to go away after another wipe down of Sonax brilliant shine detail. I have tried little amount of product, and this last time a medium to large amount of product, the rinsed throughly both times, still same results. I don’t think I will be getting a his product again. Am I doing something wrong? I have followed the directions.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax Spray and Seal

Quote Originally Posted by hot_h2o View Post
    I have use this product twice now, on 2 different cars, and it has streaked severely. The paint is super smooth and slick feeling, but it’s agravating that I have to follow up with a wipe down of Sonax bsd. I have gotten streaks on all parts of the car. The worst seem to be the black plastic trim at the base of the doors. Those seem to “tiger stripe” the trim. All streaks seem to go away after another wipe down of Sonax brilliant shine detail. I have tried little amount of product, and this last time a medium to large amount of product, the rinsed throughly both times, still same results. I don’t think I will be getting a his product again. Am I doing something wrong? I have followed the directions.
    Hello, hot_h20 --
    I have no experience with this product, but found this post from someone on this Forum --

Post Thanks / Like
    Send a message via MSN to shortspark

Re: SONAX SPRAY AND SEAL. How to.
    This is a good product, like almost everything Sonax makes. I have a Mercedes and use Sonax along with P21S Paintwork Cleanser as they are as German as the car. The Sonax Brilliant Shine is a great detailer too. You don`t need a lot of the spray and seal. I used two or three sprays on each panel and it beaded up nicely on the rinse off.

Of course, I have to admit I made a big mistake at first. I watched videos and read the instructions but for some reason I had a mental block after washing my car. I used the spray and seal like you would a drying aid. While the rinse water was still on the car I applied spray and seal and instead of rinsing it off right away I rubbed it into the car while drying it. Huge mistake! There were streaks everywhere and I swore I would never apply this product on my car again. It certainly was not as good as the other Sonax products I have used.

Then the next day it popped into my head that I did this all wrong. I washed the car again and this time was more careful. I applied spray and seal onto the freshly washed paint and rinsed it off, removing it before drying not while drying. That made all the difference in the world and the shine was excellent with no streaks. It has been a month and still doing quite well. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you won`t go wrong with spray and seal. One bottle will last you three applications on a normal size sedan although I suppose the more product you spray the better chance of full coverage.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I read that post a couple of weeks ago. I followed the directions exactly but still streaked. I love Sonax products. Was hoping this would be a good one for me. Guess not.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot_h2o View Post
    Thanks. I read that post a couple of weeks ago. I followed the directions exactly but still streaked. I love Sonax products. Was hoping this would be a good one for me. Guess not.
    Oh, shoot, I`m sorry this didn`t help..
    Perhaps there is something on the paintwork already that is interfering with this product?
    Well, I hope someone else who has experience with this will pop up here for you !
    Dan F
    Likes hot_h2o liked this post
    Thanks hot_h2o thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This may be kinda a dumb observation; but I don’t really see much of a point to this stuff.

So, the panel is wet or dry - then you spray it with this magic juice - and then you dry the panel - correct?

Let’s take something like Sonax BSD. The panel is wet or dry, you spray it with BSD, then you buff it - similar or the same as drying a panel

So why would someone pay a premium for this stuff - since it really doesn’t save you significant time or labor & is obviously finicky?

Dunno. Seems kinda like a gimmick.
    Likes Chopper280 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    This may be kinda a dumb observation; but I don’t really see much of a point to this stuff.

So, the panel is wet or dry - then you spray it with this magic juice - and then you dry the panel - correct?

Let’s take something like Sonax BSD. The panel is wet or dry, you spray it with BSD, then you buff it - similar or the same as drying a panel

So why would someone pay a premium for this stuff - since it really doesn’t save you significant time or labor & is obviously finicky?

Dunno. Seems kinda like a gimmick.
    I`m kinda with you here, I`m always wondering if these spray & rinse products do anything other than bead water. I could see the benefit on wheels, where barrels & calipers are hard to reach but I honestly don`t care about water beading on my wheels. Don`t want to knock it till I try it, but I`ve got other products in line first!
    Likes Chopper280 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m with you guys. I have tried these products and don’t really like them.
    If you have gone through the trouble of already protecting your paint this is an extra step.
    Then you have the splatter and spotting problems.
    If you like it use it!

Post Thanks / Like

I used Gyeon Wet Coat as a stand alone LSP this winter on 2 cars. It`s so easy to apply after a wash. You spray 3-4 times on a small panel. I concentrate to get it on the upper parts of the the panel applyied on. After sprayed sat the bottle away and get the PW lance. Still starts at the bottom of the panel and work my way up and the down again. Make sure the water pressure from the PW hits all the surface of the panel. This seems to be getting me a even application. Get about 10 application from a 1 liter bottle of Wet Coat.

When I start applying I do it from the top and work my down panel by panel. I always is thorough with getting it rinsed off the car so it don`t get any overspray from it. Rinse off a bigger surface than applyied on. And always work in the shade on cool panels and don`t let it dwell. After the application and before start to dry the car. Rinse it one more time with the hose to get certain to get all of it off. Would do this with the Sonax Spray and Seal too.

I always spray water on the panel I am about to do. And it`s activated by the water pressure so be thorough at get the water pressure to hit the whole surface of application. Then rinse off the residue of the product. Under 10 minutes and you have a protection that lasts about 2 months. I find it very easy and fast to apply. Don`t apply it to often. At max every 2 weeks but every 4-6 weeks I found to only be necessary. Be thorough to rinse out the seals on the car so it`s not and left there. That`s why I feel the hose that get more water amount when rinsing is great to do. To flush it out from the crevices.

I got a car that was looking cleaner for a longer time. Easier to wash and rinsed. Wheels was easier to clean.

What kind of car soap did you use before you applyied Sonax Spray & Seal?
    How big is the area you spray it on before rinse it off?
    Do you spray it on a wet panel?
    Do you let it dwell?
    And do you blowdry or dry with drying towel?
    Likes DetailZeus, Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information