Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone still use surgical/huck towels for windows?

I`ve had great results with the white ww mf glass towels sold on ag/acc pictured below

I only use Poorboys glass cleaner or PA diver. Never had any issues

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes SWETM, jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have used and still use Huck towels regularly for windows. No issues and they work great.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes Stokdgs, pwaug, jwyfk liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I have a friend that is a surgical nurse. In the hospital where he works they take a given number of surgical hucks into a surgery depending on the type of procedure. The hucks they don’t use they pitch (your insurance dollars at work) because they’ve been exposed to the surgical atmosphere. He brought me a couple hundred hucks that were brand new blue hucks. I washed them twice and proceeded to clean windows with them. They linted worse than any other product I’ve used. It really concerned me because of the amount of lint. I’m thinking to myself some of this has got to end up in the guy on the table. I would not recommend hucks for windows or perhaps for surgery. They work great for suspension and underhood stuff. Use them once and pitch them.

Now having said all this I have no doubt that there are different brands and quality of hucks but the ones I’ve used are a no go.
    My Other Brother, El Gear_Head01 ---
    Been reading all these posts.... I am also worried about the FOL ( Full-O-Lint) Hucks your nice friend gave you..
    Perhaps those are Chinese Hucks ??? Does it say "Chucks" anywhere on them???
    Dan F
    Likes pwaug, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I too use exclusively huck towels. Got em from a friend back in 1997-8 whos wife worked in a hospital. I find them very easy to control, sturdy, and no linting for me either. GREAT imo.

I bought some Griots knock off glass towels and they are a pretty good substitute for the hucks but I wont use them daily until I am either out of huck at the moment or they finally wear out.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Stokdgs, jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Funny to see this thread pop up, I bought 25 Huck Towels in the hopes they would be my dedicated glass towels and they just do not produce streak free glass at all.

I’ve washed them several times, and they still just leave this weird film behind. I can get a window streak free with regular microfiber towels or waffle weaves, then for fun spritz cleaner on the window and wipe it down with a huck towel and it’s immediately covered in ridiculous streaks.

I really wish they worked better, because they glide across glass like fine silk. I was very disappointed when I saw they did a bad job.

If anyone that uses these successfully has any ideas on why they may be doing this; I’m all ears. Otherwise they’ll just be dedicated to something around the house.

Kind of funny we have bad experiences with them when professional window cleaners use them successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason everyone is having different experiences...I used to think Huck was a manufacturer...but huck is simply a type of fabric: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/huck

So just like any other towel type we buy, it could be made by anyone at any quality level. Not all microfiber towels are the same, and neither are all huck towels.
    Likes jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So just like any other towel type we buy, it could be made by anyone at any quality level. Not all microfiber towels are the same, and neither are all huck towels.
    That.

Kind of funny we have bad experiences with them when professional window cleaners use them successfully.
    I wouldn`t generalize/extrapolate *too* much from what (some) Pro Window Cleaners use, or even make too many assumptions about whether they (all) do decent work. FWIW, the Pros I`ve watched used towels for *very* little of the work; they get most of the Window Cleaner off with a squeegee. The Unger Window Cleaning Tools appear to remain popular with the Pros and IME they are good, but I guess it`s sorta like Polishers and Pro Detailers (some of which deserve scare-quotes)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Unger Window Cleaning Tools appear to remain popular with the Pros and IME they are good
    I had to look that up...ErgoTec Ninja! And you can even get a holster for it. Interestingly they also have a lot of DI and RO solutions, which of course makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Heh heh, yeah...you can learn a bit by watching some of life`s Worker Bees in the Background and asking them about those "lowly manual labor jobs" that usually get done by The Magic Checkbook

Lots of Pro Window Guys are using Unger stuff that looks a zillion years old; mine only date to the `80s, but in that time I`ve only broken two pieces of plastic (only one of which needed actual replacement). Not counting new Squeegee Rubbers and razor blades of course..There *IS* of course, a learning curve related to such an approach And what`s best for doing 144 windows before lunch might not be best for a lotta folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That.

I wouldn`t generalize/extrapolate *too* much from what (some) Pro Window Cleaners use, or even make too many assumptions about whether they (all) do decent work. FWIW, the Pros I`ve watched used towels for *very* little of the work; they get most of the Window Cleaner off with a squeegee. The Unger Window Cleaning Tools appear to remain popular with the Pros and IME they are good, but I guess it`s sorta like Polishers and Pro Detailers (some of which deserve scare-quotes)...
    Accumulator !
    Yes !!!
    Nothing more efficient or faster for residential, etc., glass than a great, no rinse soap and a squeegee.. Been doing that for around 20 years..
    I did not discover Unger but instead found and had great results from their Window Soap and all sizes of brass, or metal squeegees with replacement rubber from a company called Ettore...
    Heck when I had that huge Tudor house in Bellevue, WA., I could knock out all the upstairs screens separately, and then the windows from the ground using Ettore extension poles, scrubbers, and squeegees..

To finish, I would put one of those long, rectangular old cotton face towels on the squeegee and get the bottom of the window edge where water just sits there..

This particular soap they make always left me beautiful, streak free glass, no film, just real clarity..
    These people also make a water spot remover Ettore Scrub Off, that I used on some glass to remove that film that gets on there after decades of never cleaning them, etc..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finick View Post
    Funny to see this thread pop up, I bought 25 Huck Towels in the hopes they would be my dedicated glass towels and they just do not produce streak free glass at all.

I’ve washed them several times, and they still just leave this weird film behind. I can get a window streak free with regular microfiber towels or waffle weaves, then for fun spritz cleaner on the window and wipe it down with a huck towel and it’s immediately covered in ridiculous streaks.

I really wish they worked better, because they glide across glass like fine silk. I was very disappointed when I saw they did a bad job.

If anyone that uses these successfully has any ideas on why they may be doing this; I’m all ears. Otherwise they’ll just be dedicated to something around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Finick ---
    Sorry this has not been a great experience with your hucks..
    I would wash them in something that is perfectly free of any extra softeners, etc., and fill the rinse reservoir with Distilled White Vinegar, and see if that changes the way they work.. Perhaps even add some Distilled White Vinegar to the Wash Cycle also..

I might even try a specific Microfiber Wash Soap for this or something really strong like Persil...
    And please make sure none of those Coating application dryer sheets are anywhere near your hucks in the drying cycle..
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    Likes finick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never even heard of Hicks before today. My favorite is a waffle weave towel that was supposed to be a drying towel. I’m pretty sure it came with a bunch of sample towels I receive from AG years ago. It doesn’t work that great as a drying towel, but it gives me streak free, lint free glass. I got to give Nextzett Glass Cleaner some of the credit too.
    Likes jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My usual go-to window cleaner is the old Einsett Windscreen Clear.

Accumulator would be proud of me- I bought a 10 liter jug about 10 years ago.

Oh,and it`s a concentrate. It makes sixteen,(yes 16) liters of solution. Got it for $40.00 shipped.

I`m still using some of those old blue-waffle weave glass towels I got years ago. Still work great.

On the interior glass,I use the CarPro Fast Glass cleaning cloths I got from Corey,(one of the nicest guys in the business) at Sky`s The Limit. They also work like a dream. Just run them under hot water,(if possible),wring them out and wipe away.
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, jwyfk liked this post
    Thanks DaveT435 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Older- Ah yes, nothing like buying a Lifetime Supply of something that doesn`t go bad I oughta try that NZ stuff myself some day..in the unlikely event that I either use up my 3D 50:1 or decide it`s somehow deficient. And I agree with you about Corey, think so highly of him that I can usually overlook the higher prices; hey, at least the products are always good.

Heh heh, I`m envious that your Blue WW MFs are still OK!

Stokdgs- Ah yes#2, the Ettore stuff is 100% good-to-go! Them vs. Unger is sorta like Ferrari vs. Porsche

Their yellow rectangular Wash Buckets with their casters are a lot better than the seemingly similar ones that [a certain vendor] is selling now.

And I too wrap old cotton towels around my various pole heads for those nasty jobs where just getting the liquid up is all that really matters.

Oh, and I just did a load of household MFs with Persil, and they came out OK this time! Trying the same thing and expecting different results isn`t (really) always crazy, as I`ve always suspected was the unspoken joke that, uhm...you had to be there to understand in context. Ol` Albert actually did a whole lotta things over and over again, watching for those (seemingly impossible) different results.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator ---- ""Ol` Albert actually did a whole lotta things over and over again, watching for those (seemingly impossible) different results.""
    YES ! And another one - Thomas Edison !!!!!
    Dan F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information