Post Thanks / Like

Anybody have experience with Optimum "Paint Guard" vs. their Gloss Coat?

I just got off the phone with someone at Opti/Optimum. Super nice guy. Very helpful and patient. I told him I was probably going to get Gloss Coat on my car vs. their Pro or Pro+ coatings due to the cost involved. The Gloss Coat is their consumer product without a warranty and he recommended "Paint Guard" over it because it`s more durable than Gloss Coat and has a 3 year warranty. Apparently, it`s a product that has been sold to dealerships. Has anyone here ever used this product or had it applied?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody have experience with Optimum "Paint Guard" vs. their Gloss Coat?

Never used it as it cannot be bought by mere normal folks: https://opticoat.com/page/optimum-paint-guard
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009
    Thanks jwyfk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only folks who have used the pro line of coatings are those that have been authorized by Optimum. Other than that Gloss Coat is the only coating available to consumers and many on here have used it. Gloss Coat is as easy as it gets in terms of application.

I personally was underwhelmed by it`s long term performance. On two occasions it struggled to make it a year. On one car it didn`t even get close to a year. Optimum reps said it was because their polishes were not used . Cop out if you ask me as other coating manufacturers don`t say the same. If it were me I would consider installing Gloss Coat on my own. It`s pretty easy to do. The hardest part is the prep if you need polishing done.

Also most cars will need a polish in a year or two depending on what type of weather conditions the vehicle is exposed to. Not to mention wash induced marring and the possibility of small scratches from daily use. If it spends a lot of time in the garage then it will last longer like anything else.

Another thing is that the warranty only covers so much. I can`t recall what was mentioned on the optimum synergy podcast as I listened to that long ago.

Don`t let my post deter you from trying it. Just posting my thoughts.

Good luck.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, jwyfk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even if it was better than Gloss-Coat I`d much rather have GC applied by a reputable detailer vs. the dealership applying Paint Guard to a poorly prepped paint surface.

Coating warranties are a joke.
    Likes Stokdgs, glfnaz, Oneheadlite, The Guz liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, jwyfk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The only folks who have used the pro line of coatings are those that have been authorized by Optimum. Other than that Gloss Coat is the only coating available to consumers and many on here have used it. Gloss Coat is as easy as it gets in terms of application.

I personally was underwhelmed by it`s long term performance. On two occasions it struggled to make it a year. On one car it didn`t even get close to a year. Optimum reps said it was because their polishes were not used . Cop out if you ask me as other coating manufacturers don`t say the same. If it were me I would consider installing Gloss Coat on my own. It`s pretty easy to do. The hardest part is the prep if you need polishing done.

Also most cars will need a polish in a year or two depending on what type of weather conditions the vehicle is exposed to. Not to mention wash induced marring and the possibility of small scratches from daily use. If it spends a lot of time in the garage then it will last longer like anything else.

Another thing is that the warranty only covers so much. I can`t recall what was mentioned on the optimum synergy podcast as I listened to that long ago.

Don`t let my post deter you from trying it. Just posting my thoughts.

Good luck.
    I had the exact opposite experience of The Guz (who has much more detailing experience than me). Have done two vehicles with Gloss Coat. Two years on one vehicle and going strong, and great shine. But I found applying it painful. Not hard, but you have to painstakingly squeeze a few drops from a hypodermic needle onto a foam pad and try to spread it evenly on the car. No fun. Can`t imagine how miserable the "pro" coatings are to apply. I did polish both vehicles with Optimum Hyper-Polish first.

I just did my 3rd coating with Gyeon Can Coat on a new car. Much easier to apply but supposed to last only 6 months. Only have a couple of months on it, and I top with Gyeon Cure, so it`s still holding strong obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

We install a bunch of Paint Guard and love doing it! As easy as Gloss Coat to install, but seems to have more durability. The cost is relative and still pretty competitive with other high end/pro coatings. Worth it to me.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I had them order some Paint Guard for my appointment, in addition to some Hyper Seal.

I`m not going to a dealership, by the way. It`s a detailer. Why are coating warranties a joke?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwyfk View Post
    Thanks guys, I had them order some Paint Guard for my appointment, in addition to some Hyper Seal.

I`m not going to a dealership, by the way. It`s a detailer. Why are coating warranties a joke?
    Look at the fine print. It`s very easy to void coating warranties. Some require annual inspections, others require you to follow a strict washing procedure. Miss the annual inspection date, run your car through an automatic "touch" car wash, don`t wash for a month or two....all of these things could technically void your warranty depending on the coating. I believe Optimum requires bi-weekly washing in their terms but it`s been a while since I looked at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Look at the fine print. It`s very easy to void coating warranties. Some require annual inspections, others require you to follow a strict washing procedure. Miss the annual inspection date, run your car through an automatic "touch" car wash, don`t wash for a month or two....all of these things could technically void your warranty depending on the coating. I believe Optimum requires bi-weekly washing in their terms but it`s been a while since I looked at it.
    I appreciate the warning. They sound like a good company, though. I`ll ask a lot of questions and make sure I follow their recommended procedure. Why wouldn`t I?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    We install a bunch of Paint Guard and love doing it! As easy as Gloss Coat to install, but seems to have more durability. The cost is relative and still pretty competitive with other high end/pro coatings. Worth it to me.
    So nice to see you posting Dave!!! I STILL remember when Opti-Coat first came out you prepped (including wet-sanding!) and coated your company car in Florida, a silver-grey Ford Fusion. No orange-peel in that vehicle!!

Edited 07Aug18 at 4:50PM CDT:
    Here`s the link to the thread from January, 2010 that Dave Fermani did to the Ford Focus (The first post is loaded with pictures of the process. It`s excellent!):
    GRAND FINALE -Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwyfk View Post
    I appreciate the warning. They sound like a good company, though. I`ll ask a lot of questions and make sure I follow their recommended procedure. Why wouldn`t I?
    Optimum make very good coatings. My original comment was basically just saying don`t choose a coating based on a warranty.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    So nice to see you posting Dave!!! I STILL remember when Opti-Coat first came out you prepped (including wet-sanding!) and coated your company car in Florida, a silver-grey Ford Fusion. No orange-peel in that vehicle!!
    I also remember seeing all the great posts and pics of that car, Dave Fermani !
    You coated exactly half the vehicle right down the middle..
    That was an amazing test you did.. Thanks for all that hard work !
    Dan F

Thread Information