Post Thanks / Like

Novus 1 silicone content

My new car has this annoying glossy piano black plastic that`s a magnet for fingerprints. I`ve always used Einszett (now Nextzett) Cockpit Premium, but I wanted to use something more dedicated to plastics for the material I`m dealing with, in addition to the clear gauge cluster lens.

I did a search and saw the name Plexus come up quite a bit, but it sounds like a mild polish. The person I spoke with at Plexus made it sound like I should clean my whole car with Plexus when I just called to find out if it had any abrasives in it for use on interior plastics. He said it would fill scratches, as long as you can`t feel them with your fingernail. I tried to find out if it had silicone in it, but he was a bit evasive because of trade secrets. However, he did go on to say not to use this product where any kind of paint work is being done. I guess it has silicone.

So, I remembered that I have some Novus 1 left. I`ve always liked the product, however Novus openly states that it does have a small amount of silicone in it.

There`s also a cleaner I`ve used for years on LCD screens called OmniCleanz. There are no harsh chemicals, but it`s expensive for a tiny bottle of this stuff. Using it to clean my car`s interior on a regular basis wouldn`t be smart.

Do you think the silicone in Novus or Plexus is something to be concerned with? Are there any more recently developed products that would work better for my application, or should I just go with one of those?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Novus 1 silicone content

I have no experience with either of those products..
    I assume that silicone makes things somewhat oily, and eventually, it attracts all kinds of dirt,,stuff, and I don`t want anything like that..

However, I have years of experience using Zaino AIO (All in One) Cleaner Polish Protectant on all coated wood, plastic, hard trim, especially on all European vehicles..
    It makes all that coated wood, painted, etc., trim really shiny, knocks down some scratches, and leaves a nice, glossy, warm, look that lasts a long time..

The hardest scratches to deal with are always the ones on the trim around the shifter, anything on the center console where hands with long fingernails will rest, keys will land, all manner of things hit that area on some vehicles and it is hard to fix that...

I just use a soft short nap microfiber, put some on it, use 1-2 fingers, rub it in with horizontal strokes, let it dry, wipe it off.. Beautiful...
    1 - 16oz bottle of this product will last you a lifetime..

Please be really careful with what you do to the clear gauge plastic.. Once you scratch it, its hard to fix if ever..
    I prefer to continue to spray my softest microfiber with Einszett/Nextzett Cockpit Premium, and Gently wipe them off..

Dan F
    Likes SWETM, jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a cleaner and protectant that would work on those surfaces you have and other sensitive surfaces. I would get Ultima Screen Cleaner & Protector bundle. Have not used it myself but would get it if I had a access to it. It has no abrasives in it so that would be another product to get. Dan has some solid advises above and would also be interesting to test that zaino product.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ulti...l#.W3ViHzGew1I

/Tony
    Likes Stokdgs, jwyfk liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have no experience with either of those products..
    I assume that silicone makes things somewhat oily, and eventually, it attracts all kinds of dirt,,stuff, and I don`t want anything like that..

However, I have years of experience using Zaino AIO (All in One) Cleaner Polish Protectant on all coated wood, plastic, hard trim, especially on all European vehicles..
    It makes all that coated wood, painted, etc., trim really shiny, knocks down some scratches, and leaves a nice, glossy, warm, look that lasts a long time..

The hardest scratches to deal with are always the ones on the trim around the shifter, anything on the center console where hands with long fingernails will rest, keys will land, all manner of things hit that area on some vehicles and it is hard to fix that...

I just use a soft short nap microfiber, put some on it, use 1-2 fingers, rub it in with horizontal strokes, let it dry, wipe it off.. Beautiful...
    1 - 16oz bottle of this product will last you a lifetime..

Please be really careful with what you do to the clear gauge plastic.. Once you scratch it, its hard to fix if ever..
    I prefer to continue to spray my softest microfiber with Einszett/Nextzett Cockpit Premium, and Gently wipe them off..

Dan F
    I think the clear plastic and black plastic are equally easy to scratch. I`ll keep Zaino in mind, thank you, but I`d be nervous about using a polish around the knobs and buttons for my radio. It would be difficult to tape everything off to prevent residue from getting in the crevices. I`ve had good luck with Novus 1 in the past and I already have it, so I`ll let you know how it goes. I looked into Plexus and everyone is complaining about price gouging with that product within the past decade. Here`s another name I saw pop up:

Brillianize #1 Rated Plastic Cleaner and Plastic Polish Link Removed

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    If you are looking for a cleaner and protectant that would work on those surfaces you have and other sensitive surfaces. I would get Ultima Screen Cleaner & Protector bundle. Have not used it myself but would get it if I had a access to it. It has no abrasives in it so that would be another product to get. Dan has some solid advises above and would also be interesting to test that zaino product.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/ulti...l#.W3ViHzGew1I

/Tony
    Thank you Tony, that looks like a more economical version of OmniCleanz that I use on my LCD screens. It sounds like it might even be better, since it resists smudging. I`ll get some when I run out.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Thread Information