Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone still use surgical/huck towels for windows?

Yeah, lots to learn on that point from Edison too; even if, IMO, he was an utterly despicable human being.

Stokdgs- Funny how so many "Words of Wisdom" are used utterly out of context, devoid of their original references and thus meaning, sometimes being twisted to the opposite message of what was intended...Which gets me thinking how "a little learning is a dangerous thing" Gotta admit it`s a Pet Peeve of mine as I see it contributing to the dumbing-down of our society.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was away for several days, sorry about the slow response! I really wanted to try huck towels and maybe I will someday. However, as Setec Astronomy mentioned earlier in the thread, the quality of the product is going to vary. The new huck towels I saw on Amazon all had complaints about how thin they were and would fall apart and deteriorate after washing. I`m sure there`s a source for quality towels somewhere online, I just didn`t feel it was worth the trouble.

I decided to buy some dedicated glass towels from The Rag Company. They sell blue Korean towels, as well as green Chinese. The person I spoke to on the phone recommended the Chinese ones because of how thick they are. You also get more than twice as many for about the same price. They take some getting used to because if there`s not enough glass cleaner on the rag, they really grip the glass suddenly and can fall out of your hand if you`re not careful. Coming from someone who has only used paper towels on glass, these are absolutely amazing to me! No streaks and no lint. The only complaint is that the ends curl after washing. I did follow the instructions carefully (wash in warm or cooler, dry on low heat).

I also bought some Sprayway glass cleaner that I plan to try next time. I tried Stoner years ago and it didn`t impress me at all. It doesn`t work nearly as well as this stuff I`ve been buying from a local car wash for 20 years. I`m sure they just get it from a detailing supply company and slap their name on it. It`s the best stuff I`ve used, but I hate the smell! Also, I don`t know if it contains ammonia, or even if that matters.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwyfk View Post
    I was away for several days, sorry about the slow response! I really wanted to try huck towels and maybe I will someday. However, as Setec Astronomy mentioned earlier in the thread, the quality of the product is going to vary. The new huck towels I saw on Amazon all had complaints about how thin they were and would fall apart and deteriorate after washing. I`m sure there`s a source for quality towels somewhere online, I just didn`t feel it was worth the trouble.

I decided to buy some dedicated glass towels from The Rag Company. They sell blue Korean towels, as well as green Chinese. The person I spoke to on the phone recommended the Chinese ones because of how thick they are. You also get more than twice as many for about the same price. They take some getting used to because if there`s not enough glass cleaner on the rag, they really grip the glass suddenly and can fall out of your hand if you`re not careful. Coming from someone who has only used paper towels on glass, these are absolutely amazing to me! No streaks and no lint. The only complaint is that the ends curl after washing. I did follow the instructions carefully (wash in warm or cooler, dry on low heat).

I also bought some Sprayway glass cleaner that I plan to try next time. I tried Stoner years ago and it didn`t impress me at all. It doesn`t work nearly as well as this stuff I`ve been buying from a local car wash for 20 years. I`m sure they just get it from a detailing supply company and slap their name on it. It`s the best stuff I`ve used, but I hate the smell! Also, I don`t know if it contains ammonia, or even if that matters.
    """Also, I don`t know if it contains ammonia, or even if that matters.[/QUOTE]

Well, it may matter if you are washing windows that are tinted..
    Dan F
    Likes rlmccarty2000, jwyfk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed! My beloved Zep40 can`t be used on a *LOT* of things; it`ll compromise tint films in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    """Also, I don`t know if it contains ammonia, or even if that matters.
    Dan F[/QUOTE]

Good catch and needs to be repeated in any thread talking about window cleaning and cleaners. Most household window cleaners contain ammonia because it’s cheap (and it works), but it is bad on tinted windows. Most of the window cleaners sold here are ammonia free.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Dan F
    I did read something about that, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had any luck with ammonia infused window cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    I’ve never had any luck with ammonia infused window cleaners.
    I won`t generalize based on ammonia/no but the Zep40 and one old variety of Windex are *VERY* effective for me. When it comes to "cutting the crud" type cleaning of glass, those completely outperform my other Glass Cleaners, even the ones I think are really great and prefer using.

But given the potential downsides I guess there`s no real reason to go for the ammonia infused ones...

Post Thanks / Like

Another huck towel user since 2004. Wash them by themselves and they won`t attract lint. My huck towels are the thicker OR type and have never left lint and they last for decades if you take reasonable care of them. My glass has never been cleaner. The newer huck towels that are thin seem to be junk and lint a lot IME. Look for the thicker OR type.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...otos/MR2jf.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update:

My Huck Towels are working just fine now.

I was using ONR/WGURW/UWW+, and whatever other rinseless washes I had mixed up. The results were always very mixed.

Well today I was in town and stopped into the store and tabbed an aerosol can of invisible glass.

Came home and grabbed a couple Huck Towels to clean the bathroom mirror. This is usually my first step because it saves me the effort of going outside and contorting inside my freakin car. Huck Towels and invisible glass seemed to do the trick so outside I went.

It was dusk, so I was using a flashlight to inspect as I went around my car cleaning. Two towels, as per usual.

As far as I can tell my windows are crystal freaking clear. Very pleased with the results. Apparently all I needed was to stop trying to use rinseless wash to clean the inside of my windows.

Based on this I may just have to buy a gallon of alcohol based glass cleaner concentrate. Or just buy invisible glass cans, but I’m very partial to the value of concentrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finick View Post
    Just an update:

My Huck Towels are working just fine now.

I was using ONR/WGURW/UWW+, and whatever other rinseless washes I had mixed up. The results were always very mixed.

Well today I was in town and stopped into the store and tabbed an aerosol can of invisible glass.

Came home and grabbed a couple Huck Towels to clean the bathroom mirror. This is usually my first step because it saves me the effort of going outside and contorting inside my freakin car. Huck Towels and invisible glass seemed to do the trick so outside I went.

It was dusk, so I was using a flashlight to inspect as I went around my car cleaning. Two towels, as per usual.

As far as I can tell my windows are crystal freaking clear. Very pleased with the results. Apparently all I needed was to stop trying to use rinseless wash to clean the inside of my windows.

Based on this I may just have to buy a gallon of alcohol based glass cleaner concentrate. Or just buy invisible glass cans, but I’m very partial to the value of concentrates.

Try some Nextzett Glass Cleaner, it’s concentrated even though it comes in a spray bottle (don’t know why it is sold that way). It’s cheap and it’s the best glass cleaner I have used.
    Likes finick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Try some Nextzett Glass Cleaner, it’s concentrated even though it comes in a spray bottle (don’t know why it is sold that way). It’s cheap and it’s the best glass cleaner I have used.
    I’ll put it on the list of options.

I was leaning towards 3D 50:1 or meguiars d120, but I would love a smaller option for a concentrate (like 32 or 64oz would be cool.)

Nextzett looks more in line with the amount I’d like to have around. Detailed image website says can be diluted up to 2:1, which would get me a decent amount. Rinseless washes seem to do just fine on the outside of the windows, so it’ll only really be used to clean the interiors.

Post Thanks / Like

On the Nextzett website they say that the Glass Cleaner can be diluted 1:1 and on another page they say 6:1. I usually just use it undiluted because I’m lazy. It’s strong. I often get pecan tree sap on my windshield and it cuts through it like nothing and always leaves them streakfree. I’ve used many different types of glass cleaner and I always go back to Nextzett.

Post Thanks / Like

finick- Ah, glad you got it sorted out! I can`t do glass with a Rinseless either..

I really like the 3D 50:1 (despite not expecting to), with the possible exception of *one* characteristic- it leaves something behind *which I don`t mind* and/but that something doesn`t "die off cleanly". Get the glass 100% perfect...[time passes]..after a (long?) while the glass needs redone again, and at that point I see a sorta-smearing that looks the way glass does when it was badly cleaned. Seems like whatever is left behind conceals the imperfect cleaning. Does conceal it fine, not a biggie, but it`s not quite the same as using some other Glass Cleaners that I suspect get the glass *actually* clean(er).

Always curious whether anybody else using the 3D experiences this..

I do still use/like/recommend the stuff, and a gallon of 50:1 is gonna last me a long, long time.

And/but, when faced with truly *dirty* glass, I still haven`t found anything that cleans like Zep40 (which will destroy tint films in a heartbeat and really ought be kept off of a lot of surfaces, so no free lunch).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    snip
    It’s funny because on the outside it works just fine. Maybe that’s because the air can help dry it off, or because the windows are treated.. who knows, maybe the outside isn’t as clean as I think it is.

The smearing you’re talking about with 3D 50:1 kind of sounds like what I experience with rinseless washes. Windows look great upon completion, and then a week or two later I start seeing streaks in the direction I clean them in. Coincidentally all my rinseless washes also leave some type of polymer behind, so maybe 3D is also putting a little somethin somethin in their cleaner.

I’ll have to try and find samples of the 3D 50:1, or d120. I used d120 something like 10 years ago if I’m not mistaken, and really enjoyed it. I’d have to assume most of the “mild” glass cleaner concentrates are pretty similar, but I could be wrong.

I certainly know that windex, at least the stuff from Costco, doesn’t work well at all for me.

All things considered though, invisible glass cans aren’t exactly expensive at like 3.50, and the aerosol lasts so freaking long. I imagine it being less wet because it’s a foam helps as well. Less to soak up and stuff.

I’ll also keep a lookout for zep40, just in case I clean a smokers car again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information