Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s Hyper Wash actual pH

I`ve used Meguiar`s Gold Class for years, but my bottle is empty now and I want to try something new, especially since my car will be ceramic coated shortly. One of the car washes that consistently gets good reviews, is supposedly safe to use on ceramic coatings and is also economical, is Meguiar`s Hyper Wash. However, I came across a post on another forum stating that even though it`s mentioned as being pH neutral online, it`s actually alkaline and can strip wax or sealant. One seller online states "The pH neutral formula is very gentle and it will not strip off any sealant or wax on the surface." However, if you look at the MSDS here, you`ll see that the pH is listed as being 9-9.8! Not even close:

http://www.meguiars.com/content/es/msds/D110%20SDS.pdf

So, does "pH balance" actually matter? What does that even mean? You can "balance" the pH at 4 or 10, I suppose. If you`re judging by pH, this stuff is more alkaline than Dawn dish soap.

I`d really like to buy some Hyper wash, but if Optimum Car Wash, although less concentrated and economical, would be safer for my coating, especially since it`s made by the company that designed the coating itself, I`ll go that route. What do you think I should get?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar`s Hyper Wash actual pH

Quote Originally Posted by jwyfk View Post
    I`ve used Meguiar`s Gold Class for years, but my bottle is empty now and I want to try something new, especially since my car will be ceramic coated shortly. One of the car washes that consistently gets good reviews, is supposedly safe to use on ceramic coatings and is also economical, is Meguiar`s Hyper Wash. However, I came across a post on another forum stating that even though it`s mentioned as being pH neutral online, it`s actually alkaline and can strip wax or sealant. One seller online states "The pH neutral formula is very gentle and it will not strip off any sealant or wax on the surface." However, if you look at the MSDS here, you`ll see that the pH is listed as being 9-9.8! Not even close:

So, does "pH balance" actually matter? What does that even mean? You can "balance" the pH at 4 or 10, I suppose. If you`re judging by pH, this stuff is more alkaline than Dawn dish soap.

I`d really like to buy some Hyper wash, but if Optimum Car Wash, although less concentrated and economical, would be safer for my coating, especially since it`s made by the company that designed the coating itself, I`ll go that route. What do you think I should get?
    I have Optimum Car Wash and it`s a really nice car wash shampoo, for sure.. Optimum only says on the bottle that it will help keep their Optimum Car Wax on the car.. They say nothing about how it works on an Optimum Coated vehicle..
    I know its a very nice car wash but so are a lot of others in that price range..

I have only used Carpro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo on Coated vehicles, since it first came out a long time ago. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carp...l#.W2ktDtXFj3g

On all our Optimum Coated vehicles at the time, it worked great and the coating always looked and acted right..

When everything went ker-blammo, and I was driving thousands of miles a year between WA, CA, and TX, I got away from washing the Grand Cherokee completely (since it was Coated, it never really got that dirty anyway) and had to rely on Touchless Washes that added all those colored flavors of crap on the car and eventually, it looked and acted terribly..

Got a house again, got my Shop set up again, started using Reset again, and after a few washes, the Coating was uncovered and started acting like the Coating again..

Reset makes a lot of nice slippery soap and suds.. It is easy to use and never hurts my again coated Grand Cherokee.. (Optimum 2.0).
    Also had enough to Coat my 2007 Acura TL Type-S and it also looks fabulous. The last 4,000 mile round trip and another 1,000 miles while there, in 2016, and the Acura looks amazing.. Coating is there and not even thinking of leaving..
    Dan F
    Likes SWETM, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks jwyfk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The pH on the MSDS is for when it is at full concentration. In practice (i.e. recommended dilution) it is slightly basic. For example, I have tap water that is pH 8.8 and the Hyperwash pushed it up to 9. I also have reverse osmosis water water at pH 6.0, and the Hyperwash pushed it up to 8.4. These are not scary values. Google what is the typical range of tap water pH, and it can be as high as 9.5.
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been using hyper wash on all my personal and clients coated vehicles for a while now with no issues. Foams great and is priced good. I also like Reset but its a bit pricey
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes trashmanssd, The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The pH on the MSDS is for when it is at full concentration.
    This.

Post Thanks / Like

pH drops 1 point for every 10x dilution. I wouldn`t even worry about the pH of a shampoo to begin with because if it`s safe enough to put your hand in the bucket, it won`t be alkaline enough to do anything
    Likes fly07sti liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I think this whole PH balanced shampoo thing is crap. Don’t matter when your adding it to a bunch of water tbh. Shouldn’t we really be testing out water if it really mattered that much?

I guess next “super shampoo” will have a PH test kit and medicine droppers with it to get that “perfect PH” lol
    Likes fly07sti, Stokdgs, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Thanks jwyfk, VitreousHumor thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I used the gold class for a long time too. Then I tried the optimum and I like it better. To me it seems like the suds are more creamy than the gold class

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have Optimum Car Wash and it`s a really nice car wash shampoo, for sure.. Optimum only says on the bottle that it will help keep their Optimum Car Wax on the car.. They say nothing about how it works on an Optimum Coated vehicle..
    I know its a very nice car wash but so are a lot of others in that price range..

I have only used Carpro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo on Coated vehicles, since it first came out a long time ago. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carp...l#.W2ktDtXFj3g

On all our Optimum Coated vehicles at the time, it worked great and the coating always looked and acted right..

When everything went ker-blammo, and I was driving thousands of miles a year between WA, CA, and TX, I got away from washing the Grand Cherokee completely (since it was Coated, it never really got that dirty anyway) and had to rely on Touchless Washes that added all those colored flavors of crap on the car and eventually, it looked and acted terribly..

Got a house again, got my Shop set up again, started using Reset again, and after a few washes, the Coating was uncovered and started acting like the Coating again..

Reset makes a lot of nice slippery soap and suds.. It is easy to use and never hurts my again coated Grand Cherokee.. (Optimum 2.0).
    Also had enough to Coat my 2007 Acura TL Type-S and it also looks fabulous. The last 4,000 mile round trip and another 1,000 miles while there, in 2016, and the Acura looks amazing.. Coating is there and not even thinking of leaving..
    Dan F
    Reset sounds like great stuff, but even though it`s concentrated, it`s still outrageously expensive. I`ll keep an eye out for a sale, but in the mean time, I ordered a gallon of Optimum Car Wash. What I could do is use the Optimum most of the time and use the Reset once in a while to see if it makes a difference. I also ordered some Hyper Seal, MDR and FerreX.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The pH on the MSDS is for when it is at full concentration. In practice (i.e. recommended dilution) it is slightly basic. For example, I have tap water that is pH 8.8 and the Hyperwash pushed it up to 9. I also have reverse osmosis water water at pH 6.0, and the Hyperwash pushed it up to 8.4. These are not scary values. Google what is the typical range of tap water pH, and it can be as high as 9.5.
    That makes sense, but mentioned this because some advertisements stating it`s neutral or pH balanced. I just wanted to get some opinions about this. Speaking of pH balance, is anyone old enough to remember these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7YYNaNy520
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwyfk View Post

The SDS sheet for Gold Class shows the pH to be 8-9.5....did you find that it did anything to the protection you had on the car at the time?

Post Thanks / Like

[INSERT usual negative opinion of Gold Class Shampoo...]

Noting that I know very little about coatings...aren`t they supposed to be more-or-less impervious to stuff like Auto Shampoos? I`ve used some pretty potent APCs on my coated wheels a few times and it never appeared to compromise the OptiCoat.

I`ve sometimes thought of getting the Hyper Wash the next time I need something for wheels/wheelwells/undercarriage. Is it really tough on conventional LSPs? Wondering since folks are concerned about it compromising coatings...

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Jwyfk --
    Tks for your reply !
    Your plan sounds like a good one to me..
    Perhaps when you have time, go over to the Optimum Forum and see if someone has already figured this out with Optimum..
    You may be able to correspond with the Optimum people or better still send an email to Dr. Ghoudossi who made the product..
    Optimum Car Wash is a great product for sure...
    Opti-Seal Clear Spray is also a nice product that is easy to use.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti...l#.W2tE09XFj3g
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    The SDS sheet for Gold Class shows the pH to be 8-9.5....did you find that it did anything to the protection you had on the car at the time?
    I did notice that about Gold Class, but the reason I asked about Hyper Wash is because of the pH selling point. I never had a problem with Gold Class that I`m aware of, but thought I`d look for something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    [INSERT usual negative opinion of Gold Class Shampoo...]

Noting that I know very little about coatings...aren`t they supposed to be more-or-less impervious to stuff like Auto Shampoos? I`ve used some pretty potent APCs on my coated wheels a few times and it never appeared to compromise the OptiCoat.

I`ve sometimes thought of getting the Hyper Wash the next time I need something for wheels/wheelwells/undercarriage. Is it really tough on conventional LSPs? Wondering since folks are concerned about it compromising coatings...
    I`ve never had my vehicle coated before, so that`s why I want to make sure, especially considering the cost involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Jwyfk --
    Tks for your reply !
    Your plan sounds like a good one to me..
    Perhaps when you have time, go over to the Optimum Forum and see if someone has already figured this out with Optimum..
    You may be able to correspond with the Optimum people or better still send an email to Dr. Ghoudossi who made the product..
    Optimum Car Wash is a great product for sure...
    Opti-Seal Clear Spray is also a nice product that is easy to use.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti...l#.W2tE09XFj3g
    Dan F
    I`ll check out the forum, thank you. I`ve had great luck calling them on the phone. They`re an excellent company and very helpful. I also had a similar experience when I called The Rag Company to ask questions. Nice people. Opti Seal is good, but Hyper Seal is supposed to be the improved version, isn`t it? I know you can`t use Hyper Seal for a week, but Opti Seal can be used right away.

Post Thanks / Like

Hyper Wash works fine on coated, sealed or waxed paint. Great wash.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You need a bit of non ph neutral soap to do the wash properly. A ph balanced wash is not going to cut any grease. Surfactant may lift something but that`s about it. You need a bit of that alkalinity to loosen up road film and stuck dirt. Even then most car shampoos are too mild to do a decon / good clean.
    So use what ever works for you in terms of lubricity, slickness and price.
    Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information