Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone still use surgical/huck towels for windows?

I`m putting together a microfiber order and came across dedicated microfiber glass towels, which I`ve never tried. I`m still using paper towels! Some reviews say they`re too thin, others say they`re too grabby, etc. Then, I found this article:

https://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=200

He/she mentions surgical or huck towels as being better than microfiber for glass, because they don`t lint. I did several searches through Autopia forums, but couldn`t come up with anything current. Does anyone still prefer huck towels for windows, or have some current microfiber towels progressed to the point where they are superior? If so, what brands do you like?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone still use surgical/huck towels for windows?

I tried a number of different ones based on the positive reports here. None were worth a [darn], not even the "you gotta try these, let me send you some!" ones. I do believe they work fine for some people, but they sure didn`t for me.

Griot`s PFMs for Glass and Griot`s Polypropylene Window Wipes work *perfectly* for me. Zero issues with glass using those with a good Glass Cleaner, made the whole topic a non-issue for me.
    Likes jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the areas where there just don`t seem to be a lot of good solutions. I do have some of the Huck(style?) towels, as well as just about every other glass towel ever made. None of them is a perfect solution for me, although I do have some of the TRC PFM-style towels that I haven`t tried yet. I also have a box of the Griot`s disposable glass wipes, based on Accumulator`s recommendation, I do use them but frequently they bunch up on me, which may be a technique issue on my part. They certainly don`t lint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    ... I also have a box of the Griot`s disposable glass wipes, based on Accumulator`s recommendation, I do use them but frequently they bunch up on me, which may be a technique issue on my part. They certainly don`t lint.

Always happy to help you spend your money

Yeah, depending how how fold/hold/crumple them they can indeed bunch up. I find that crumpling them into a shape that I can grasp firmly generally works better than having them neatly folded/laid flat on the glass. Per usual, I also recommend fogging the surface with one`s breath before the final wipe, helps the Window Wipe move smoothly across the glass.

I`ve been using those things since GG first offered them and they`ve been updated a few times, always with positive results. Part of my enthusiasm for them might be related to years of experience with `em.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a bunch of huck rags. I`ve also got all sorts of MF "glass" towels. None of them perform miracles. They all work OK. Temper your expectations, @jwyfk.
    Likes Stokdgs, jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve tried the surgical hucks and, as noted, they didn`t work well at all. Have tried a variety of `glass towels` and the best solution I`ve found are the twisted loop towels like Griots PFM, Gyeon Silk Dryer and similar. Kinda now cleaning windows with Gyeon Silk Mitt, easier for me than towels that bunch up. I`m a complete idiot when it comes to interior stuff so I had to find the `lowest common denominator` method to avoid mental breakdowns when cleaning interior glass.
    Likes SWETM, jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Always happy to help you spend your money
    Heck, I don`t need any help with that...and besides it was forever ago. I think the most annoying thing about most (MF) glass towels is the lint...that you don`t realize got left there until those headlights are in your eyes. So, as I said the Griot`s wipes don`t leave any, and the Huck-style towels if they leave lint it`s bigger and it`s not stuck to the glass the way MF lint is.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that is a surgical nurse. In the hospital where he works they take a given number of surgical hucks into a surgery depending on the type of procedure. The hucks they don’t use they pitch (your insurance dollars at work) because they’ve been exposed to the surgical atmosphere. He brought me a couple hundred hucks that were brand new blue hucks. I washed them twice and proceeded to clean windows with them. They linted worse than any other product I’ve used. It really concerned me because of the amount of lint. I’m thinking to myself some of this has got to end up in the guy on the table. I would not recommend hucks for windows or perhaps for surgery. They work great for suspension and underhood stuff. Use them once and pitch them.

Now having said all this I have no doubt that there are different brands and quality of hucks but the ones I’ve used are a no go.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

.. I think the most annoying thing about most (MF) glass towels is the lint...
    Yeah, all of my MFs eventually have done that, even the no-nap Glass Towels. BUT the PFMs for Glass haven`t linted yet. If/when they do they`ll join the others for Household Duty, where linting isn`t as critical an issue. I like them so much that I`ll stick with them even if they need occasional replacement, though I sure wish they`d make them bigger. The tiny size is not at all practical for me, need a scad of `em to get anything significant done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, all of my MFs eventually have done that, even the no-nap Glass Towels. BUT the PFMs for Glass haven`t linted yet. If/when they do they`ll join the others for Household Duty, where linting isn`t as critical an issue. I like them so much that I`ll stick with them even if they need occasional replacement, though I sure wish they`d make them bigger. The tiny size is not at all practical for me, need a scad of `em to get anything significant done.
    Lately I`ve been using dedicated waffle weaves which seem to be better with the lint. BTW, TRC makes a 16" "twisted loop" towel that they recommend for glass, although it doesn`t have the two discrete sides like that Griot`s towel.
    Last edited by Setec Astronomy; 08-09-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Jwyfk --
    I just keep it really simple, well worn 100% cotton face towels, that are not too thick.. I refer to the long, rectangular shaped, not too wide, face drying towels..

They are sometimes washed with distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle too.. And NEVER Dryer Coating Sheets, liquids, pods, etc... Yuck...
    They never bunch up or act weird on glass, they always get everything off the glass and they dont lint..

Think about this -- if microfiber is made of some type of material that has any kind of plastic, type, etc., stuff in it, then of course when you drag it across something like glass, it is not going to move easily and it will pull some stuff off of it, no ??

REAL (well as much as we hope it is) cotton is made from plants that do not get "sticky" on glass, in my experiences..
    Dan F
    Thanks jwyfk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lately I`ve been using dedicated waffle weaves which seem to be better with the lint..
    I still have one WWMF that doesn`t lint on glass, I use it for a quickie pass when drying, before the Serious Glass Work, which isn`t done until the very end.

BTW, TRC makes a 16" "twisted loop" towel that they recommend for glass, although it doesn`t have the two discreet sides like that Griot`s towel.
    To my surprise, I *like* having the no-nap side on the GG, although it does maybe make that "fog with breath" mandatory.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using Huck towels for the past 10 years or more--never had a linting problem. I fined them excellent for cleaning glass of all sorts--the heft (if that`s a word) keep the towel from rolling up as you wipe and the weave of the towel makes removal of the soil easy. Tried every other type of towel and always go back to the Huck towels.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    I`ve been using Huck towels for the past 10 years or more--never had a linting problem.. Tried every other type of towel and always go back to the Huck towels.
    See how YMMV! I`m just glad that people do find approaches that work for them, even if those approaches don`t work for me.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Premium Korean Microfiber 16 x 16 Blue Glass and Window Towel. I use a mf glass towel like this. No nap or knitted nap it`s called. They excelled even more when I started to wash them seperated. The nap is so grabby that they could draw out mf strands from the other mf towels in the washer. Then getting that lint be put on the glass. The biggest drawback is that they can be some grabby or very grabby when the glass gets clean and the glass cleaner evaporate to fast. And I started to use a little more glass cleaner and work a little faster. Still get spotless glass when the glass cleaner evaporate off streak free. So it`s important for me to use a glass cleaner that don`t evaporate so fast like Sonax Glass Cleaner that you can get here. The best glass cleaner I have used in the cleaning ability is Angelwax Vision. It`s a very potent cleaner for glass and works awesome. The only downside is since it`s so strong it`s also a very high chemical smell from it. So I tend to use it on only outside glass. Then the Sonax is real good and I use on the inside glass. Since it`s a very clinging when sprayed on glass so you don`t have to think of and runny mess. I have also used Scholl Ice glass cleaner with water repellent properties on the inside glass to cars with fog issues. And it`s also like Sonax Glass Cleaner that it`s a clinging effect that works great on interior glass.

I think that I`m going to try out PFM style glass towels. Think it`s going to be the Gyeon Silk towel.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, jwyfk liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information