Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a short-bristle tire brush and dressing applicator

Do they ever do free shipping

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK TOL never offers free shipping or even any real discounts. I suspect they`re focused on Pros/commercial accounts these days. Irene is one of those people that I don`t mind spending a little more money with, but yeah..gotta give some thought to how you do the order. I oughta get some more Protein Stain Remover one of these days anyhow and we`ll see what else..

But if I had to pay that I would, they work *that* much better for me. Not that I`d want somebody else to spend big money on `em bases solely on my opinion, that`d be a lot of $ down the drain if they weren`t All That.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ...but it`s a bit too stiff for some of my tires.
    What is too stiff for a tire brush? I quite like a stiff nylon brush for tires. I avoid rims with these brushes but I’ve never seen any harm to rubber.

I have zero idea what I`ll use when I run out of the pad refills, the "bristles" of these pads is perfect for the lettering and other textured [nonsense] they mold into the sidewalls; they get *everything* properly treated without leaving too much product behind (needing to be wiped off my an old MF)...
    Wondering if you’ve tried the Carrand brush for applying your tire products? If not, I’d recommend giving them a shot, super easy to control to get right next to a wheel and in all nooks and crannies. Works well to drag any extra product to the dry spots.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    What is too stiff for a tire brush? I quite like a stiff nylon brush for tires. I avoid rims with these brushes but I’ve never seen any harm to rubber..
    I`ve scoured up soft Summer Compound tires with regular "Tire Brushes".

Wondering if you’ve tried the Carrand brush for applying your tire products?
    Probably not the specific one you`re thinking about, but I`ve looked at their offerings and none have the bristles I`d want for this. I gave up brushes for this long ago as the flexing/etc. of the bristles sometimes spattered product.

A short-bristled BHB might not be bad once it soaked long enough for the bristles to become limp and blotted off all the excess. Still have to go over them for a while with a pair of MFs (one slightly damp with dressing, one dry), but I`ll always have to do that anyhow;I`ll *always* have to use something thin to get right up to the rim on a few of my wheels.

I suppose that my "Minimal Product" dictum factors in too; if I slathered more product on it`d be a different situation.

Eh, Hope I don`t sound closed-minded, but that applicator with pad that TOL sells is 100% what I want to use. The only downside was finding refill pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Probably not the specific one you`re thinking about, but I`ve looked at their offerings and none have the bristles I`d want for this.
    Not trying to sell you on anything you don’t want to try but at $5 this is good product. It’s about palm sized and the clear collar on the brush slides down to make getting next to the wheel a no brainer and to protect the bristles when you aren’t using it. This brush uses a splayed bristle, it’s soft like a shaving brush. It doesn’t sling product if used with just a little bit of care. In fact I’ve never used anything easier to get right up close to a wheel without getting product on the wheel and the bristles get into tight places that I find more difficult to reach with the sponge type applicators.

Looking for a short-bristle tire brush and dressing applicator-f140ea41-40e0-4400-8504-1c0bac5f9f07.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, The Guz, RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Carrand brush looks like it would be good for people who want to slather on a thick, glistening layer of dressing, but I only want to put on the tiniest amount to make it dark matte, and then buff it off anyway.
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Mother`s wheel brush, but the bristles are probably too long for what you want.

For tire dressing I use this. The first time I bought them it was under the Carrand name, but I`ve found the exact same applicator in many different store with brand names ranging from Chemical Guys to some generic WalMart store brand. Typically they are in a pack of two for around $5.

Looking for a short-bristle tire brush and dressing applicator-51yqhh1k9ul._sx679_.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The Carrand brush looks like it would be good for people who want to slather on a thick, glistening layer of dressing, but I only want to put on the tiniest amount to make it dark matte, and then buff it off anyway.

Beanbag --
    This sponge absolutely works great for precise application of - in my experiences - Tuf-Shine Clearcoat.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.W2ytf9XFj3g

Very nice tight foam, does not absorb a lot of your product. Just the right size and thickness for a normal sized hand.. Precise, tight edges that allow precise application of product.
    Washes out really easily and can be reused over and over..

I even use this for all Coating, Sealant, etc., applications.. Very inexpensive, easy to buy a couple of packs when you order other supplies..

Hope they never stop making them..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why this perception but that certainly isn’t the look I go after and not what I end up with when using it. Shine on tires makes me nauseous. Matte, dark and dry is the look I’m after and yeah I use a towel if I over apply. Never had a problem getting this result when using this brush and Poorboy’s Bold-n-Brite.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Tuf Shine orange sponge (along with their Tire Clearcoat), and the sponge does not work well. It totally misses the spaces between the small raised lettering. I had to dab and "jam it in" to get those spots filled, and then it drenched the area with too much product.

I do agree that it is good for applying thin layers of product on smooth surfaces, though.
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Tuf Shine orange sponge (along with their Tire Clearcoat), and the sponge does not work well. It totally misses the spaces between the small raised lettering. I had to dab and "jam it in" to get those spots filled, and then it drenched the area with too much product.

I do agree that it is good for applying thin layers of product on smooth surfaces, though.
    Sorry this Tuf Shine Orange Applicator Sponge is not working for you.. Did this happen with a new, clean, sponge ??

I have coated dozens of Client`s tires with raised white letters on them, and have never had an issue with it..

My `09 Grand Cherokee came new with raised white letter tires, so there was even more tires to perfect my process on for 6 years alone..

First off, I never put so much product into the sponge that it will run all over the place like it has done for you..

I just shake up the Clearcoat really well, then carefully pour a little line of it on the first quarter of the sponge, and since it just sits there and does not quickly absorb, I take a finger and spread it up and down the area so it is absorbed into the bottom of the sponge..

And if for some reason it does want to run, well, I use the sponge to catch it and absorb it..

I have been able to put just enough downward pressure on it when over those letters, etc., that the product just gets in between them, and they are good..
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That was always my experience with sponges too. I doubt I`ve used the Tuf Shine one, although it does look like a freebie I got with an order once, but if it behaved like that for beanbag I`m confident my experience would be the same.

Gearhead_1- Similarly, I just don`t see how any plastic-bristle brush would be different from the ones I`ve tried, but *NO* I`ve never tried that one. What might I be missing, having tried as many brushes as I have sponges? When a given approach fails to satisfy me over countless tries/a few decades, I just stick with a different approach that`s dead-nuts simple and gives the exact result I`m after. Just a happy fluke perhaps, but the one I`m using couldn`t be better if I had a magic wand, one of the few Detailing Tools I`m 100% satisfied with.

I will say this- if the applicator pads I like ever *do* go away, and I ever do use up my refills, then I`ll try both that Tuf Shine Sponge and the Carrand Brush.

Post Thanks / Like

TBH - I don’t use the orange sponge anymore. It works ok - but it soaks up a ton of product IME. Was using a Carrand tire brush for a while - but God only knows where that went?

Since TS isn’t cheap - I’m trying to use every drop. So, what I’ve found works best is a stiff round boars hair paintbrush - like the kind detailers use to clean stuff. I use the Race Glaze ones.

Absorbs almost zero product, just rinses clean, and can easily brush in letters or recessed on tires. May take a second more to use - I dunno - but does a much better job.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d recommend the tuff shine tire brush and carrand tire dressing applicator (which requires a little breaking in)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    These are the two I was talking about. The first is the Tuf Shine and the second is similar but has a handle that`s a little easier to hold onto when it`s wet.

Setec Astronomy,

Can you tell me who makes the bottom brush with the non slip handle?

Thanks in advance,

kajunman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information