Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar`s Hyper Wash actual pH

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have Optimum Car Wash and it`s a really nice car wash shampoo, for sure.. Optimum only says on the bottle that it will help keep their Optimum Car Wax on the car.. They say nothing about how it works on an Optimum Coated vehicle..
    I know its a very nice car wash but so are a lot of others in that price range....

On all our Optimum Coated vehicles at the time, it worked great and the coating always looked and acted right..
    Optimum Car Wash is currently my favorite shampoo and I use it on every vehicle I wash. So far, it`s been used on CQuartz, McKee`s 37, and Gyeon CanCoat coatings with great results. I`ve also used it on Collinite 845.

In every instance there was no change in the properties of the LSP. To me that`s a good indication of the shampoo rinsing away and not leaving anything behind. Optimum really combines the best properties of several shampoo`s I`ve tried into one product.
    Likes Dr Oldz, Stokdgs, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never understood why anybody would like Gold Class, but I guess it`s both commonly available and better than stuff like Westley`s and TW`s Zip Wax. It was OK for the wells/etc. but nothing I`d spend money for.

ValuGard`s "C" is ph-neutral and even though I don`t like that shampoo either, it does clean things fine. I used mine up on wheels/wells/etc. and it was plenty good at cleaning those.

Post Thanks / Like

I still like Optimum and my only negative is that is seems to be a bit more difficult to rinse. It smells great, cleans well, and foams very well. I use it less than printed dilution too.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I still like Optimum and my only negative is that is seems to be a bit more difficult to rinse. It smells great, cleans well, and foams very well. I use it less than printed dilution too.
    Al I find the exact opposite. I think it’s one of the easiest soaps to rinse. What dilution are u using it?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Remember how water quality factors in with regard to rinsing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Remember how water quality factors in with regard to rinsing...
    Very true. The reason I asked Bunky that was because when optimum soap first came out it was 1oz per gallon. Now it is 1/2oz per gallon. I know he is using it for a while like myself. I didn’t realize they changed it a while back and had the same issue as Al till I realized there was a formula change.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite two soaps for coated cars are Reset and Optimum. Ultima is good too, but pricey. I bought some of the new McKees Coating Prep Soap that is supposed to clean coated vehicles but I haven’t tried it yet. Any soap that doesn’t leave any type of wax type substance behind should be good. Dodo Supernatural was the first “pure” soap I ever tried, but it was just too expensive to use on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    My favorite two soaps for coated cars are Reset and Optimum. Ultima is good too, but pricey. I bought some of the new McKees Coating Prep Soap that is supposed to clean coated vehicles but I haven’t tried it yet. Any soap that doesn’t leave any type of wax type substance behind should be good. Dodo Supernatural was the first “pure” soap I ever tried, but it was just too expensive to use on a regular basis.
    Be careful with that McKee`s Coating Prep Wash. I texted Nick and he said it was coating safe but it did degrade the Sonax coating that I had on my car. Given that it was on the paint for 11 months.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Be careful with that McKee`s Coating Prep Wash. I texted Nick and he said it was coating safe but it did degrade the Sonax coating that I had on my car. Given that it was on the paint for 11 months.
    Thanks for the heads up. If I remember correctly Sonax coating was rated for 12 months by Sonax right? Not knocking Sonax at all, as I feel 12 months is the max I expect a coating to last. At 12 months a coating will most likely have some scratches and marring anyways. Did Nick say why their soap affected Sonax’s coating? If it is supposed to be coating safe I would expect it to be safe for all coatings. I wanted to try it on my coating near the end (judged by lack of beading) of its life to see if I could clean/rejuvenate it somewhat, but if it affects or removes the coating I will skip it until I get ready to recoat the vehicle. What’s your take on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. If I remember correctly Sonax coating was rated for 12 months by Sonax right? Not knocking Sonax at all, as I feel 12 months is the max I expect a coating to last. At 12 months a coating will most likely have some scratches and marring anyways. Did Nick say why their soap affected Sonax’s coating? If it is supposed to be coating safe I would expect it to be safe for all coatings. I wanted to try it on my coating near the end (judged by lack of beading) of its life to see if I could clean/rejuvenate it somewhat, but if it affects or removes the coating I will skip it until I get ready to recoat the vehicle. What’s your take on this?
    I didn’t ask Nick other than asking him if it is coating safe. All I know is I won’t be using it on coated paint. I’ll stick with Reset for a stronger wash.

Yes Sonax is a 1 year coating and was going to make it easily and then some but the coating prep wash degraded it and impacted the hydrophobic properties of it. Also no marring or scratches in the paint whatsoever in that time. Made my life easier when it came to recapture with CQUK 3.0. It all comes down to wash technique.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never understood why anybody would like Gold Class, but I guess it`s both commonly available and better than stuff like Westley`s and TW`s Zip Wax.
    I think you nailed it. You`re reasoning is exactly how I ended up using the stuff for years. I was sick of the really cheap stuff leaving streaks and residue while not cleaning very well. Moving up to the Gold Class was a big deal. Of course once I started shopping around some of the shampoos on AG I realized Gold Class really isn`t that special after all. Nearly everything I tried was better.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Yeah, it *is* better than the cheapies! Guess I never appreciated it because I went from bottom-shelf to (then) top-shelf, so the GC was a step backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never understood why anybody would like Gold Class, but I guess it`s both commonly available and better than stuff like Westley`s and TW`s Zip Wax. It was OK for the wells/etc. but nothing I`d spend money for.
    I used Sonax years ago, then tried Gold Class when I ran out. I honestly don`t remember a difference. They both work well and smell good. GC was way more economical and available locally, so I stuck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Al I find the exact opposite. I think it’s one of the easiest soaps to rinse. What dilution are u using it?
    Agree, I keep coming back to Optimum Car Wash because it rinses better for me. I do like to experiment, but I just threw out the second bottle (bought two) of Adams Ultra Foam Shampoo because my windows had a film on them no matter how quickly I rinsed it off. The Adams was highly rated by various YouTube Detailers but didn`t work for me.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwyfk View Post
    I used Sonax years ago, then tried Gold Class when I ran out. I honestly don`t remember a difference. They both work well and smell good. GC was way more economical and available locally, so I stuck with it.
    The Sonax car soap is in the same level as Gold Class IMO. Even if Sonax has some of the top of the line products know. But it has not always been so. They have really came up to a high quality and effective products the last years. And have been a OFC brand for many years in the EU. But like Meguiars products they have products more to the pros and enthusiasts detailers. The range of products they offer here is most those products. But they have alot of other products too.

We think how it could be that a general car soap could be any better. And if it`s worth the extra cost some has. But if you think about it we try to get minimal wash indused swirls when washing and we try different methods to get there. Then in the same time we can cheap out on products that we are regualar touching our vehicals with. Sure the top $ products are not always better and an OFC product can be really great. But here you have a great opertunity and get great advises on the pro stuff and the hidden economical gems that works. Many of the products you don`t see a difference with after the first use. But in the longrun when you get to for an example your reapplication of your LSP. Then you can see a difference on the amount of the wash indused swirls and the amount of bonded contaminants and such. So if I could find products that help me to hold down the work I need to be putting in in the future. I`m sold on trying some them out. Says the guy whos favorite effective car soap for many years was Turtle Wax Superwash LOL. Which is a kind of prep soap that is petroleum based and applyied directly to the wash sponge. Cause it`s not water soluble. Think like the Meguiars Wash+. Whatever LSP I had put on was gone after the first wash LOL.
    Likes jwyfk liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information